PDA

View Full Version : I need some footwork drills. PLEASE

zammouka
07-12-2009, 08:00 PM
My brother has been playing tennis for close to a year now. I coach him and have had a little bit of experience coaching. His footwork is really bad but he has good strokes and a good serve. He cant get a ball in if he has to go from one side of the court to the other. Anyone have any drills for footwork, thank you.

zapvor
07-13-2009, 03:16 AM
theres a bunch....google it. have him constantly move his feet between each shot. maybe like 6 steps before he hit each ball

GuyClinch
07-13-2009, 04:02 AM
My brother has been playing tennis for close to a year now. I coach him and have had a little bit of experience coaching. His footwork is really bad but he has good strokes and a good serve. He cant get a ball in if he has to go from one side of the court to the other. Anyone have any drills for footwork, thank you.

First off I don't buy this "all you have to do is take more steps" stuff that is floating around here with regards to footwork.

Does he split step? Do that first. You should split on every shot. Then you step out with your foot closest to the ball.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFKfERXZyGU&feature=PlayList&p=DB0A14F974031F6D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=1

This guy explains the theory really well, IMHO. And he has real credentials to back up his ideas. Long story short - you only need a few steps to get to balls out wide when your execute your footwork properly.

Pros might take adjustment steps when they have time. But that doesn't mean you should take uncessary short steps at the start of the movement and slow yourself down.

Pete