PDA

View Full Version : Recommend me a racket around 60 ($95)

Gugafan
07-13-2009, 03:09 PM
I currently am playing with a microgel prestige MP....It's a great racket, nice spin and control with that buttery feel on contact. The only problem I have is the grip shape, which seems less then accommodating for my sw forehand. I want to purchase a second racquet with similar attributes to the prestige, though with abit more plow thru feel (the sw of the MGPMP is abit too low compared to its static weight).

I have always used head rackets (prestige line), and it was about time I tried something new. Ruling out another Head racquet, as I dislike the rectangular grip shape.

Predominantly I play from the baseline, flat one handed backhand and heavy topspin forehand. Feel is important, as I like to slice and approach the net....The racket that I was going to purchase was the Dunlop AG 200...Thin beamed, HL, >330g, midplus headsize. Pretty much ideal specs to what I'm used to. The only thing that put me off when hitting with it, was the high SW which may hurt the topspin potential of my forehand???

It would be great if anyone could offer me some advice on what rackets I should consider....

Thanks

PimpMyGame
07-14-2009, 03:00 AM
Gugafan, I assume you know that the AG200 is available for 50 in the UK?

Also there seems to be a glut of Wilson Pros Staff Classics on the bay at the moment, one of these may be ideal for a backup. Just bought one for 22 including shipping, excellent condition with original Fairway grip!

Lefty78
07-14-2009, 03:17 AM
Try the AG 200 in the 16 x 19 version if you're concerned about spin potential. It's also got a slightly lower sw than the standard 18 x 20.

Gugafan
07-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Pimpmygame, I cant find anyone selling the AG 200 18x20 for 50??

Jonny S&V
07-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Ok, I split these two quotes up since I think you have two really good options:

The only problem I have is the grip shape, which seems less then accommodating for my sw forehand. I want to purchase a second racquet with similar attributes to the prestige, though with abit more plow thru feel (the sw of the MGPMP is abit too low compared to its static weight).

Have you thought about adding duct-tape or balsa wood strips to change the grip shape? Granted this would up the grip size a bit, but it's a little food for thought. And as for the plow-through, lead tape is your best friend!

Predominantly I play from the baseline, flat one handed backhand and heavy topspin forehand. Feel is important, as I like to slice and approach the net....The racket that I was going to purchase was the Dunlop AG 200...Thin beamed, HL, >330g, midplus headsize. Pretty much ideal specs to what I'm used to. The only thing that put me off when hitting with it, was the high SW which may hurt the topspin potential of my forehand???

It would be great if anyone could offer me some advice on what rackets I should consider....

Thanks

I don't find the topspin potential horrible with the Aerogel 200, but you still need close to perfect technique in order to hit that heavy, diving topspin. If you are coming from the Prestige, the Aerogel is just a little more flexy (buttery, if you will) but the spin potential is pretty good still.

I don't know, I've dealt with both of these questions so I thought I should comment. Hope this helped a little! :)

Gugafan
07-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Today I used the Babolat Pure drive (Roddicks old stick). What I noticed was the spin potential was awesome for my forehand. I was able to send back loopy balls from defensive positions and stay in the rally. The only problem with these 100sq inch, open string pattern frames is they totally suck if you hit a one handed backhand. I just couldnt generate the angles, that I can with my prestige.

Is there a frame out there, that you can generate tons of spin with aswell as having that HL, thin beamed feel to suit a one handed backhand??

vndesu
07-14-2009, 04:28 PM
id say the ag100 sounds pretty good.
if not i would try to get your hands on a n90 or possbily the older 95 versions.

supertrex
07-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Liquidmetal Radical MP is really good. It is the easiest stick to customized. You can take the butt cap off easilly without removing the whole grip. u can add weight inside to make it more headlight etc.

PimpMyGame
07-15-2009, 05:05 AM
Pimpmygame, I cant find anyone selling the AG 200 18x20 for 50??

Sports Direct stores have them for 50.

fuzz nation
07-15-2009, 08:26 AM
You might want to read up on some frames like the Volkl C10, which can also deliver some butter on contact. Their PB 10 mid looks great, but you might not be able to land a cheap one yet.

You may also want to check out a couple of the not-too-large Yonex options. Their mids play bigger than traditional ovals and I also had a surprisingly good experience with the RQiS 1 Tour. I'm not a big fan of lead tape, but I gave this frame a little at 3/9 o'clock for extra stability and it was a terrific baseline hitter that also delivered nice crispness and punch for me around the net.