PDA

View Full Version : The SlapShot Mini-Review

SlapShot
07-12-2009, 06:42 PM
Took a few frames out to demo for a while today, and wanted to write up my thoughts on them.

The SlapShot

I'm a 4.0 player, rely on my serve heavily, and am developing a pretty big stroke on the forehand side. I grew up idolizing Agassi, so I hit with a 2HBH and tend to stay at the baseline. I currently am using a MG Prestige Mid with a leather grip, Tournagrip, and 6g of lead at 3&9 o'clock (I have 4, and all 4 weigh between 357g and 363g strung). I love the ball feel, but I find it difficult to really inflict the kind of damage off of the ground that I like to, hence the demoing. Lately, I've been hitting with a Volkl PB10 MP as well, and love it off of the ground, but can't really groove my serve for some reason. I find that I prefer a mid sized head for some reason...:confused:

The Frames

Today, I took out:

KPS88 (strung with Duraflex 16 at 55#)
BB11 Midplus (strung with Prince Lightning 16 at 57#)
Babolat PDR Midplus (strung with Stamina 16 at 58#)

The KPS88

Wow. If all I had to do in a match was serve, this would be my frame. I grew up on Wilson frames (and had a long love affair with the Pro Staff 6.1 until I started having shoulder and elbow trouble), so the feel is exactly what I remember. The weight and swingweight didn't bother me in the least, surprisingly enough. When I found the sweetspot on groundies, it was awesome - lots of power, and plenty of spin. On serve, my kicker was really moving nicely, and I hit my fair share of unreturnables today, which isn't bad for a first time out with a frame. I have doubts as to whether this would be "the" stick for me, but it was a fun hit. No harshness in this frame, and a really sweet feel all around. I just don't trust myself enough off of the ground to truly believe that this would be the frame for me to live with through the long run. Awesome, awesome feeling frame though.

The PDR

I more or less took this frame out for giggles, and after watching Roddick's serving performance at Wimbledon, I was inspired. The first thing I noticed off of the ground with this was how quick it felt, but I've been playing with 12+ oz frames for a while, so I am used to more heft. Plenty of topspin to be found, but I couldn't really dial in my depth appropriately. Serving had lots of pop, and kick serves were really moving. I know that this wouldn't be a frame that I'd commit to, but it was a lot of fun to hit with.

The BB11 MP

I kind of knew what to expect from this, as I've been hitting with a Volkl PB10 quite a bit lately, and the Becker was quite similar, but had a few upsides to the Volkl. First and foremost, serving. The first serve I hit with this painted the middle line, and the rest were pretty good as well. Kick serves were really moving, and I felt like the power was absolutely there for the taking. Returns were fantastic as well - I like to try and take a hold of the point from the get-go on returns, and with the Becker, I was confident taking a big swipe at the return. Groundies were a similar story - plenty of pace and spin to carry the ball through the court effectively. I felt like I was playing "my" game again - total blunt force trauma from the baseline.

Of the 3, the only one that I was serious about possibly replacing my Prestiges with was the Becker, and it absolutely is in contention. I didn't perceive any loss of control with the larger head, and really felt that I was able to punish the ball effectively, which felt great. I've still got to demo the Becker 11 Mid and PB10 Mid, but it appears that I will be a Volkl/Becker user in the near future. :)

aimr75
07-12-2009, 07:08 PM
nice reviews.. ive used the BB11mid in the past and is a nice racquet.. worth a demo

if you end up selling the prestiges, and are 4 1/2 in grip size, shoot me an email:

aimr75@hotmail.com

:)

SlapShot
07-12-2009, 07:14 PM
nice reviews.. ive used the BB11mid in the past and is a nice racquet.. worth a demo

if you end up selling the prestiges, and are 4 1/2 in grip size, shoot me an email:

aimr75@hotmail.com

:)

The BB11 mid is intruiging - I'd love to be able to hit a more "lively" ball than the Prestige hits while staying in the midsize frame range.

My Prestiges are 4 1/2 - I'll drop you a line if I decide to offload one or more. ;)

aimr75
07-12-2009, 07:36 PM
The BB11 mid is intruiging - I'd love to be able to hit a more "lively" ball than the Prestige hits while staying in the midsize frame range.

My Prestiges are 4 1/2 - I'll drop you a line if I decide to offload one or more. ;)

yeah, im trying to think back as to why i actually sold the bb11mid.. was a good racquet..

No worries regarding the prestiges.. if you decide, just let me know..

btw, i swapped out the synth grip for leather on my MGPM's.. like the additional feel of the bevels.. :)