PDA

View Full Version : Yonex MP Tour-1 Mid... Anyone care to comment?

fuzz nation
07-13-2009, 05:39 AM
I've been hitting with the softer frames in my stockpile and I recently put my pair of MP Tour-1's back in the bag to accompany my Volkl C10 98's. Not sure just what's different with Yonex gear in general - my theory is that their isometric head shape makes for a slightly different sweet spot - but I've suddenly struck on a real comfort zone with these old racquets.

Never tried the Super RD Tours, which are supposed to be among the best of their older frames, but these mids play a lot more like a midplus, they're nice and stable, and seem to have so much control that I can really swing out of my shoes and still land a lot of shots. I also think that they have a reputation for low power (maybe not so much as the RDX 500's), but if I stay loose and catch a flat serve right on the screws... I guess the best word is KA-BOOM!

Curious to know if any of you guys have some history with these.

In D Zone
07-13-2009, 11:28 AM
Can't go wrong with the MP Tour 1 90 or the SRD Tour 90. Both are great Yonex frames in my book.
MP Tour 1 is a tad lighter than the SRD Tour 90. I still have em' and play them from time to time.

The RA3000 Pro (in my sig) is the Japanese version of the SRD Tour 90.

Dennis Anyone?
07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
I've been hitting with the softer frames in my stockpile and I recently put my pair of MP Tour-1's back in the bag to accompany my Volkl C10 98's. Not sure just what's different with Yonex gear in general - my theory is that their isometric head shape makes for a slightly different sweet spot - but I've suddenly struck on a real comfort zone with these old racquets.

Never tried the Super RD Tours, which are supposed to be among the best of their older frames, but these mids play a lot more like a midplus, they're nice and stable, and seem to have so much control that I can really swing out of my shoes and still land a lot of shots. I also think that they have a reputation for low power (maybe not so much as the RDX 500's), but if I stay loose and catch a flat serve right on the screws... I guess the best word is KA-BOOM!

Curious to know if any of you guys have some history with these.

Hey fuzz, I believe those must the be Tour-1's I traded for your pair of Pro Ones. Glad to hear you're enjoying them. For me, they fall between the RDX and the RDS mids. More substantial but less feel than the RDX; less maneuverable but about as much directional control as the RDS.

I liked the performance with lively strings in the mid-50s. Poly seemed to accentuate any negative characteristics the frame may have. What are you stringing with?

Overall, a fun and solid racquet that plays bigger than its headsize. I perferred it to the SRD Tour. (Blasphemy!) It's underpraised and deserves a bit more of a reputation. But it looks like you have great taste in sticks, as the C10 in your bag is another beauty.

fuzz nation
07-14-2009, 07:57 AM
Even though I string some poly hybrids for some of the sluggers I know, I've been sticking with 17 syn. gut more often than not in most of my racquets. It can play soft and lively enough for me while still having a crispness and control that I've just gotten used to. These frames run well for me in the low 60's for tension - they seem to have enough flex to not get too harsh. The C10's seem better behaved up around 64-65 lbs.

Have to admit that those Donnay Pro Ones were one of the few frames I can ever remember enjoying with a multi or a synthetic gut (yes, I still have one). These MP 1's seem to put just a little more mass and stability up against the ball on contact, but they certainly took some getting used to. Not really sure what it was, but I've had both the RDS 002 Tour and the RQiS 1 Tour in my arsenal and they both seemed easier to relate with right out of the box. Maybe these MP 1's aren't quite as head-light as my other stuff, but I just don't get those occasional hot fliers or surprises off these mids like I might with the C10's or my old ProStaff 6.1's.