PDA

View Full Version : Topspin

Verinsess
07-11-2009, 07:43 PM
What are the pros and cons of using topspin?

Steady Eddy
07-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Checkout this recent thread.
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=274021

Blake0
07-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Pros: more control, higher margin of error, ball bounces higher and speeds up after the bounce (feels like that for me anyways).
Cons: May lose pace (depending on how you hit it), higher chance of miss-hitting the ball (then hitting flat), and ball bounces higher.

Steady Eddy
07-11-2009, 07:51 PM
Pros: more control, higher margin of error, ball bounces higher and speeds up after the bounce (feels like that for me anyways).
Cons: May lose pace (depending on how you hit it), higher chance of miss-hitting the ball (then hitting flat).
Why would that be an advantage? Don't most people dislike bending their knees to dig out low shots? A high ball they can wait to drop into their 'strike zone' and tee off on.

tata
07-12-2009, 03:02 AM
Why would that be an advantage? Don't most people dislike bending their knees to dig out low shots? A high ball they can wait to drop into their 'strike zone' and tee off on.

By bouncing higher it makes it harder to hit so most people do retreat back a bit so they can hit it within their strike zone. But if you move back then it allows your opponent to start pinning you down at the back, hit a drop shot, come to the net and do a drop volley or simply hit an angled shot out wide around the service line areas.

If you are like me i would be camping pretty close to the baseline and take balls early on the rise OR you take a step or two back and use a extreme western forehand grip and spin the ball back to them and see how they react. My usual grip is between an eastern and semi western but if i feel like it i have no problems going extreme western and spin the hell out of the ball.

Noaler
07-12-2009, 07:41 AM
it depends on your opponent

OhDear
07-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Topspin is a pro, end of story.

Toxicmilk
07-12-2009, 12:22 PM
Personally, my favorite part of topspin is that it allows you to freaken smack it however hard you want and it'll go in...

Steady Eddy
07-12-2009, 12:26 PM
Personally, my favorite part of topspin is that it allows you to freaken smack it however hard you want and it'll go in...Sounds like you have energy to burn. What I like about flat shots is that you don't have to swing as hard in order to get good depth.

3lowdown
07-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Personally, my favorite part of topspin is that it allows you to freaken smack it however hard you want and it'll go in...

untill 1) it sits up and someone actually smacks it (flat shot) and in shoots through the court right past you or..... 2) you shank it 3 courts away.

ser_renely
07-12-2009, 12:54 PM
yeah, if you get someone who can handle higher bouncers, you are gonna be unwinding from your shot and boom, something goes mach 5 by you, a la Soderling.

3lowdown
07-12-2009, 01:00 PM
at about 4.0 is when just every shot being topspin ends. Learn to flatten balls out and be able to put them away at the right times.

Lotto
07-12-2009, 01:11 PM
By bouncing higher it makes it harder to hit so most people do retreat back a bit so they can hit it within their strike zone. But if you move back then it allows your opponent to start pinning you down at the back, hit a drop shot, come to the net and do a drop volley or simply hit an angled shot out wide around the service line areas.

If you are like me i would be camping pretty close to the baseline and take balls early on the rise OR you take a step or two back and use a extreme western forehand grip and spin the ball back to them and see how they react. My usual grip is between an eastern and semi western but if i feel like it i have no problems going extreme western and spin the hell out of the ball.

Also, if you hit with that topspin it will push you're opponent back as you said but it is also likely that you will get a short ball which you can then put away or hit and approach and volley winner....

ser_renely
07-12-2009, 01:14 PM
Yeah thats what I do, higher topspin balls to both wings, drive them back, and wait for the short one to crush.

Blake0
07-12-2009, 09:47 PM
at about 4.0 is when just every shot being topspin ends. Learn to flatten balls out and be able to put them away at the right times.

Unless you're nadal :).

And on the higher bounce thing..i just added an extra one that could be beneficial or not..depending on the opponent.

whoops i forgot to put it in the cons too..

Toxicmilk
07-13-2009, 02:02 AM
untill 1) it sits up and someone actually smacks it (flat shot) and in shoots through the court right past you or..... 2) you shank it 3 courts away.

Just cuz I hit with hella topspin doesn't mean its a loopy high bouncing thing.
I used to hit flat most of the time. But I'm actually hitting with more pace and a heavier ball with more consistent depth nowadays.... with topspin.