PDA

View Full Version : Best way to get from 4 1/4 to 4 3/8 without affecting characteristics?

Mig1NC
07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
Hey gurus.

I was wondering, what would be the best way to build up a racquet from a 4 1/4 grip to a 4 3/8 (really 4 7/16 if there was such a thing) without significantly altering the playing characteristics of the frame?

IwishIwasbetter
07-12-2009, 05:35 PM
adding 2 overgrips wont really change the frame that much, but if you are sensitive , then maybe try buying a thicker replacement grip that isnt too heavy.

neverstopplaying
07-13-2009, 04:55 AM
Do you know about heat-shrink sleeves?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpage-SLEEV.html

They add a little weight to the racquet, but since it's all in the handle, they don't change the swingweight. I doubt that you can feel any difference when playing. They are also available in half sizes (e.g. to increase from 3/8 to 7/16).

Mig1NC
07-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Yeah, I had seen that, but doing some reading and searching on the forum gave me the impression it would change how the racquet plays more than say just adding another overgrip would.

Then again, I'm not really at the playing level where such minute differences would matter all that much.

canadave
07-13-2009, 07:37 AM
IwishIwasbetter had the right idea. Buy a thicker replacement grip if you can, and then find one or two thick overgrips and put them on. Obviously it'll add a tiny bit of weight, but there's no way to increase the grip WITHOUT adding weight, so it's the price you have to pay :)

You could do the heatshrink thing...I personally think the other way is a more elegant solution, but the heatshrink would indeed work too.

Alternatively, you could just sell your current 4 1/4 on TW's For Sale forum, and then buy a 4 3/8 replacement with the proceeds from that....

Mig1NC
07-13-2009, 09:39 AM
True, true. I was sort of thinking about replacing the stock grip with a nice thick leather one and then an overgrip like tournagrip.

neverstopplaying
07-13-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I had seen that, but doing some reading and searching on the forum gave me the impression it would change how the racquet plays more than say just adding another overgrip would.

Then again, I'm not really at the playing level where such minute differences would matter all that much.

The heat-shrink grip will not change how the racquet plays more than adding another overgrip. Also, the heat shrink grip wraps tightly to the original grip and is a fairly hard plastic, so it will be easier to feel the bevels than with 2 overgrips.

tennisfreak15347
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
you could buy a thick replacement grip and use one or two thick overgrips like the Gamma Supreme overgrip.

AlpineCadet
07-13-2009, 01:00 PM
The heat-shrink grip will not change how the racquet plays more than adding another overgrip. Also, the heat shrink grip wraps tightly to the original grip and is a fairly hard plastic, so it will be easier to feel the bevels than with 2 overgrips.

Have you weighed a heat shrink sleeve before? They weigh ~0.5 ounces for a full length sleeve.

[d]ragon
07-13-2009, 01:44 PM
What kinda racquet is it

Mig1NC
07-13-2009, 02:10 PM
ragon;3688131']What kinda racquet is it

Babolat Pure Drive 107.

Thanks!

Lefty78
07-13-2009, 02:53 PM
try the classifieds section

neverstopplaying
07-13-2009, 04:29 PM
Have you weighed a heat shrink sleeve before? They weigh ~0.5 ounces for a full length sleeve.

Yes, I have a gram scale and alwasy match my racquets. When swinging, I don't believe that a player feels the static weight increase much, and there is little increase in swing weight. Also adding overgrips also increases static weight, plus decreases feel.

Personally, I prefer leather grips, heat shrink grips is necessary, and tourangrip.

AlpineCadet
07-13-2009, 04:52 PM
An over grip weighs around ~6 grams.

Not sure about you, but going from 12.5 oz. to 13.0 oz. is a pretty noticeable change to me.

cork_screw
07-13-2009, 05:09 PM
The best way is to get epoxy and whole wood slabs. Measure and cut the wood to your racquet handle specs and afterwards wrap a replacement grip around that. Make sure to compensate the wood for replacement grip width. The wood makes all the difference because it preserves the shape of the handle and gives you the bevel grooves.

Zielmann
07-13-2009, 07:12 PM
I'd just go with the heat-shrink sleeve myself. I currently have two nearly identical frames. Same model, but one I had to buy grip size 2, as the frame was discontinued, and that's all the store had. I usually use a 3 with an overgrip. But they were very nice and built the grip up for me, free of charge (bought it at the mid west sports outlet in Cincy, OH).

Comparing the two frames (haven't gotten to weigh them yet), the balances are slightly different. But I can hardly feel that at all. Also don't notice the weight difference. So basically, the transition between the two frames is seamless, despite the very minor differences.

IMO, two overgrips should never be necessary. It makes the handle too soft, and actually kinda uncomfortable. I'd rather have the heat-shrink sleeve underneath to build up the grip than use two overgrips.

neverstopplaying
07-13-2009, 07:23 PM
An over grip weighs around ~6 grams.

Not sure about you, but going from 12.5 oz. to 13.0 oz. is a pretty noticeable change to me.

Agreed.

I weighted a heat shrink wrap myself to check: 18gm for 24mm. My racquet uses about 18mm to cover the grip, so net weight increase is 13.5gm.

I weighed a babolat overgrip: 5.6gms for about a 1/2 size increase, or 11.2 gm for a full size increase (2 overgrips).

Either way, the weight goes up. My only point is that swingweight increase is negligible. Using the USRA swingweight calculator, I entered a starting weight of 330gm and a swingweight of 320. I added a 15gm weight at a average point of 9cm from the butt: new swingweight is 320.02.

This could be another thread: what affects play: weight vs. swingweight?

AlpineCadet
07-13-2009, 11:26 PM
Agreed.

I weighted a heat shrink wrap myself to check: 18gm for 24mm. My racquet uses about 18mm to cover the grip, so net weight increase is 13.5gm.

I weighed a babolat overgrip: 5.6gms for about a 1/2 size increase, or 11.2 gm for a full size increase (2 overgrips).

Either way, the weight goes up. My only point is that swingweight increase is negligible. Using the USRA swingweight calculator, I entered a starting weight of 330gm and a swingweight of 320. I added a 15gm weight at a average point of 9cm from the butt: new swingweight is 320.02.

This could be another thread: what affects play: weight vs. swingweight?

Half an ounce to the handle is still half an ounce of extra mass you have to accelerate. And for me, I've had the issue before with my PST95, and the full heat shrink sleeve was very noticeable in SW, particularly on the serve and reaction volleys. It definitely tipped the scale for my SW limit.

rich s
07-13-2009, 11:27 PM
try the classifieds section

What Lefty said.......

Blade0324
07-14-2009, 06:35 AM
Bottom line that is being said here is that pretty much all options are gonna add weight to the racquet. If you really don't want to change the weight of it by around 18g or so you probably want to just get a different racquet with a bigger grip size.

Mig1NC
07-14-2009, 07:00 AM
Ok, so short of selling or trading it for a correct grip size, do you guys think this plan would work?

1. Get the thicker and wider version of TW's private label leather grip. Thicker, obviously to make it thicker, and the wider version to give it more overlap on each wrap.
2. Get 1 over grip plus a tournagrip.

I did some more searching and this seems to do the trick for some people trying to build up a grip size and may be lighter impact than a sleeve while still maintaining a good bevel.

Tennis Warehouse's grip that I am looking at can be found here -> http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageACZONS-TWLG.html

Mig1NC
07-14-2009, 10:11 AM
Missed that last reply while I was typing mine.

Yeah, I guess it makes sense that there isn't anything that can be done that will have zero effect on playability.

That's for the note on what one might consider the break even point where one would have to consider moving on to a bigger grip.

Mansewerz
07-14-2009, 11:57 AM
Half an ounce to the handle is still half an ounce of extra mass you have to accelerate. And for me, I've had the issue before with my PST95, and the full heat shrink sleeve was very noticeable in SW, particularly on the serve and reaction volleys. It definitely tipped the scale for my SW limit.

Agreed. You still have to move that much more weight.