PDA

View Full Version : Ode to the MicroGel Prestige Mid

klementine
07-13-2009, 03:26 PM
It was just 18 months ago when I first strung you at 60 and took you out on our first date.... You were wearing that tight, dark red skirt and CAP'd top...

We flirted, and right away, from your classic, plush feel... I knew we had a chance....

Your tight, dense pattern put me in control, anticipating the next groundstroke, for as much as I tried and forced the point, you were so 'flexible' and comforting that I was amazed at your potential to make my balls spin...

Remember those shots together?... when I stepped in and shifted? ...you would dance all night and day with me... Producing some magical ellipticals with low trajectory and... yes... more spin.

You always served me well, you made me more confident... and did the work.. sparing my tendons.... And let those who say you are not who you say are.. a 93.. let them talk..., because I could always find your sweetspot and make you scream down the line...

You cut through the air so effortlessly.. even when we felt kinky and experimented with leather, silicone and lead... you still felt so comfortable in my arms afterwards.

Then, I began my affairs, katy the k90, yonex yolanda 001, katy's fat sister 88, my eyes would constantly wander and demo.... I left you sweating, in humidity, in bad need of a string-job.

I even let my 3.0 friends have their way with you, they scraped your bumper, dropped you and shanked you... while I was out, believing I was happy with someone else.

I don't want to make excuses, but you just couldn't stop talking.... in that metallic, tinny voice of yours... Until today, when I put that dampener on you, you know the one.. the one you gave me Head. You still had that old feeling, the one I fell in love with...

And yes... yes I was unfaithful... and retired you... but now... Well, it's not that I know what I want...,, because I may never know... But I know what I don't want... and that's an empty slot in my bag where you're suppose to be...

PrestigeMid...???? Can we put your buttcap back on and let me hit you from the back-side just one more time tonight? I didn't know how much I was missing you.

tribunal4555
07-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Very poetic. Although slightly disturbing :shock:

klementine
07-13-2009, 03:39 PM
Very poetic. Although slightly disturbing :shock:

Yeah... It's all in good fun though... I just hit with my Prestige Mids today for the first time in a long time... My other racquets are getting strung.... and needless to say... have fallen back-in-love with them. A really, comfortable, solid hit.

fantom
07-13-2009, 03:59 PM
I hope you washed your hands before typing that into your keyboard. :)

klementine
07-13-2009, 04:01 PM
I hope you washed your hands before typing that into your keyboard. :)

I took a cold shower.... EVIL SMILEY FACE!!!!!

aimr75
07-13-2009, 04:03 PM
you should be writing for Danielle Steel ;)

dincuss
07-13-2009, 04:08 PM
It was just 18 months ago when I first strung you at 60 and took you out on our first date.... You were wearing that tight, dark red skirt and CAP'd top...

We flirted, and right away, from your classic, plush feel... I knew we had a chance....

Your tight, dense pattern put me in control, anticipating the next groundstroke, for as much as I tried and forced the point, you were so 'flexible' and comforting that I was amazed at your potential to make my balls spin...

Remember those shots together?... when I stepped in and shifted? ...you would dance all night and day with me... Producing some magical ellipticals with low trajectory and... yes... more spin.

You always served me well, you made me more confident... and did the work.. sparing my tendons.... And let those who say you are not who you say are.. a 93.. let them talk..., because I could always find your sweetspot and make you scream down the line...

You cut through the air so effortlessly.. even when we felt kinky and experimented with leather, silicone and lead... you still felt so comfortable in my arms afterwards.

Then, I began my affairs, katy the k90, yonex yolanda 001, katy's fat sister 88, my eyes would constantly wander and demo.... I left you sweating, in humidity, in bad need of a string-job.

I even let my 3.0 friends have their way with you, they scraped your bumper, dropped you and shanked you... while I was out, believing I was happy with someone else.

I don't want to make excuses, but you just couldn't stop talking.... in that metallic, tinny voice of yours... Until today, when I put that dampener on you, you know the one.. the one you gave me Head. You still had that old feeling, the one I fell in love with...

And yes... yes I was unfaithful... and retired you... but now... Well, it's not that I know what I want...,, because I may never know... But I know what I don't want... and that's an empty slot in my bag where you're suppose to be...

PrestigeMid...???? Can we put your buttcap back on and let me hit you from the back-side just one more time tonight? I didn't know how much I was missing you.

boner
10charboneracters

klementine
07-14-2009, 04:20 PM
you should be writing for Danielle Steel ;)

I was just having some fun... but actually, when I'am not working, playing tennis or in the gym.. I do like to spend my free time writing...

Nothing like the jibberish that I expelled from my fingers above...

I just wanted to celebrate my reunion with the Microgel Prestige Mid by drawing a 'sultry' parallel between the racquet and a relationship rekindled....

The switch is for good, actually selling my 2 k90's-- already sold the 001's and modified kblade98's...and will hold onto my one K88. All in the hopes of grabbing 2 or 3 more Mids.

elyangoo
07-14-2009, 08:07 PM
katy.... yolanda....

haha u actually give names to your frames....

ak47m
07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
katy.... yolanda....

My LM Radical MPs are named Mona, Maria, and Michelle ;)

klementine
07-14-2009, 10:07 PM
katy.... yolanda....

Yes. Marie and Antoinette. And yes, I would storm the bastille for the revolution. No, ofcourse I don't, just a little poetic justice.

anirut
07-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Should've called the Yonex a Yoni ... :lol:

roundiesee
07-17-2009, 01:37 AM
klementine, what did you particularly like about the microgel prestige mid that was missing in the k90 and the kps88, and the yonex? Thanks.

klementine
07-27-2009, 08:48 PM
klementine, what did you particularly like about the microgel prestige mid that was missing in the k90 and the kps88, and the yonex? Thanks.

Sorry, just saw your post-- 10 days late!!!!

I like playing with polys (in a hybrid or full)

The K90 had great flex on flat 'all out' serves- but felt way too stiff and powerful on almost every other shot-- although the slice backhands and drop-shots are immaculate-- due to this stiff flex. I could never get in a groove with my kick serves and even with a full poly string-job, the K90 is way too powerful for my taste.

The yonex RDS001 mid is a great racquet, good flex with excellent control-- but I had to string with full multi to get that 'driving' feeling from my groundstrokes-- maybe the midplus differs in this respect-- thus -- i missed that poly spin potential and all out, no fear, go for gold aspect to my groundstrokes. As I've understood, the new Rdis 100 line is stiffer and solves this problem-- but I have never swung one.

The KPS88 is just a stick I want to hold onto-- believe it or not for doubles-- the placement on serve ( not so much pace ) and absolute 'brick wall' effect at net is crucial in doubles, it is not the most manuverable of frames, but I have mine at 8pts HL- bought it in a 1/4 grip and added two overgrips. In my opinion, it is a totally different animal than the K90-- way more powerful-- everything the K90 does well, the KPS88 does it on steroids (except for serves)-- both sticks do not inspire confidence on serve for me-- especially on kickers-- due to the flex. Flat serves are booming with both sticks- more so the KPS88.

Thus we come to the MGPrestige Mid. I prefer midsize frames-- what's the difference if you're hitting the sweetspot with a 90sq.in. or a 107sq.in.-- even in heavy, fast exchanges-- footwork and anticipation are the keys-- not an extra 5 or 10sq.in.Midsize frames help me 'center' my shots and find the sweetspot when swinging out. The MGPM has a nice flex-- which is appreciated at high swing speeds- allowing you to dictate play-- even with a full poly-job, the frame is not harsh- it has a ton of spin potential for such a dense pattern. It is the perfect blend between the RDS001mid and the K90 in my opinion-- it does everything well and gives me a ton of confidence at serve ( which helps out in those nerve-racking tie breaks ). It packs a punch-- but still is very control oriented- decent at net and volleying (my only gripe about the racquet stock) but after I customized it, it excels in this aspect. In the MGPM, I beleive, I have found the perfect compromise in terms of current racquets which are readily available.

Again, for me it's all about weight distribution and flex-- the MGPM is the great compromise.

roundiesee
07-28-2009, 06:56 AM
K, nice answer, thanks. Was just wondering if you've ever played with the PC 600? How would this compare with the MGP Mid. Thanks....

jwa1sh
07-28-2009, 07:05 AM

I dont' want to know where these poor racquet handles have been...

klementine
07-28-2009, 07:39 AM
K, nice answer, thanks. Was just wondering if you've ever played with the PC 600? How would this compare with the MGP Mid. Thanks....

Never played with a PC600, unfortunately, a little before my time.. but would love to get my hands on one...

Only prestiges I have swung are the flexpoints,liquidmetals(did not care much for them) and the i.prestige--

The i.prestige is a suprisingly stiff racquet ( stiffer than the MG's ) but the feel and response off the stringbed is so smooth and crisp, that the extra stiffness is balanced very well. Also a very well-distributed racquet in terms of weight.

I'm waiting for the flex specs of the youTek prestiges to see if they go back to a 60 rating or below... as they have done with the radical youTek line. I know there is no quality control substitute for the 'Made in Austria' racquets, but if the new youTek line is less stiff... I think I will save the $$$$$ and hold off in acquiring a PC600 or any other discontinued models.

lilxjohnyy
08-16-2009, 10:42 PM
hey im curious how your set up with lead on your prestige is. thanks

klementine
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
^ 3 years late is better than never. ;)

The final set-up on my mids was 7grams (total) at 3&9 and 27.5 inches long.

Still have one left. The other 3 cracked.

---------
Oh man :oops: sorry to bring this one up. I must have been unemployed back then and playing way too much tennis!

Lambo
04-12-2012, 11:53 AM
Prestige mg mid. Awesome racquet. For me it was always the i. prestige mid first then this came second. Beautiful plush racquet and easier on the arm than the youtek version.

kbui
04-12-2012, 01:55 PM
+1 on MG Prestige Mid; I still hit with them today, great sticks. I'm having issues with my serve but it's not the stick's fault :) This racquet hits great groundstrokes and is really easy on the arm :)

Question to Klementine79: what are you hitting with now?

klementine
04-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Hey kbui,

Flirted with many racquets since then. Including the BLXBlade98, LMRadicalMid+ and MgRadOS, BLX6.1 95 16x18. The longest tenure I had with 1 racquet since the PresMid has been with the Prince exo3T100 18x20- 6months and I now have some OzoneProTours on standby.

I was playing 25+ hours a week when I was swinging the MgPresMids. Even participated in mixed 4.0 league play.

My lifestyle changed drastically after that summer. Work picked up, involving an overseas contract and I was lucky if I played 25 hours a year. My rating dropped and I took on some extra pounds, in addition to lack of gym time.

Needless to say, my racquet choice changed as well. The MgPresMid works best if you play frequently and at least 3-4 times a week.

Still have that one. ;)

JGads
04-12-2012, 04:16 PM
Stupendous frame. Best player I hit with is a magician with it, and he's tried both Youtek and IG versions and says the MG is better. Microgel was actually a fantastic tech; the MG Radicals were also my favorite Radical line. Good, good feel.

klementine
04-12-2012, 04:23 PM
^Spot on Gads and I agree with that magician you speak of. I've never hit the originals... PT's..Pc600's... and anything before the i.prestige but have hit with everything since and the MicroGel is indeed my favorite.

A very unobstructive tech. Really felels like a graphite frame. A clean feel and never once did it bother my wrists, elbow or shoulder.

rudester
04-12-2012, 05:25 PM
This thread reinforces my long standing opinion that the microgel prestige mid was one of the best, my personal favorite of the prestige line, I also have the pc600, liquidmetal, and i prestige to compare, never liked the youtek.
I also prefer the microgel mid plus prestige. To other mid plus models.

jamauss
04-17-2012, 12:11 PM
Microgel Prestige lover all the way. Have more of it by far than any other prestige!
http://i.imgur.com/acVynl.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/8UED8l.jpg

OTMPut
04-17-2012, 12:47 PM
Microgel Prestige lover all the way. Have more of it by far than any other prestige!

you, sir, are cruel.

Fuji
04-17-2012, 06:06 PM
I love my MG Prestige Mids! :)

-Fuji

klementine
04-17-2012, 07:37 PM
^ We would be so lucky as to have the frames in your possession. ;)

Now that the temperatures are rising (humidity as well), throw out that wilson pro overgrip and make sure to wrap your MgPrestiges up with tournagripXL. It's mandatory safety procedure!
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z359/klementine79/PresMidWrecked.jpg
^Sad and brutal... I know. But if I can prevent another senseless fatality, it was worthwhile.

Fuji
04-17-2012, 07:52 PM
LOL! Maybe I'll post pics of mine here as an ode! ;)

I've actually been having a lot of trouble with Tourna XL lately, I'm not sure if I just got a bad batch, but the last few rolls I've gotten have been REALLY slick right out of package. They get really soaked very quickly and get super discoloured after about an hours use. Nothing like the Tourna XL I used about 6-7 months ago.

-Fuji

pshulam
04-17-2012, 07:59 PM
I have played with these Prestige mids: TXP, Prestige Pro 600, Prestige 600, Prestige Classic 600 (Trek font, various fonts, designed in Austria), i-prestige mid and MG Prestige mid.

I love all of them. The PC600 or PP600 has the best feel. The Prestige 600 is a little bit more maneuverable than the PC600. The TXP is quite stable. The I-prestige is crisp and solid. The MG mid is soft relative to others.

klementine
04-17-2012, 08:02 PM
LOL! Maybe I'll post pics of mine here as an ode! ;)

I've actually been having a lot of trouble with Tourna XL lately, I'm not sure if I just got a bad batch, but the last few rolls I've gotten have been REALLY slick right out of package. They get really soaked very quickly and get super discoloured after about an hours use. Nothing like the Tourna XL I used about 6-7 months ago.

-Fuji

^ Do post pics. This is the 'Bard of Avon' thread. Dedicated to our muse.. but in this case, our indiscretion will not serve us well... so share!!! ;) ... Sorry, been on a shakespeare trip as of late... Don't feel like reading the newspaper... SOS.

TournaGrip... I noticed that as well (when I was swingin'), seems to rip easier as well. As for the slick wraps, spit on your hand and rub it all over the handle, when it dries.. it really dries. I know, disgusting right?... I should get some saw-dust or a rosin bag or something.

Just make sure the ladies don't see you spit on your hand and rub it all over the shaft... if she does 'sneek a peek' and still wants some.. she's a keeper. :smile:

Fuji
04-17-2012, 08:14 PM
Hahaha! I've been doing a lot of Shakespeare for school lately, I'm really enjoying it.

Tourna has been ripping tons for me as well, its so odd! I swear Tourna is going through some production problems lately!

Here are some pictures of my Mids!

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/Fuji_Syuuske/IMG_3341.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/Fuji_Syuuske/IMG_3337.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/Fuji_Syuuske/IMG_3335.jpg

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g423/Fuji_Syuuske/IMG_3333.jpg

-Fuji

klementine
04-17-2012, 08:32 PM
^ When to the sessions of sweet silent thought
I summon up remembrance of things past,
I sigh the lack of many a thing I sought,

Perfect.Jealousy.

finalfantasy7
04-18-2012, 06:38 AM
klemetine/fuji/anyone, have you lot put lead tape onto your rackets, if so how much grams and where?.

as i used to play with k90, but bought 237.1 over a yr ago and love it, i just play with this stick now - im finding that it doesnt offer much spin.
i was thinking putting some 2 grams at 3&9, 6g handle - my usuall wear pattern is at this area, wanna inlarge sweetspot,

but thinking moving the 2grams up to 10&2-from 3&9,
also what tension/strings you lot have

Fuji
04-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Thanks Klemetine :D

FF7: I've used tons of lead tape over the years, and it's been great for me. As for what's on my 237.1, I honestly couldn't tell you. It was all done by RPNY and I haven't popped off the grommets so I don't know. I do know the handle is full of silicone however! I string it was basic syn gut @ 55-57lbs since my arm is all gimped up now, but before I was using full beds of poly strung at around 40lbs in my mids.

On my "MegaStaff" which had over an oz of lead place through out the frame I had it all piled on at 3 and 9 for massive plow, and about 0.25oz at 7 inches up on the handle. I find the more weight the better so I'm probably not the right person to be asking LOL! :)

Any other questions though feel free to ask and I'd be more then happy to help!

-Fuji

klementine
04-18-2012, 09:10 PM
^If you ever want to let go of those, send me an email. ;)

---------

FF7,
I just had 7grams total at 3&9, strung with 18g strings at low tensions (BBace @45lbs. was a fav in the mid), not much I know, but my 3 were all XL's (diy project) 27.5 in long... and they played amazing.

I don't want the last pic I post of my mids to be as 'mangled' as the one above, so here's one in it's natural state. Used the rad for reference, just to show the true length of them... well, 'it' actually... this is the last one standing.
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z359/klementine79/102_1700.jpg

Fuji
04-18-2012, 09:16 PM
Hahaha you'll be the first one to know, trust me! ;)

-Fuji

finalfantasy7
04-19-2012, 03:03 AM
thanks fuji/klemetine, just asking as im going to out some lead tape on mine, i was thinking 2grams each on 3&9 and i was thinking 6g at handle-(7 inches above handle) but i dont know if that be too much lead on handle, im looking for that extra plow feeling also, like on a prostaff 85, never added lead tape before
like how you got lead underneath grommets - fuji.

if you do sell those fuji - i would also take them off your hands

Fuji
04-19-2012, 03:13 PM
For sure mate! :)

RPNY does it all fancy under the grommets, and I've never personally done it that way! I like being able to remove lead "on the fly" if needed!

-Fuji

THESEXPISTOL
08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.co/instances/600x/40307745.jpg