PDA

View Full Version : High Performance Coach and Program

tacoben
07-13-2009, 08:03 AM
What does "high performance" actually mean and what does it entail with regards to juniors who are in this program? Is there an age minimum and player pre-requisite (level of play) in order to participate in such a program.

Thank you.

TennisTaxi
07-13-2009, 01:30 PM
Usually players in a "High Performance" programs are ranked Nationally and/or ITF

SoCal10s
07-13-2009, 02:25 PM
USTA will come calling if your kid is top 5 in the nation and sometimes even not.. they just pick and choose who they want,by their opinion of talent.. if I was a parent who has a kid in the USTA system I would be ****ed knowing that USTA spend so much of your dollars on these kids to send them to Spain ,hire full time coaches,provide home schooling ect. to tend to these selected kids.. while everyone else who is not in their inner circles have to struggle and go about it their own..

if some of these kids make it to the pro level and are under contract to represent USA in every international competition then this program may be worth it.. but here in the USA we cannot put kids under contract and most or all of these kids, so far, are not going pro.. they are going to play college tennis and will in effect never give anything back to the USTA system.. after all the free everything they got,guys like Evan King,R.Sarmieto ect. will go to college and so why is USTA giving them all these freebies to make them better for college tennis..

USTA has 100 million budget for the the 10 years to spread this money to promote tennis.. as I see ,why don't they just put it back so more people can have a equal access to tennis.. build those red clay courts and open it up so USTA(kids) member can reserve and have the experience to of playing on red clay, grass,and indoor courts.. build more places like the one they have in Carson and Florida all over the place and put it on a reservation system for all to use.. not just those elite selected few...

firstserve
07-13-2009, 04:24 PM
I totally agree with Socal10s statement. What the USTA calls "Promoting tennis" is feeding only a few favored by the USTA players. The problem most of the time with the USTA program is that the coaches very rarely choose to work with a player because of the attitude of the player but it is based whether or not they like the parent. It's not like the USTA doesn't have the money. From what I hear they have tons. There are plenty of eager kids with talent who are worthy of good coaching and being able to play nationals who don't have many resources.

TennisCoachFLA
07-13-2009, 05:09 PM
The last two posts nailed it right on. There is so much petty politics and wasted spending in the USTA that they might as well be a defense contractor. And why do we need the head of junior development to be an announcer...and Davis cup coach....and manager of his own tennis program in Miami...and....geez, isn't there a qualified person that could make that his full time job?

CourtingYou
07-13-2009, 05:26 PM
I disagree only in the situation of the USTA spending too much money on the top juniors. Its wise to invest in people with actual talent and have extreme value for the game rather than giving recreational players free facilities that they won't care enough about or keep up. Giving courts won't really give the USTA publicity like juniors who travel around the world ( because they travel around the world and courts can't move as far as I know). Its thoughtful to give the community a few special courts but its also thoughtful to help skilled juniors reach their full potential.

TennisCoachFLA
07-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I disagree only in the situation of the USTA spending too much money on the top juniors. Its wise to invest in people with actual talent and have extreme value for the game rather than giving recreational players free facilities that they won't care enough about or keep up. Giving courts won't really give the USTA publicity like juniors who travel around the world ( because they travel around the world and courts can't move as far as I know). Its thoughtful to give the community a few special courts but its also thoughtful to help skilled juniors reach their full potential.

The odds of the USTA actually picking the right juniors is slim. The odds of one of the few kids they support becoming anything is tiny. You need a huge base of talented kids playing tennis from a young age, follow them for years, then continue to funnel fewer and fewer into the elite program that show talent and beat the other kids in head to head battles. You have to start with supporting 10000 and weed out and weed out over years. You can't just pick a few that have the benefits of chasing ranking points and getting high rankings.

tenniscrazed
07-13-2009, 07:46 PM
^^^^^TCF; I've never asked for anybody's help on this board. However, I do need your help now. My son was invited for an evaluation period at IMG Bolletieri, I would like to incorporate this with a couple of tournaments as well. They want him there in the fall when the academy kids are there. Can you recommend a period of time in the fall, and any tournaments to play as well, upper level 16s

tacoben
07-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Thanks again for the information on high performance program. I'm not too concernced about the politics of it so, I ask this follow up question....

Is a coach who has a high performance background and/or certification, mean that he/she has undergone a prescribed way of teaching/methodolgy per USTA guidline? How long is this course? Is this the highest level of teaching (method) and any coach who has this certification should be considered very good? Sorry for being clueless, but my daughter was invited recently to hit with a coach who has this background and I was very impressed with his students and their level of play. As a result, I will be enrolling my daughter in his class.