PDA

View Full Version : semi western kills my strings and my wallet?

looseleftie
07-13-2009, 07:13 AM
Hi,

Previously posted here not too long ago about whether I should use eastern v semi western. after a lot of deliberation going with sw, as i want to be able to mix it up with the young crowd in years to come, anyway...

my question, is in regards to string breakage, I have tried the sw before, go through strings every month at least if not more often, are there any things/techniques that I can do to help eliminate the sheer cost of the strings?? Any tips appreciated

I have used those little string savers between strings, jury is out whether they do maintain your string life or not?????

Take care Looseleftie

wihamilton
07-13-2009, 07:35 AM
The more spin you hit with the more likely your strings are to break. So it's understandable that a semi-western leads to more busted strings than an eastern -- it's typically easier to hit topspin with the former grip than the latter.

I break a string every few times I play... not much you can do about it.

Nonentity
07-13-2009, 07:59 AM
what strings are you using??

plasma
07-13-2009, 08:03 AM
go to pro tourneys, you'll find more modified easterns than semi western. You are a loose lefty but have chosen the darkside...trust the force....

WildVolley
07-13-2009, 08:04 AM
Using more durable string is one way to avoid having to restring so often.

Poly strings are definitely more durable, but depending on how hard you are hitting and how much spin, they might not last a month. Some people claim that poly is too hard on their arm, but that differs from person to person and to some extent on your racket setup.

jasonjm
07-13-2009, 12:28 PM
I play SW with a lot of spin and hard serve, and my string would last for about 4 sets maximum, until I started stringing all the way down at 51 lbs.....

now they last about 12 to 16 sets

btangel
07-13-2009, 01:27 PM
damn... you guys must hit pretty damn hard...

I use to break the NXT when I used a NXT/BB ALU hybrid after about roughly 16 hours of play...which by then I should've restrung anyway.

Since I switched to BBOs I've never broken a string.

aimr75
07-13-2009, 03:25 PM
Not suggesting you actually swap frames, but a denser string pattern (like 18x20) might also help.. but poly, or going to the extreme, kevlar should fix your string breaking problem

BU-Tennis
07-13-2009, 05:16 PM
How many racquets do you have? I use 3 like most people on this forum do and after a month of playing, even if the strings haven't broken, they are already in need of replacing badly. I string pretty tight for nowadays at about 60 lbs, +-3 depending on temperature. Plus, when using more topspin the strings need to be pretty tight and not move so you gain more bite.

But if I were u, i would by a poly string, there are some good ones out there that don't unravel because they are one solid piece of string and you only have to replace them if they break (which they probably won't) or when they start to move too much on you.

looseleftie
07-14-2009, 02:13 AM
I currently have only the one, although I use to have three, unfortunately my temper and immature racquet smacking has cost me dearly.. sob, sob!!

I am currently looking at getting a couple more racquets in the near future.

Just wondering as several of you mentioned that a particular string is particularly strong and so forth... I am looking for perhaps a string that will last more than a couple of weeks, yet not break the bank balance??? I know, you get what you pay for... But this is definately a factor in deciding to continue with SW grip....The eastern forehand is no dramas on restringing as I can get a couple of months out of them..

Remembering that I am a good club player (well use to be!!LOL), not a touring or satellie player, this is not my bread and butter, so money is a factor. Yet in getting back into tennis I want to get rid of my old school forehand, and trade it in for one of those heavy hitting topspin SW forehands. You know compete with these kids!!!

Love your thoughts
Looseleftie

albesca
07-14-2009, 11:21 AM
confirm. 6-8 hours of play max.
now i am able to string by myself and
buy only 200mt reels ... my wallet is safe now !

raq 2 x dunlop ag300 16x18
str dunlop mfil tour 16g

Ciao

DavaiMarat
07-14-2009, 12:39 PM
Hi,

Previously posted here not too long ago about whether I should use eastern v semi western. after a lot of deliberation going with sw, as i want to be able to mix it up with the young crowd in years to come, anyway...

my question, is in regards to string breakage, I have tried the sw before, go through strings every month at least if not more often, are there any things/techniques that I can do to help eliminate the sheer cost of the strings?? Any tips appreciated

I have used those little string savers between strings, jury is out whether they do maintain your string life or not?????

Take care Looseleftie

I went from a MG prestige mid to a Youtek Speed Pro and I went from restringing every few weeks to restringing every 2-3 hits. One time I broke a fresh set in 45 mins.

So guess what? I 'm going back to the MG prestige. I can't spend the time restringing every few hits.

Moral of the story is, if you want to do SW get a 18x20 and u'll break less strings.

Tim Tennis
07-14-2009, 01:04 PM
Once a month is not bad for having to replace strings. My pro strings my racquet for $10 and I supply the strings which is a pretty good deal I think. I did find that when I went from an over size racquet to a mid size racquet my strings did last considerably longer.

I love the SW grip and I do use a poly blend. I generally string on the low end.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

http://www.tennisgeometrics.com

fattsoo
07-14-2009, 05:26 PM
Get a stringer? The strings cost as little as $2 if u string it yourself. So $24 a year?

ubermeyer
07-14-2009, 06:04 PM
I think strings most often break when you take a big swing and don't hit the "sweet spot" of your racket.

LuckyR
07-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Switching to poly or kevlar won't solve your problem since although they won't break, they become unplayable very quickly in comparison to older type strings. If you like multi and are breaking it, I would use string-a-lings. If you are still breaking strings I would use more of them.

Tim Tennis
07-15-2009, 03:53 PM
Switching to poly or kevlar won't solve your problem since although they won't break, they become unplayable very quickly in comparison to older type strings. If you like multi and are breaking it, I would use string-a-lings. If you are still breaking strings I would use more of them.

Hello LuckyR, not to sure about that, the polys seem to hold their tension longer and have less of a tension drop versus the older type of strings that I used to use, IMO.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

Steady Eddy
07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
Get a stringer? The strings cost as little as $2 if u string it yourself. So $24 a year?
A friend of mine did this. He saves alot of money and his stringer was pretty affordable, it's not heavy duty like you see in sporting goods stores and tennis shops.

This is one reason I switched to flatter strokes. Now my strings last a season, and I only replace them because they're old. I'm not getting free stuff like a pro, I've got costs to consider. It's not worth it to me to spend lots of money just to win weekend matches. I'm not sure that I was even more dangerous using topspin.

LuckyR
07-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Hello LuckyR, not to sure about that, the polys seem to hold their tension longer and have less of a tension drop versus the older type of strings that I used to use, IMO.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

We all have our opinions but this is a common one on poly (from the Tennis Warehouse review section on poly strings): "Another downside to using poly type strings is tension loss. I'm not a prolific string breaker and have never snapped a set of poly string. That means I'm cutting out strings once I feel the stringbed has lost the performance I'm looking for. Depending on the string, that can be anywhere from two weeks to a month. On the upside, while the performance of the string may drop off quicker than that of a multifilament or natural gut, I know going into a weekend tournament that I can probably play the whole thing with one or two racquets and don't have to worry about string issues. I've found I can hit as big as I physically can with this type of string and not worry about breakage."

Tim Tennis
07-16-2009, 04:25 AM
We all have our opinions but this is a common one on poly (from the Tennis Warehouse review section on poly strings): "Another downside to using poly type strings is tension loss. I'm not a prolific string breaker and have never snapped a set of poly string. That means I'm cutting out strings once I feel the stringbed has lost the performance I'm looking for. Depending on the string, that can be anywhere from two weeks to a month. On the upside, while the performance of the string may drop off quicker than that of a multifilament or natural gut, I know going into a weekend tournament that I can probably play the whole thing with one or two racquets and don't have to worry about string issues. I've found I can hit as big as I physically can with this type of string and not worry about breakage."

So what happens to the tension when those "other strings" break. Just kidding, I stand corrected. I guess my game is not on the level to where I would even notice a drop in tension that much.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

DavaiMarat
07-16-2009, 10:35 AM

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

That's odd. All the literature I've read indicate that polys are the worst when it comes to losing tension. They actually look pristine because of thier incredible resiliency to breakage but the tension loss is worse then most multis.

Mike

Tim Tennis
07-16-2009, 10:40 AM
That's odd. All the literature I've read indicate that polys are the worst when it comes to losing tension. They actually look pristine because of thier incredible resiliency to breakage but the tension loss is worse then most multis.

Mike

Hi Mike, apparently my impression was wrong.

Best regards,

Ed
Tennis Geometrics

Bungalo Bill
07-16-2009, 11:24 AM
Hi,

Take care Looseleftie

That is why I use Luxilon Big Banger for my strings. ;) If you have good technique and you think your arm can handle it, try it. It will save you lots of $$$$$$'s.

saeta119
07-16-2009, 11:28 AM
A lot of people have tried hybrids to increase lifetime of their strings.

I myself used to break once a week until I switched to Gosen 17 Polylon ICE.

Damn things won't break, more often than not I have to cut them as they lost tension after 2 or 3 months.

just test dif strings see what works.

looseleftie
07-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Hey Saeta, are u telling me u never breaks strings!! Do u hit with reasonable to heavy toppin on forehands??? If I go back to eastern, no dramas at all, wont change a string for up to 3 months at least..

Is the Gosen 17 Polylon ICE expensive?? I just got my racquet restrung, cheap nylons, dont know what is the best combination of money and string life around?? I guess I might start with a poly and see how I go from there

Cheers
Looseleftie