PDA

View Full Version : What should I do with a ball coming to my shoulder?

Roy125
07-12-2009, 08:34 PM
I usually just move to the left and hit it with topspin into the other side of the court. However, I'm used to the hitting from low to high way. What is a good way to move myself when hitting the ball at this height and coming towards me? I use the eastern and continental grip btw.

SethIMcClaine
07-12-2009, 08:44 PM
Smash it from a volley possition after moving out to the left?

Roy125
07-12-2009, 08:53 PM
All my coach really covered from volleys were to block them. He really didn't give us any instruction about movement for a volley besides that.

SethIMcClaine
07-13-2009, 09:25 AM
Start out out blocking, but step into in instead of swinging and break at the wrist for a little extra umph and to add angle (assuming your inside the service box)

In D Zone
07-13-2009, 01:06 PM
Slice it back (especially if you already using continental grip). Try to aim the shot to go low and to the open court. Think of it that you are hitting a volley. One thing to remember is to make sure to keep your grip on the racquet firm, otherwise, you'll loose control of the ball (unless you want to hit a drop shot).

gocard
07-13-2009, 06:53 PM
If it's coming close to me, I have this weird way of shifting to the left and jumping into the ball as I hit it, kind of like how Henin occasionally hits high forehands. My shot tends to be a flattish shot where I smack the ball starting higher up. I'm not that tall so I have often encountered this kind of high forehand shot. I don't consciously jump for it - it happens as I follow the ball's trajectory. I don't know what the proper technique is but somehow this shot works almost every time for me.

If it's a shoulder ball that I have to run for, then I would try to topspin lob it back into the court to give me time to move back into the center.

TsongaEatingAPineappleLol
07-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Move out of the way and drive it flat, man!

plasma
07-13-2009, 11:20 PM
eastern and continental are not built for shoulder height balls, These are the hardest balls to hit and require rotation and a more level swing.