PDA

View Full Version : K90 to KPS88 problem.

asianxtreme
07-12-2009, 11:04 AM
Hi all,
The story goes like this...
Two months ago I sold both my K95s and bought a K90. I loved how much more control i was getting and I was just crushing the ball- hitting more top spin than ever. I switched to hybird strings and i got even more feel. I was glad that i made the switch.
Then about a month ago i bought a KPS88- i figured that even if the racket didn't fit me or if i wasn't strong enough to use it that it would just go in my wilson obsession's collection. The next day i brought it the courts with me and tried it out. To be honest at first it felt almost "the same" as the K90...but as i went on into the second and third hour with it i was getting more topspin and especially FEEL that i had never experienced before. I could really feel the balls POPing off the strings. It was great.
On day two when i went back to the K90 i was just getting warmed up when I tried to hit a top spin winner and the strings broke. Thankfully I had my KPS88. It became my main stick for about 3 days while the K90 was getting restrung.
When I tried going back to the K90...I couldn't?! I couldn't rallley or hit topspin or anything. I doubted myself like maybe i was just having a bad tennis day. Then i picked up the KPS88 and i was back! topspin, forehand, backhand, slices, serves, etc.
Now everyday i try the K90 for about 10 minutes till i just can't stand it anymore. I go back to the KPS88. The swinging feels all wrong on the K90.
What is the problem here? the Head Light factor? should i add lead tape to the K90?

conclusion-can't hit with K90 and can only hit with KPS88.

Larrysümmers
07-12-2009, 11:21 AM
Either get a backup kps 88 so you can still play at your best when a string pops. Or just add lead to the k90.

jetlee2k
07-12-2009, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the KPS88.. It took me about 6 months completely switch over from a K90 to KPS88.. you get alot more spin, power and control from KPS88 than a K90.. Mine is a modified KPS88 though.. A stock KPS88 for me is terrible.. I'll add a few gram of lead in the handle to make it 9pts HL and voila.. everything just clicked.

nBladed
07-12-2009, 09:54 PM
My stock KPS88 with vibration dampener and grip weighs 13.2 oz. I have modified my K90 with an enlarged butt cap (tape under the leather) and lead under the grommets (10 and 2). I have 2 K90s and 3 KPS88. All of them are around 13.2 oz. It is taking me awhile to get truly adjusted to the KPS88 but my K90 with its modified weighting has been amazing!! The racket has a nice flex and feel at the net that the beautiful beast KPS88 doesn't. I am using both rackets now as I am finding situations where I am not feeling the groove with one racket.

Gasquetrules
07-12-2009, 11:50 PM
If you can play tennis, you can play with virtually anything. You may not play as well with a racquet that is too large, or too stiff, or too heavy, etc., but if your strokes are sound you should be able to still hit a topspin groundstroke or sliced backhand with anything you pickup.

Heck, I can hit a topspin backhand consistently with a decent wooden racquet.

I find it hard to believe that all of a sudden you can't hit the ball with your old racquet... especially when it is so much like your new one. You may like the 88 more than the 90, but you should be able to pick up the 90 and go to work with it without much problem.

lidoazndiabloboi
07-13-2009, 12:25 AM
I agree with Gasquetrules.
With a good form and decent strokes, you should be able to hit with any racquet. A coach that I see at the courts I play at comes every week with different racquets. One day we'll play with a babolat. Then next week, a Prince. Last week, a Wilson Kblade. And today, a Head MG Prestige. His shots were all spot on and he never missed a beat.

asianxtreme
07-13-2009, 02:13 AM
I agree with both of you. Which is why i find it weird - if I could explain it i wouldn't be asking on this post. I have pretty sound strokes (conservatively i think im at least a 4.0.) *I am no coach though.

I am going to put lead on my K90 thanks for the advice- don't think the added weight will be an issue so that's good news :)

zapvor
07-13-2009, 04:32 AM
4.0 is good...you should be able to pick up any racket and hit with it at that level....

Keifers
07-13-2009, 08:58 AM
I agree with both of you. Which is why i find it weird - if I could explain it i wouldn't be asking on this post. I have pretty sound strokes (conservatively i think im at least a 4.0.) *I am no coach though.

I am going to put lead on my K90 thanks for the advice- don't think the added weight will be an issue so that's good news :)
To me, the KPS and K90 are different enough that, even with sound strokes, it would take some adjustment to switch from one to another. Given that you experienced the special capabilities of the KPS so soon after picking it up, I can well imagine the K90 felt somewhat lacking when you hit with it again.

Btw, I enjoyed reading about your experience. Thanks.

henryshli
07-13-2009, 09:13 AM
I have a very similar problem with the k90. I found that I wasn't swinging properly going from kps88 to the k90. I was miss timing the ball and also the k90s don't feel as solid on impact.

My second is just my opinion, I don't think the quality control on the k90s is as good as the kps88. Perhaps there was an improvement in production or something. I have 3 k90s and they don't feel the same. One feels particularly bad, may be they are not as well made due to the high demand from the market.

lawlitssoo1n
07-13-2009, 09:36 AM
it is probably because ur switching off from a heavy to light racket. when i started i used to use pure drive, and then switched to baboloat pure control ( a little heavier) then to the n90. and now i cannot hit with a 100 sq racket and it has to be at least 11 oz for me to play with it. so currently i'm using my kblade tour with lead tape on it. but why is it that you have 2 different rackets? instead of just having all the same ones?

Gasquetrules
07-16-2009, 10:23 AM
It's one thing to not play your best in competitive match play because a racquet isn't feeling quite right for you. That happens to everyone at times. But to not be able to pick up a racquet and hit basic strokes just hitting around is entirely inexplicable for a developed player. If the latter is the case, then you have technical flaws in your strokes; and you are likely to keep trying one new racquet after another trying to find that magic stick that will make your balls fall in the court.

I say you should find a good player to watch you hit and critique your strokes. If there are flaws in your game, a good player will spot them quickly.

Also, in my opionion, the racquet is only half the soution to hitting well. Strings are probably more important than the racquet. In fact, I think the more advanced you are the more important string selection and tension become. You can take the same frame and make it hit totally different just by changing tension in the strings... and then with all the different types of strings available there are an infinite number of possible setups for your frame until you find something that feels perfect. It's about like setting up one of these NASCAR cars to get the best possible performance on a particular track. Changing spring tensions and other suspension components along with changing tires and adjusting pressure can make all the difference between finishing first and two laps down and at the back of the back.

But you never get to this stage in perfecting your racquet/string combination until you have fully developed your game and know it quite well. Then you can try different frames and see what works best for you. And after that start playing with different strings and tensions. You will need your own stringing machine for this.

nn
07-16-2009, 10:27 AM
I have a very similar problem with the k90. I found that I wasn't swinging properly going from kps88 to the k90. I was miss timing the ball and also the k90s don't feel as solid on impact.

My second is just my opinion, I don't think the quality control on the k90s is as good as the kps88. Perhaps there was an improvement in production or something. I have 3 k90s and they don't feel the same. One feels particularly bad, may be they are not as well made due to the high demand from the market.

yes biggest issue with K90 & wilson in general and reason I was reluctant to get more K90. One I purchase feel so good & three demo racquets felt so different from each other.

Even when I put 4 brand new K90 on scale they were in range of 347, 351, 355 & 361. Just too much to take for $200 investment..

goosala
07-16-2009, 11:57 AM
Sell the K90 and buy another KPS88. Problem solved.

Elzurdo
07-16-2009, 12:17 PM
Also, in my opionion, the racquet is only half the soution to hitting well. Strings are probably more important than the racquet. In fact, I think the more advanced you are the more important string selection and tension become. You can take the same frame and make it hit totally different just by changing tension in the strings... and then with all the different types of strings available there are an infinite number of possible setups for your frame until you find something that feels perfect.

Completely agree with this comment!!!! String and tension selection, for an advanced player, can be more important than deciding between two similar frames.

In fact, I can assure you that the latest big technological revolution in tennis is not in the racquet, but in the string. Polyester strings changed the way we play tennis radicaly. Only comparable with the introduction of graphite 30 years ago!

Keifers
07-16-2009, 01:45 PM

Also, in my opionion, the racquet is only half the soution to hitting well. Strings are probably more important than the racquet. In fact, I think the more advanced you are the more important string selection and tension become. You can take the same frame and make it hit totally different just by changing tension in the strings... and then with all the different types of strings available there are an infinite number of possible setups for your frame until you find something that feels perfect. It's about like setting up one of these NASCAR cars to get the best possible performance on a particular track. Changing spring tensions and other suspension components along with changing tires and adjusting pressure can make all the difference between finishing first and two laps down and at the back of the back.

But you never get to this stage in perfecting your racquet/string combination until you have fully developed your game and know it quite well. Then you can try different frames and see what works best for you. And after that start playing with different strings and tensions. You will need your own stringing machine for this.

Completely agree with this comment!!!! String and tension selection, for an advanced player, can be more important than deciding between two similar frames.

In fact, I can assure you that the latest big technological revolution in tennis is not in the racquet, but in the string. Polyester strings changed the way we play tennis radicaly. Only comparable with the introduction of graphite 30 years ago!
I'd like to add one more factor: when one has reached the super-advanced level (as, ahem, I have), the color coordination in your polo and shorts and socks supercedes frame selection and string selection in importance.

:)

powerslave
07-16-2009, 10:00 PM
^ Ok just recieved my Kfactor tour 90 from TW yesterday and tried it out today; should say the BB ALU feels like metal wire. Anyways coming to the racket QC yes even I have heard pretty bad things about Wilson and it was very alarming when TW folks told me they actually weighed '36' rackets for me when I asked the rep to select the lightest and most HL one for me.
I am grateful to folks in TW for taking the additional pain for me , but this is not something which they should have been doing if Wilson had their done their home work.

I guess their Design team is top notch but same cannot be said about their QC/testing team.

nfor304
07-16-2009, 10:38 PM
so just use the kps88 then... no problems

nn
07-16-2009, 10:55 PM
^ Ok just recieved my Kfactor tour 90 from TW yesterday and tried it out today; should say the BB ALU feels like metal wire. Anyways coming to the racket QC yes even I have heard pretty bad things about Wilson and it was very alarming when TW folks told me they actually weighed '36' rackets for me when I asked the rep to select the lightest and most HL one for me.
I am grateful to folks in TW for taking the additional pain for me , but this is not something which they should have been doing if Wilson had their done their home work.

I guess their Design team is top notch but same cannot be said about their QC/testing team.

yeah that china QC is famous..never trust on quality which says made in china

Keifers
07-17-2009, 03:28 AM
yeah that china QC is famous..never trust on quality which says made in china
Your comment is off-base.

It's the racquet company that determines what manufacturing tolerances are acceptable to them. Dunlop racquets, made in China, have great QC.

supertrex
07-17-2009, 10:06 AM
Your comment is off-base.

It's the racquet company that determines what manufacturing tolerances are acceptable to them. Dunlop racquets, made in China, have great QC.

Dunlop is Made in Japan? or they changed it to China?

anyways Jetlee2k where did u put the lead exactly on your KPs88 ? Bottom of the handle? wrap around ?