PDA

View Full Version : Backhand Longevity

Cnote
07-13-2009, 09:20 AM
Currently I hit with a one handed backhand and have relatively good topspin and very reliable slice. I have been toying around with a two handed backhand and have used the FYB site and a local instructor friend of mine to learn the technique better. I have found that I can hit more penetrating topspin backhands using 2H but it seems like I exert more effort than with a 1HBH. Curious as to some of the "older" players (like myself) players in the 30's and older, as to whether you still use a 2HBH or is the 1HBH better in the long run. I am 3.5, RH, use a SWFH. I usually play USTA, WTT and 90% singles 10%doubles.

SethIMcClaine
07-13-2009, 12:24 PM
I've been doing alot of reasearch on the 1hbh and 2hbh debating if I want to switch to the 2hbh. Ultimatly what I have found is that 2hbh is used to have a more stable shot (basically it will help you with heavy shots) but youre 2hbh can only be as strong as your off hand forehand (actually a little weaker since youre choking up on the handle). 1hbh you can have more power with the shot, but youre going to lose alot of stability because you dont have as much of your palm backing the throat of the racquet. To get more stability out of your 1hbh you have to muscle the racquet a little more tightening up your kenetics (the free flow of your bodies motion). The stronger you are the less you will notice your kenetics tightening up, this is why you usually see young kids, some females, and older tenis players using 2hbh, they don't contain the physical strength to take a 1hbh and still keep their kenetics in a somewhat loose form.

Hope that gives you a little bit of enlightenment

Dreamer
07-13-2009, 05:35 PM
Even just the duration of a match, I start feeling the weariness on my arm with a 1hbh. I need to work out!

BU-Tennis
07-13-2009, 06:06 PM
You can hit just as hard with a two handed backhand as with a 1hbh but you have to remain extremely loose. But the 1hb when executed properly is much more fluid and seemingly effortless, but it is very footwork dependent, not to say the 2hbh isn't but you can use an open or closed stance with that so you have more options. I'm a constant tinker with my game, which is probably why I haven't progressed farther, but i have used 1 and 2hbh in match situations and both have pros and cons. Again, this comes down to the old saying "Different strokes for different folks," just use what is comfortable for you and not what seems to be the best choice. 1hbh vs 2hbh is like Fed vs Nadal, they can beat each other on any given surface on any given day.

aimr75
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
I have found that I can hit more penetrating topspin backhands using 2H but it seems like I exert more effort than with a 1HBH.

With the twohander, there is alot more body rotation required hitting into the shot.. hence takes more effort..

In D Zone
07-13-2009, 06:52 PM
I think its all up to ones physical condition and playing preference. There is no right or wrong answer.

Having played table tennis when I was in the teens, may be has helped me to naturally progress to 1hbh when I picked up tennis playing when I turned 40. I just felt more natural and at ease with the 1hbh. I would on occassion (very rarely) I would hit a 2hbh - only used as a defense when I really late getting to the ball.

1hbh does require alot more footwork and body rotation. I've learned to keep my feet moving to get to the ball especially when the ball is hit wide to your bh or short forcing you to approach your shot on the bh side.
You can drive a deep heavy topspin with a 1hbh - the formula I found was to keep my form relax, feet moving and hip and shoulder turn to give it a good whip!

Cnote
07-14-2009, 01:37 PM
Thanks for all the good feeback here. I hit with a friend last night and we pushed ourselves playing more for points and not true sets. I was much more comfortable with the 1HBH and could certainly execute my offensive shots better with it. The 2HBH really limited me with the wide shots and was harder to disguise my slice.