PDA

View Full Version : PT57E vs. TGK238.1 vs. MG Prestige MP

dr325i
07-13-2009, 06:07 PM
Today, I received my PT57E and two of the TGK238.1 that belonged to Volandri.
I am 37 yo, play 4.0-4.5 level, all court, Western FH top spin, 2HBH. Love the volleys. My serve is my biggest weapon, first is fairly flat, second has a decent kick.

RACKETS:

The PT57E (MGP MP PJ). This is definitely the PT630 mold, though definitely different layup, stiffer. TW Leather. Weight strung + Overgrip + Dampener = 355g (12.5 oz). Balance = 31.7 cm.
Strung with the LUX Rough at 55 lbs.

The TGK238.1. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung (7g of lead in the handle, 6g in the head) + Overgrip + Dampener = 348g (12.3 oz). Balance = 31.5 cm.
Strung with the Gamma Professional 17g @ 57 mains Genesis SpinX 17g crosses at 54 lbs.

The Retail MGP MP. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung (6g of lead in the head) + Overgrip + Dampener = 350g (12.35 oz). Balance = 32 cm.
Strung with the Genesis SpinX mains at 54, Gamma Professional crosses at 57 lbs.

------> Aug 20
The PT57A (Flexpoint Prestige PJ). This is definitely the PT630 mold, though definitely different layup, still stiffer than the PT630s I used. Head Finest Calfskin Leather Grip. Weight strung + Overgrip + Dampener = 355g (12.5 oz). Balance = 31.7 cm. Standard Length (27")
Completely Custom molded handle, extended for the 2HBH, Grip Size 4 3/8. Handle filled with Silicone.
Strung with the LUX Rough at 53 lbs.

THE FEEL:
The PT57E just feels perfectly balanced and I have not tried a racket that feels the same way. It is a very rich feel but with a great feedback. It is a tad more flexy than what I expected from the "E" layup, but again, just perfectly balanced. There is no lead anywhere on the racket, just a natural full rich feel. Very similar to the PT280. Great power and awesome control stick. Ah, and the sound it makes is just...different...

The TGK238.1 also felt great, definitely STIFFER than the Retail or the PT57E. I like stiff rackets, I would say that the TGK was probably in the upper 60's. I have almost 20g of lead on the racket to match it with the PT. Feels pretty good now, rich feel, but not quite as the PT57. Less feedback than wth the PT57E, probably due to the strings and its stiffness. Still, definitely not the same racket as the Retail.

The retail stick now feels a bit hollow (as compared to the other two), although still fits my game nicely. The flex fits somewhere between the PT57 and the TGK sticks, I'd say closer to the PT57.

------> Aug 20
Similarly to the PT57E that I owned, the PT57A stick is just perfectly balanced, and the feel is great. I was pleasently surprised with the stiffness of the racket. Definitely more flexy than the "E" layup, but NOT by much! Definitely stiffer than the PT630s I used before. Maybe the silicone in the handle and completely custom molded Handle (no pallets) helps the feel of stiffness. Great feeling stick. There is some lead unde the bumper, not sure how much...

GROUND STROKES:
I was a bit concerned with the weight and especially the SW of the setup, however, pleasently surprised...

The PT57E was amazing. Everything was going in and felt easier to return very heavy shots from my opponent. Previously, playing with the Retail stick and with the iPrestige MP, I had some issues returning his flat, heavy shots. With the PT57E, I felt more confident and it felt like my timing was improved. Great access to the spin, which I very much liked. The power is definitely above the Retail stick.

The TGK238.1 was equally impressive, although, I played with it already a bit tired -- an hour into the game. At first, it took me a few rallies to adjust -- it is hard to "go back" from the great and unique feel of the PT. It felt that my shots were a tad shorter with the TGK, but I contribute that to a different string set up and higher tension (as expected). Toward the end of the session, the tension loosened up a bit and it felt better.
Aug 1:
I believe I found the weight and balance of the stick that fits my game -- 348g, 31.5cm. That brings it to about SW of <330. The strokes feel very comfortable with a great balance of control and power.

The MGP MPwas definitely a stick that fit my game nicely. I used it for about a month now and found that the SpinX in the mains + Gamma Professional in the crosses is probably an ideal set up for my game. It was just a little bit underpowered to my liking, definitely so as compared to the other two sticks.

My FH, my weakest shot is definitely more solid and consistent. With the PT and the TGK, it is penetrating deep and with a great pace, so it may become my weapon down the line.
My BH was solid, again, a little more pace with the PT and TGK as compared with the Retail. Still, the PT57E felt the most comfortable hitting the BH spins.
The BH Slice is probably the area where I accelerated the most playing with these three sticks (as compared to the iPrestige, KB98, KBT and all the rest I tried previously). Very nice control and deep slice shots.
Aug 1:
My FH has dramatically improved and I feel very comfortable with the TGK. My BH went from more Flat (and potent) to more spin BH and more control, less pace. I am adjusting to this. The BH Slice is definitely great.

One areat that needs attention is returning the slices that stay close to the ground or returning the flat, heavy paced shots that remain low to the ground. With these heavy sticks and my SW/W FH, this area will need a lot of work.

------> Aug 20
Again, just like with the PT57E, the PT57A works for you. What is up with those sticks??? It feels so easy to return some flat bombs that I would not be able to put back with any other stick. the stability of these is just awesome.
The Spin access is great, just like with the PT57E. Power is noticable, yet very much controlled. I am just so impressed with the PT57s and they are so different (both layups) from any other sticks I've tried...

SERVES:
Tried a few serves with the PT57E tonight. The power was NOT there, but I was extremely tired tonight. However, I noticed that slightly wider string spacing as compared to the Retail/TGK definitely emphasized the spin/kick on my second serve. Probably LUX Rough added to it, but my kick was amazing. will continue trying to tune my first serve.

Very solid serves with the TGK238.1. I was able to hit nicely paced flat first serves consistently (I'd say at 100-110 mph). On top of that, directional control was great. Second serve (spin, kick) was solid and comfortable to control (direction). I believe that it will further improve with a different string setup.

I found my serves to be very comfortable and solid with the MGP MP. My second serve was less consistent than with the iPrestige, however, I could never get a kick on my second with the iPrestige. The directional control is good.

Aug 1:
I have not practiced my serves enough lately and it is visible :( . My first serve is a struggle now, however I contribute it to my toss that has been Ivanovic-like lately. When tossed properly, my first serve can be a true challenge for the 5.0+ player...

My second has a decent pace, good (and desired) placement, but less kick that I wanted, still tweaking that and will pay more attention to it. I have noticed that a player of a 4.5 and higher level can easily attack my second serve - especially a Lefty! I am dealing mych better with the RH players due to the Second Serve placement (deuce side to the "T", Ad side out wide).

---->
Must be different SW from the PT57E, but I had absolutely NO trouble putting in impressive first flat serves and very nice kickers (6+ ft kicks off the ground). The control on the serves was there too.

SERVE RETURNS:
Have not tried any with the PT57E, yet.

The FH returns were suprisingly OK with the TGK. This is THE worst aspect of my game -- the FH return, never mastered it and usually stuck with the Mauresmo-like slice/push back FH return. With the TGK, I was able to put back some serious returns.
My BH returns, where I felt comfortable with all of my previous sticks, SUCKED last night, not sure why. Will update...

Aug 1:
OK, so the previous comment on the Serve return was purely contributed from the serve itself -- still have a tough time returning 4.5/5.0 heavy spin serves that take you out of the court, but that has nothing to do with the racket performance. My level (4.0/4.5) serve returns are solid.

The Serve returns felt OK with the Retail MGP MP. The BH returns were stable and comfortable.

VOLLEYS:
Got some NET play tonight.

Ah, the PT57E. Miracle stick :) as someone previously mentioned (in one of the previous reviews) -- this racket does it all at the net. Excellent control and feel at the net. Also, feels so manuverable for its SW. I was able to return some super tough shots. However, the SW (over 350 on this stick) caught up with me. After about 15 minutes, it started to feel "heavy" and I was getting tired.

I also got some time with the TGK238.1 at the net. Also great response, great control, but definitely feels stiffer at the net and my returns were not as deep and sharp (controlled) as with the PT. What really shone (is that the correct word???) is the OVERHEADS!!! I was never consistent with the overheads at the net -- with the TGK, I am 10/10.

------> Aug 20
And just like with the PT57E, the PT57A does it for you on the volleys -- very stable, ecellent feel, depth... Feels very much manuverable at the net. Did not tire me out, therefore, I assume the SW of this stick is lower than the PT57E I used to have...

jetlee2k
07-13-2009, 09:00 PM
I am 37 yo, play 4.0-4.5 level, all court, SW FH top spin, 2HBH. Love the volleys. My serve is my biggest weapon, first is fairly flat, second has a decent kick.

RACKETS:

The PT57E (MGP MP PJ). This is definitely the PT630 mold, though definitely different layup, stiffer. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung + Overgrip + Dampener = 352g (12.4 oz). Balance = 32 cm.

The TGK238.1. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung (8g of lead in the handle, 10g in the head) + Overgrip + Dampener = 352g (12.4 oz). Balance = 31.8 cm.
Strung with the Blue gear mains maxim touch crosses at 57 lbs.

The Retail MGP MP. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung (6g of lead in the head) + Overgrip + Dampener = 350g (12.35 oz). Balance = 32 cm.
Strung with the Genesis SpinX mains at 54, Gamma Professional crosses at 57 lbs.

Review to come...

the PT75E is it standard length or 27.5" ?? made in Austria? I have 2 in 27.5" with the old pro tour butt cap.. it's hefty though..

Mdubb23
07-14-2009, 02:37 AM
I am 37 yo, play 4.0-4.5 level, all court, SW FH top spin, 2HBH. Love the volleys. My serve is my biggest weapon, first is fairly flat, second has a decent kick.

RACKETS:

The PT57E (MGP MP PJ). This is definitely the PT630 mold, though definitely different layup, stiffer. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung + Overgrip + Dampener = 352g (12.4 oz). Balance = 32 cm.

The TGK238.1. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung (8g of lead in the handle, 10g in the head) + Overgrip + Dampener = 352g (12.4 oz). Balance = 31.8 cm.

Review to come...

Looking forward to it!

dr325i
07-14-2009, 03:48 AM
the PT75E is it standard length or 27.5" ?? made in Austria? I have 2 in 27.5" with the old pro tour butt cap.. it's hefty though..

All rackets are 27" (standard) length. As you probably know, the PT57 is indeed a hefty stick (the SW is around 350 on mine), however, the feel is just different from anything else I played with (including the Volandri TGKs).

Will do the write-up in a few days...

dr325i
07-14-2009, 05:56 AM
added a few things in the review...

tribunal4555
07-14-2009, 06:03 AM

RACKETS:

The PT57E (MGP MP PJ). This is definitely the PT630 mold, though definitely different layup, stiffer. TW Leather. Weight strung + Overgrip + Dampener = 355g (12.5 oz). Balance = 31.7 cm.

The TGK238.1. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung (8g of lead in the handle, 11g in the head) + Overgrip + Dampener = 354g (12.5 oz). Balance = 31.8 cm.

THE FEEL:
The PT57E just feels perfectly balanced and I have not tried a racket that feels the same way. It is a very rich feel but with a great feedback. It is a tad more flexy than what I expected from the "E" layup, but again, just perfectly balanced. There is no lead anywhere on the racket, just a natural full rich feel. Very similar to the PT280. Great power and awesome control stick. Ah, and the sound it makes is just...different...

The TGK238.1 also felt great, definitely STIFFER than the Retail or the PT57E. I like stiff rackets, I would say that the TGK was probably in the upper 60's. I have almost 20g of lead on the racket to match it with the PT. Feels pretty good now, rich feel, but not quite as the PT57. Less feedback than wth the PT57E, probably due to the strings and its stiffness. Still, definitely not the same racket as the Retail.

The retail stick now feels a bit hollow (as compared to the other two), although still fits my game nicely. The flex fits somewhere between the PT57 and the TGK sticks, I'd say closer to the PT57.

GROUND STROKES:
I was a bit concerned with the weight and especially the SW of the setup, however, pleasently surprised...

The PT57E was amazing. Everything was going in and felt easier to return very heavy shots from my opponent. Previously, playing with the Retail stick and with the iPrestige MP, I had some issues returning his flat, heavy shots. With the PT57E, I felt more confident and it felt like my timing was improved. Great access to the spin, which I very much liked. The power is definitely above the Retail stick.

The TGK238.1 was equally impressive, although, I played with it already a bit tired -- an hour into the game. At first, it took me a few rallies to adjust -- it is hard to "go back" from the great and unique feel of the PT. It felt that my shots were a tad shorter with the TGK, but I contribute that to a different string set up and higher tension (as expected). Toward the end of the session, the tension loosened up a bit and it felt better.

The MGP MPwas definitely a stick that fit my game nicely. I used it for about a month now and found that the SpinX in the mains + Gamma Professional in the crosses is probably an ideal set up for my game. It was just a little bit underpowered to my liking, definitely so as compared to the other two sticks.

My FH, my weakest shot is definitely more solid and consistent. With the PT and the TGK, it is penetrating deep and with a great pace, so it may become my weapon down the line.
My BH was solid, again, a little more pace with the PT and TGK as compared with the Retail. Still, the PT57E felt the most comfortable hitting the BH spins.
The BH Slice is probably the area where I accelerated the most playing with these three sticks (as compared to the iPrestige, KB98, KBT and all the rest I tried previously). Very nice control and deep slice shots.

One areat that needs attention is returning the slices that stay close to the ground or returning the flat, heavy paced shots that remain low to the ground. With these heavy sticks and my SW/W FH, this area will need a lot of work.

SERVES:

Very solid serves with the TGK238.1. I was able to hit nicely paced flat first serves consistently (I'd say at 100-110 mph). On top of that, directional control was great. Second serve (spin, kick) was solid and comfortable to control (direction). I believe that it will further improve with a different string setup.

I found my serves to be very comfortable and solid with the MGP MP. My second serve was less consistent than with the iPrestige, however, I could never get a kick on my second with the iPrestige. The directional control is good.

SERVE RETURNS:

The FH returns were suprisingly OK with the TGK. This is THE worst aspect of my game -- the FH return, never mastered it and usually stuck with the Mauresmo-like slice/push back FH return. With the TGK, I was able to put back some serious returns.
My BH returns, where I felt comfortable with all of my previous sticks, SUCKED last night, not sure why. Will update...

The Serve returns felt OK with the Retail MGP MP. The BH returns were stable and comfortable.

VOLLEYS:
Not enough data at this point

More to come...

Really nice review! Can't wait until volleys update- major part of my game :twisted:

Mdubb23
07-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Great, great review. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this (I'm a top 25 all court/serve and volleying junior in the country with 4 TGK238.1s, and I want to know if it's worth it to burn some cash on some PT57E's), and I can't wait for the volley part.

dr325i
07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Great, great review. I really appreciate you taking the time to do this (I'm a top 25 all court/serve and volleying junior in the country with 4 TGK238.1s, and I want to know if it's worth it to burn some cash on some PT57E's), and I can't wait for the volley part.

Very different sticks. I am not sure if all PT57E's are matched, or individually built for the Pros, that could be an issue.
I like the flexibility of the TGK for customization. The PT came at 350g (12.4 oz), not much room to customize it. Luckily, the weight and balance fit me great.

If you ever get a chance to try the PT57E, you must do so. Three of the PT630's I had -- had that feel, but were much more flexy then the "E".

Mdubb23
07-14-2009, 07:27 AM
Very different sticks. I am not sure if all PT57E's are matched, or individually built for the Pros, that could be an issue.
I like the flexibility of the TGK for customization. The PT came at 350g (12.4 oz), not much room to customize it. Luckily, the weight and balance fit me great.

If you ever get a chance to try the PT57E, you must do so. Three of the PT630's I had -- had that feel, but were much more flexy then the "E".

I love heavy racquets though; my TGK238.1s are 350g unstrung (12.8-12.9 oz strung).

ipitythefool
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Are there no lead strips under the bumper of the PT57E?
Imo there has to be. Because as far as I know, these racquets are much lighter than stock PT630s, to allow room for customization.
I have a 27.5 inch Gilles Simon PT57A and can clearly see the strips right at 12pm through the tiny gap where two bumpers meet (and silicone in handle through the tiny hole under the black head sticker at buttcap)
This racquet has the best balance ever among tons of racqs I have. Also have an MIA PT630. Aside from the mold/looks, PT57A has nothing to do with PT630. They play completely different. (of course, every pro has a different set-up)

ronalditop
07-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Imo there has to be. Because as far as I know, these racquets are much lighter than stock PT630s, to allow room for customization.
I have a 27.5 inch Gilles Simon PT57A and can clearly see the strips right at 12pm through the tiny gap where two bumpers meet (and silicone in handle through the tiny hole under the black head sticker at buttcap)
This racquet has the best balance ever among tons of racqs I have. Also have an MIA PT630. Aside from the mold/looks, PT57A has nothing to do with PT630. They play completely different. (of course, every pro has a different set-up)

one question: what exactly do you mean when you say that that racquet has "the best balance"?

jetlee2k
07-14-2009, 11:30 AM
My PT57E felt almost identical to a I.Prestige MIDPLUS.. it's stiffer than a Protour 630.. I don't think I like it that stiff actually.. I love the weight and balance on it.. It is custom 350g & 355g... It does not have a retangular head pallet though.. it felt more like a Wilson mold.. Mine is 27.5 (or 27.25") long with a longer pallet for a 2handers.. The grip is 4 3/8 which is alittle bit big for me so I play it barely with no overgrip.. very very nice feel actually but I think for $400USD plus I would go for 2 Protour 630.. !!

dr325i
07-14-2009, 01:27 PM

No Lead anywhere.

dr325i
07-14-2009, 01:29 PM
My PT57E felt almost identical to a I.Prestige MIDPLUS.. it's stiffer than a Protour 630.. I don't think I like it that stiff actually.. I love the weight and balance on it.. It is custom 350g & 355g... It does not have a retangular head pallet though.. it felt more like a Wilson mold.. Mine is 27.5 (or 27.25") long with a longer pallet for a 2handers.. The grip is 4 3/8 which is alittle bit big for me so I play it barely with no overgrip.. very very nice feel actually but I think for $400USD plus I would go for 2 Protour 630.. !!

My (3) iPrestiges were way stiffer than the PT57E. The PT630 was way too flexy for me, did not like that.
WHy would you pay $400+ for any racket? :)

ipitythefool
07-14-2009, 03:16 PM
one question: what exactly do you mean when you say that that racquet has "the best balance"?

Well I consider this racquet to have the best balance in comparison to my other racquets. To try and explain, my PT57A is lighter in static weight compared to my PT630 (I believed it weighed 370gr), but a substantial amount of weight is at 10-2 area, due to lead strips under bumper. So, even though it is a long racquet (it may be 27.25 or 27inch didnt measure perfectly) it is perfectly maneuverable, yet it will definitely hold its own against hard hit shots, due to add'l weight in upper head. Basically, if this racquet had slightly heavier SW and/or weight, I would consider it sluggish. If it was any slightly on the lighter side, it would be unstable. Just right, this is what I mean.

ronalditop
07-14-2009, 04:57 PM
Well I consider this racquet to have the best balance in comparison to my other racquets. To try and explain, my PT57A is lighter in static weight compared to my PT630 (I believed it weighed 370gr), but a substantial amount of weight is at 10-2 area, due to lead strips under bumper. So, even though it is a long racquet (it may be 27.25 or 27inch didnt measure perfectly) it is perfectly maneuverable, yet it will definitely hold its own against hard hit shots, due to add'l weight in upper head. Basically, if this racquet had slightly heavier SW and/or weight, I would consider it sluggish. If it was any slightly on the lighter side, it would be unstable. Just right, this is what I mean.

Ok thanks very much for the explanation.

hrstrat57
07-15-2009, 06:48 PM
Great thread, thanks...looking forward to reading more!

Have 2 i prestige mp's and mia i radical mp...but always looking for a pt57 or 630/280

PED
07-16-2009, 06:25 PM
No Lead anywhere.

That surprises me as well. There was a thread around last christmas time by PSP2 that was really good. From what I've read on these boards by people like VS Babolat, I was under the impression that all the PT's were lighter at stock to leave room for lead and or silicone. That's one of the things I love about the Prestiges - I can hide my lead at 3 and 9.

Either way, you've done a great review, the TGK's sound like the way to go. They were pretty accessible at RPNY when the MG Prestige came out in Jan 08 but the supply dried up quickly. I guess I'll keep my eyes open next year when the Youtek Prestige comes out. Thanks for the nice work on the reviews :)

Here's the link to PSP2's review last year:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=235893

I thought about taking the MP off of your hands in the sale section but I ilke the Head grip shape better than the wilson ;)

dr325i
07-16-2009, 06:39 PM
Really nice review! Can't wait until volleys update- major part of my game :twisted:

Added the VOLLEYS Details. THe PT57 is really exceptional at the net if you can handle the SW. The ideal SW for me is about 330-335. The PT57E that I have is about 355 which can drain me...

klementine79
07-16-2009, 06:42 PM
I'm extremely, insatiably, unsuitably JEALOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

dr325i
07-16-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm extremely, insatiably, unsuitably JEALOUS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can have the retail one cheap -- see the For Sale Section :)

klementine79
07-16-2009, 06:53 PM
You can have the retail one cheap -- see the For Sale Section :)

Sure, I'll just inject it with more microgel so it won't feel like PVC tubing at impact. ;)

That's why I decided to go with the mids, to avoid that complete hollow, plastic, tinny mess.

I don't know if you've mentioned this, but is there any way you can measure the beam widths of the PT57E and TGK238, or at least compare them to width of the retail Mid+ ?

ipitythefool
07-17-2009, 02:40 AM

I think, there is nothing to be jealous about. Playing with a PT57A-E racquet will not make the racquet holder a Volandri or Gilles Simon :)

PED
07-17-2009, 03:35 AM
Added the VOLLEYS Details. THe PT57 is really exceptional at the net if you can handle the SW. The ideal SW for me is about 330-335. The PT57E that I have is about 355 which can drain me...

Dr, since your ideal SW is in the above range, will you end up taking off some lead from the TGK's to bring down the SW into your range or will you try to adapt?

dr325i
07-17-2009, 03:42 AM
Dr, since your ideal SW is in the above range, will you end up taking off some lead from the TGK's to bring down the SW into your range or will you try to adapt?

I did: The TGK238.1. Head Calfskin Leather. Weight strung (8g of lead in the handle, 5g in the head) + Overgrip + Dampener = 349g (12.3 oz). Balance = 31.5 cm. SW = ~330
Strung with the Genesis Spin X 17g @ 54 mains, Gamma Professional 17g crosses at 57 lbs.

dr325i
07-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Sure, I'll just inject it with more microgel so it won't feel like PVC tubing at impact. ;)

That's why I decided to go with the mids, to avoid that complete hollow, plastic, tinny mess.

I don't know if you've mentioned this, but is there any way you can measure the beam widths of the PT57E and TGK238, or at least compare them to width of the retail Mid+ ?

I did not measure it, but the beam looks the same on all of them (21 mm). Maybe I should do that...
One thing for sure is the frame width (looking at the string bed directly) of the PT57 is wider than the others (different mold).

A few shots:

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/8470/p1000011.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/9448/p1000014l.jpg

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6348/p1000019v.jpg

PED
07-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Got it, I saw that 11g in the head in the first post.

That sounds about perfect, my Pres Pro's weigh 345g with an sw of 329 and that works out just about right in the balance between sheer grunt and also being able to get it around in time. The TGK's must come a bit lighter stock to have the leather and lead added and only weigh 349 but I guess the regular MP is also a bit lighter than the Pro.

dr325i
07-17-2009, 03:53 AM
Got it, I saw that 11g in the head in the first post.

That sounds about perfect, my Pres Pro's weigh 345g with an sw of 329 and that works out just about right in the balance between sheer grunt and also being able to get it around in time. The TGK's must come a bit lighter stock to have the leather and lead added and only weigh 349 but I guess the regular MP is also a bit lighter than the Pro.

yep, the TGK comes lighter than the stock MGPMP and the balance is different.

Lefty78
07-18-2009, 05:56 AM
Dan,
You up for some more playtesting Mon eve at Patchreef?

dr325i
07-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Dan,
You up for some more playtesting Mon eve at Patchreef?

HAH, will be in Canada whole next week, maybe Friday?

BTW, you can also add to my impressions about the rackets. Felt like my game was up with the PT57E...until I got tired :(

Lefty78
07-18-2009, 10:52 AM
So you're dodging me until Friday, eh? Hope the trip goes well.

As your testing has involved several sessions, I can only speak for the parts of your game that I saw.

GROUND STROKES:
I was a bit concerned with the weight and especially the SW of the setup, however, pleasantly surprised...

From the other side of the net, your pace, depth, and consistency were the best I have seen them.

The TGK238.1 was equally impressive, although, I played with it already a bit tired -- an hour into the game.

I'll try not to tire you out so much next time. :) Very little drop off with the TGK.

SERVES:

The best I have seen you serve, no doubt.

SERVE RETURNS:

Was totally mystified by your BH returns with the TGK, you're telling it straight.

From what I have seen and read, the SW of the PT57E might be a touch high for you, especially on serve, which is a shame because the frame is so addictive. As you were kind enough to offer me a hit with it, I can verify that it's a true pleasure to swing. The feel was great, and comfy, even with a full Lux job. And that sound, it felt like... quality. Had to put it down before I got too used to it. The PT has definitely earned its reputation, but the SW isn't for everyone.

My verdict is that with a little tweaking on the setup, the pair of TGK's should probably become your weapons of choice.

dr325i
07-18-2009, 11:55 AM
So you're dodging me until Friday, eh? Hope the trip goes well.

My verdict is that with a little tweaking on the setup, the pair of TGK's should probably become your weapons of choice.

THanks man!
I will text you on my way back :)
I am still experimenting with the weight/balance/SW of the TGKs...that is the beauty of them -- a lot of room to experiment...

PED
08-01-2009, 07:16 AM
I wanted to add a little more feedback to this thread. After buying the MGMP from dr325(and glad I did), I've been experimenting with it.

I used a hydrosorb grip and an OG plus 6g of lead at 3 and 9 and used the original hybrid string job. I liked the stick but felt it didn't have the heft of my Prestige Pros and wasn't as stable either. The static weight with this setup was 341 g and it felt quite soft but the hybrid might have something to do with that so I made a few changes.

I went back to my usual full poly (pl2) and went with 7g total at 3 & 9. The static weight moved up to 345 and it feels much more substantial now. I put it on the RDC and there is where I was really surprised-even with full poly and all that lead-the SW was only 319. No wonder it felt a bit lightweight compared with the TGK or especially the PT57 :) This setup feels much better overall and you can put alot more hurt on the ball as well. I was really surprised the SW was so low. My Pro's with 4g of lead at 3 and 9 measure 328 on the RDC so this particular MGMP must be really HL as it's supposed to measure 319 SW at stock specs.

Either way, it plays great now and I'm glad I got it. Thanks again DR :)

dr325i
08-01-2009, 07:27 AM
I wanted to add a little more feedback to this thread. After buying the MGMP from dr325(and glad I did), I've been experimenting with it.

I used a hydrosorb grip and an OG plus 6g of lead at 3 and 9 and used the original hybrid string job. I liked the stick but felt it didn't have the heft of my Prestige Pros and wasn't as stable either. The static weight with this setup was 341 g and it felt quite soft but the hybrid might have something to do with that so I made a few changes.

I went back to my usual full poly (pl2) and went with 7g total at 3 & 9. The static weight moved up to 345 and it feels much more substantial now. I put it on the RDC and there is where I was really surprised-even with full poly and all that lead-the SW was only 319. No wonder it felt a bit lightweight compared with the TGK or especially the PT57 :) This setup feels much better overall and you can put alot more hurt on the ball as well. I was really surprised the SW was so low. My Pro's with 4g of lead at 3 and 9 measure 328 on the RDC so this particular MGMP must be really HL as it's supposed to measure 319 SW at stock specs.

Either way, it plays great now and I'm glad I got it. Thanks again DR :)

My pleasure!!!
I added a few extra comments in my OP

PJN
08-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry, but what is a 'PT57E' ?
which brand??

PED
08-08-2009, 08:40 AM
Sorry, but what is a 'PT57E' ?
which brand??

It's basically a "pro's only" version made by Head. Quite heavy with a roughly 350 SW but quite nice by all accounts. Used by many of the top guys in either E or A form: Simon, Soderling, etc.

TennisPassion5
08-08-2009, 09:23 AM
Which of these three rackets had the most control?

dr325i
08-08-2009, 10:36 AM
Which of these three rackets had the most control?

Overall, I would say the PT57E if you can handle it... It also has the most spin due to slightly more separation between the mains...

psp2
08-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Do you know the stiffness of the PT57E? And would you part with it?

I had few PT57E frames and their stiffness on a Babolat RDC machine came out to around 67 unstrung.

dr325i
08-08-2009, 07:19 PM
I had few PT57E frames and their stiffness on a Babolat RDC machine came out to around 67 unstrung.

is that PT or the TGK??? TGK is definitely stiffer, but I doubt it is over 70...

psp2
08-08-2009, 07:55 PM
is that PT or the TGK??? TGK is definitely stiffer, but I doubt it is over 70...

eyeball
08-08-2009, 08:43 PM

great review dr325i. I plan to add some weight to my MGP MP, leather grip and some lead tape in the head. did you place the lead tape under the CAP grommets? do you know if it is difficult to remove the CAP grommets and then but them back on or would I need to get new CAP grommets?

PED
08-09-2009, 05:09 AM
great review dr325i. I plan to add some weight to my MGP MP, leather grip and some lead tape in the head. did you place the lead tape under the CAP grommets? do you know if it is difficult to remove the CAP grommets and then but them back on or would I need to get new CAP grommets?

Whatever you do, don't take off the CAP's after you've strung the MP intially. The ends flair out and it's hard to get them all back in. I speak from experience ;)

You can use your fingernails or a small screwdriver to peel up the CAP and slide the lead underneath and it's quite easy. I've gotten good at it and after a few times it's no big deal. I ended up doing 7g under the CAPs at 3 &9 and another 1.5g at the top of the hoop.

dr325i
08-09-2009, 06:12 AM

I agree with PED on that, however, my latest TGK238.1 came from the top 100 pro (can't give the name) and had some lead tape under the CAP. I removed it and put it back. It took me good 20 minutes to put back the top 20-ish holes...
I had to use the ice pick, screwdriver and a lot of sweat to get it back in...
All of my lead is still inside the hoop as I am still experimenting.

Right now, my TGKs are with about 4g in the handle and 8g spread at 9, 12 and 3 o'clock. Strung + overgrip + dampener, they are at 348g and balance is at 31.8 cm (~ 8 pt HL). As I play in Florida, this balance moves significantly with the sweating... I measured as much as 11g weight difference before and after the play on some humid nights!

PED
08-09-2009, 03:01 PM
I'm getting four new Tecnifibre PT-205-08 18x20 hairpins (RA 66) originally made for Christophe Rochus from RacquetCraft. I'm getting them customized as follows: unstrung specs of: 350g, 30.8 cm, 325 sw with L4 Wilson pallets, and his company's pseudo-Fairway leather. Can't wait for 'em.

NICE!!

You even anticipated my next question on what the specs are :)

Any idea what the SW will be strung? That's going to produce a really heavy ball:twisted:

PED
08-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Is this it?

http://myracquetcollection.blogspot.com/2008/09/tecnifibre-tfight-320-custom-christophe.html

dr325i
08-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I'm getting four new Tecnifibre PT-205-08 18x20 hairpins (RA 66) originally made for Christophe Rochus from RacquetCraft. I'm getting them customized as follows: unstrung specs of: 350g, 30.8 cm, 325 sw with L4 Wilson pallets, and his company's pseudo-Fairway leather. Can't wait for 'em.

sweet!!!!!

Mdubb23
08-09-2009, 06:28 PM
NICE!!

You even anticipated my next question on what the specs are :)

Any idea what the SW will be strung? That's going to produce a really heavy ball:twisted:

~355. As a rule of thumb, the swingweight of a frame increases by thirty KGxCM^2 after it is strung.

Mdubb23
08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
Is this it?

http://myracquetcollection.blogspot.com/2008/09/tecnifibre-tfight-320-custom-christophe.html

Yup. I had my hairpins cut to 27'' though, and not 28.5'' like Christophe prefers.

Mdubb23
08-09-2009, 06:30 PM
sweet!!!!!

Thanks, man. Them and the PT57E will make a sweet combo for sure. ;)

Mansewerz
08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
Question: How is everyone getting ahold of these damn pro stock frames? Connections to stringers?

Mdubb23
08-09-2009, 06:43 PM
Question: How is everyone getting ahold of these damn pro stock frames? Connections to stringers?

Answer: Luck.

dr325i
08-10-2009, 03:48 AM
Answer: Luck.

Exactly, keep your eyes open.
However, be careful -- it's a disease :)

dr325i
08-14-2009, 04:56 AM
All interested:
I will be adding the PT57A (flexier version of the PT57's) to the review next week. I have one (with the Flexpoint PJ) coming my way and will try to compare to the rest...

PED
08-14-2009, 04:58 AM
^^Sounds good. I'll look forward to the comparison. Any idea what the flex number is on the A versus the E?

dr325i
08-14-2009, 05:43 AM
^^Sounds good. I'll look forward to the comparison. Any idea what the flex number is on the A versus the E?

I thought that E was in the mid to upper 60's and as Marc mentioned his "E" was 67 (untrung), measured. IMO, that seemed a bit too high as I find the TGK stiffer than the PT57E.

I have heard that the "A" is in the upper 50's, just like the PT630. Will let you know shortly (late next week I guess). I don't have the way of measuring it, but will try to estimate it...

RacquetCraft
08-15-2009, 04:24 AM
I thought that E was in the mid to upper 60's and as Marc mentioned his "E" was 67 (untrung), measured. IMO, that seemed a bit too high as I find the TGK stiffer than the PT57E.

I have heard that the "A" is in the upper 50's, just like the PT630. Will let you know shortly (late next week I guess). I don't have the way of measuring it, but will try to estimate it...

dr325i,

To the extent you are relying on an RA measurement alone, you are probably correct. However, keep in mind that RA established off of the type of machines that measure only one flex point (which is how most RA test results are posted) will only give you limited RA info.

As you guys already know from playing tennis (I know some of you guys actually do play tennis as well as post messages ...or at least I hope that you do :wink:), racquets have more than one flex point.

So, please don't live and die by the posted RA measurements. You need to have access to some very sophisticated testing equipment, which very few people or companies do (save a few tuners:wink:)...otherwise, my advice is that the RA is not the holy grail and that your time is better spent playtesting the racquet!

RacquetCraft

kumat63
08-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Nice review but I have to take issue with your claim that the TGK 238.1 felt stiffer than retail or PT57e...

I've got 3 TGK 238.1 and have flexed them (Strung) on a Babolat RDC machine. All three came out at 60-61. Tried 3 retail frames on the same machine and they were all between 63-64. My TGKs weigh 325 unstrung and are 8 points headlight, got them that way from Roman Prokes. I can see lead under the bumper, not sure if he put anything in the handle...

dr325i
08-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Nice review but I have to take issue with your claim that the TGK 238.1 felt stiffer than retail or PT57e...

I've got 3 TGK 238.1 and have flexed them (Strung) on a Babolat RDC machine. All three came out at 60-61. Tried 3 retail frames on the same machine and they were all between 63-64. My TGKs weigh 325 unstrung and are 8 points headlight, got them that way from Roman Prokes. I can see lead under the bumper, not sure if he put anything in the handle...

There is no way it was accurate.
The TGK frames are definitely stiffer than the Retail and PT57E frames...
My PT630 flex was measured at 59, and it was a HUGE difference from the TGKs...

On the other hand, I agree with RacquetCraft's post - that machine measures stiffnes around a single point, and may give a different reading than the actual stiffness feel of the racket...

PED
08-17-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree re the RA numbers. The RA is the same (63) on both the Pro and the MP and I found the MP to be much much flexier than the Pro.

Same thing when comparing my old stick, the PST to the MG's. The PST was also a 63 but it "felt" more like a high 50's in the flex department.

dgoran
08-18-2009, 07:51 PM
In a related news,I just got a hold of 3 PT 630's and I am havingone of those where have you beenall my life moments with this racket. It is simply perfect, weight ballance, flex. I just find that I have to string it at 65 on a drop weight to be in my wheel house. They came strung at 55 klip/Goosen Micro and other one was 52 with technifibre nrg 18 and it was waaaayyy too much power. I now have SP Orig syn gut 16 at 65 and it's much easier to keep the balls in.

dgoran
08-18-2009, 07:53 PM
Oh forgot to mention I measured one of my pt630's on an RDC and the flex was 54.

psp2
08-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Oh forgot to mention I measured one of my pt630's on an RDC and the flex was 54.

......sounds about right for a strung PT630.

dr325i
08-19-2009, 05:03 AM
In a related news,I just got a hold of 3 PT 630's and I am havingone of those where have you beenall my life moments with this racket. It is simply perfect, weight ballance, flex. I just find that I have to string it at 65 on a drop weight to be in my wheel house. They came strung at 55 klip/Goosen Micro and other one was 52 with technifibre nrg 18 and it was waaaayyy too much power. I now have SP Orig syn gut 16 at 65 and it's much easier to keep the balls in.

Be careful with those tensions!
These rackets are known to deform or even crack at high tensions...

For me, that flex was just WAAAAYYYY to flexy, but definitely a beautiful stick!

dgoran
08-19-2009, 05:42 AM
Really? Deform and crack, now you got me worried... it was hard to get them as it is and looks like they are unusable for me at low tensions. I was planning on going even higher with the gut in those rackets I mean If I string Syn Gut with stiffness rating of 207 at 65 I have to go higher if I was to try gut. I was going to try that cheap gut that everyone is raving about Gaucho gut or Global Gut.

Maybe I'll go back to poly's at lower tension. I mean guga used full poly in his pt630 why can't I right :) ha ha ha.

PS I wonder if RacquetCraft is "one of us" as well? LOL

dr325i
08-19-2009, 06:20 AM
Really? Deform and crack, now you got me worried... it was hard to get them as it is and looks like they are unusable for me at low tensions. I was planning on going even higher with the gut in those rackets I mean If I string Syn Gut with stiffness rating of 207 at 65 I have to go higher if I was to try gut. I was going to try that cheap gut that everyone is raving about Gaucho gut or Global Gut.

Maybe I'll go back to poly's at lower tension. I mean guga used full poly in his pt630 why can't I right :) ha ha ha.

PS I wonder if RacquetCraft is "one of us" as well? LOL

I owned about 6 of the PT630/PT280 sticks. Now I have the PT57A, which is the same mold, different guts :)

Anyway, one thing everyone advised me was to keep the tension "lower". All of my PT630s were strung at 53-55 lbs. And yes, I noticed a lot of power, BUT also a lot of spin and control, so I adjusted...

Also, the PTs do have the "paint crack" issues. Those paint cracks may appear as real frame cracks, but usually they are NOT. I assume because of the flexibility (and probably the paing quality) this happens a lot. Two of my sticks had these, particulary on the bridge, but the playability was never altered or affected.

Lefty78
08-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Be careful with those tensions!
These rackets are known to deform or even crack at high tensions...

For me, that flex was just WAAAAYYYY to flexy, but definitely a beautiful stick!

If you simply must use high tension, I would recommend using a stringing machine with a six point mounting system, as well as stringing the crosses a couple # higher.

dr325i
08-19-2009, 08:43 AM
If you simply must use high tension, I would recommend using a stringing machine with a six point mounting system, as well as stringing the crosses a couple # higher.

Are you offering to string it for me? :)

Next Monday, I will have a few new "goodies" for you to try:
- Dudi Sella's Prince Diablo (16x18, your fav pattern), racket feels really solid!
- PS6.1 95 Classic with a K95 Matte PJ (16x18 ), looks sweet!
- PT57A

dgoran
08-19-2009, 09:19 AM
hm I have pseudo 6 point mounting dropweight machine Silent Partner Swing. Ill be careful... but this is a bit discouraging since the only reason I moved away from babolats is the power that is nearly untamed unless I string in the 70's. I would have to hit western with a lot of spin in order to get control but control was great since pure Drive and Aeropro drive are spin monsters...

Pro Tour on the other hand has spin and I can adjust but I feel like I cannot hit all out relaxed I feel like I have to "break" my swing a bit to tame it or go westen again like in Aeropro Drive but if I have to do that I might as well go with babolat since woofer is pretty damn sweet when you nail it... :)

Back to the drawing board ha ha ha

Lefty78
08-19-2009, 09:37 AM
Are you offering to string it for me? :)

Next Monday, I will have a few new "goodies" for you to try:
- Dudi Sella's Prince Diablo (16x18, your fav pattern), racket feels really solid!
- PS6.1 95 Classic with a K95 Matte PJ (16x18 ), looks sweet!
- PT57A

Wasn't, but am happy to.

Some tasty treats, can't wait.

ae1222
08-19-2009, 03:22 PM
This thread continues to be good! I have three of the TGK frames and I have a PT57E frame coming. I am heading home next week and I know the local shop has the diagnostic machine for RA rating and I will test mine out and see where they land. I also have an old tour 630 so I will post my results later next week.

PED
08-19-2009, 04:26 PM
This thread continues to be good! I have three of the TGK frames and I have a PT57E frame coming. I am heading home next week and I know the local shop has the diagnostic machine for RA rating and I will test mine out and see where they land. I also have an old tour 630 so I will post my results later next week.

Def let us know, I'll be curious to see how the TGK's stack up against the PT57E in the stiffness department.

Are you still loving the TGK's?

ae1222
08-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Yeah PED they hit great! I am playing better with them, they don't hurt my arm nearly as bad as the Speed Pro's I was using. But we shall see, we have 5.0 sectionals this weekend, we shall see if this old man can hang with the youngsters!

dr325i
08-20-2009, 07:02 PM
Added some impressions about the PT57A, to me MORE impressive than the P57E... See in the post #1.

PED
08-21-2009, 04:36 AM
DR, nice writeup on the "A". Sounds like you've got a new favorite :)

I would have thought that the A would be even softer but it sounds about perfect. I sounds like the lesser SW is dead on as well.

I'm a bit confused about the handle. Since the handle is extended for a 2hbh, is it still a standard length racquet?

Also, is the lead in the hoop and 12 or at 3 & 9?

dr325i
08-21-2009, 04:52 AM
DR, nice writeup on the "A". Sounds like you've got a new favorite :)

I would have thought that the A would be even softer but it sounds about perfect. I sounds like the lesser SW is dead on as well.

I'm a bit confused about the handle. Since the handle is extended for a 2hbh, is it still a standard length racquet?

Also, is the lead in the hoop and 12 or at 3 & 9?

I don't think there is any lead at 3 and 9 as at the fake holes the bumper goes "around" and exposes the frame and there is nothing there...unless...

Definitely can see some lead on top of the hoop (where bumper pieces meet).

The handle goes up very high, pretty much to the throat opening. There is maybe an 1/8th of an inch or less between the end of the handle and the throat opening...

I'll post some pictures later

PED
08-21-2009, 04:53 AM
Looking forward to the pics.

Are you considering switching to this from the TGK's?

Lefty78
08-25-2009, 05:25 AM
Had a quick hit last night with a PT57A, courtesy of dr.

Racquet is hefty, very solid, with a wonderful feel, much like the "E" version. I didn't get the chance to try the two back to back, but my initial thought was not so much that the "A" was flexier than the "E", just that it flexed differently. It makes me curious to know more about the layup in each of these frames.

Anyway, didn't hit for too long with it, as dr had some other toys with him. Sweet hit, nonetheless. Try one if you ever get the opportunity.

RacquetCraft
08-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Had a quick hit last night with a PT57A, courtesy of dr.

Racquet is hefty, very solid, with a wonderful feel, much like the "E" version. I didn't get the chance to try the two back to back, but my initial thought was not so much that the "A" was flexier than the "E", just that it flexed differently. It makes me curious to know more about the layup in each of these frames.

Anyway, didn't hit for too long with it, as dr had some other toys with him. Sweet hit, nonetheless. Try one if you ever get the opportunity.

You my friend win the prize. Finally, someone who get's it!:) Someone get this man an A and an E to test side by side. He will tell you the story you've all been waiting to hear! Good work Lefty78

RacquetCraft

dr325i
08-25-2009, 06:40 AM
You my friend win the prize. Finally, someone who get's it!:) Someone get this man an A and an E to test side by side. He will tell you the story you've all been waiting to hear! Good work Lefty78

RacquetCraft

He did test my E but it was some time ago...
Maybe you should loan us your "E"?

Mdubb23
08-25-2009, 12:55 PM
Courtesy of RacquetCraft, and for the benefit of all to see, here are my new babies (made for Christophe Rochus---engineering code PT-205-08 18x20), with unstrung specs of 350g, 325 sw, 67 RA, 27 in, and have L4 Wilson Pallets with RacquetCraft's exclusive Pseudo-Fairway leather:
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/6933/dscn0317.jpg
http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/861/dscn0318q.jpg
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/7859/dscn0325x.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/7500/dscn0327.jpg

Lefty78
08-25-2009, 02:13 PM
^^^ Sweet looking frames, with very nicely wrapped grips.

RacquetCraft
08-26-2009, 02:05 AM
^^^ Sweet looking frames, with very nicely wrapped grips.

Yes Lefty78, we are quite pleased:grin:

RacquetCraft

ae1222
08-27-2009, 03:24 PM
Ok gang here are my results of the RA testing on a bunch of these frames. I had the guy at the pro shop do these, it was on one of the Babolat testing machines, pretty interesting.

PT57E - 63
TGK 238.1 - 62
PT630 - 56
i.prestige MP - 62
stock microgel prestige MP - 64
flexpoint prestige MP - 58

Some interesting results. I had always read on this forum that the TGK's were stiffer than the E and A frames, but not on this test. I have also read the thread on the RA testing in general, so these results may not be absolute. But it was fun to do and I brought along the flexpoint and the i.prestige for the fun of it, good stuff!

by the way thanks to RacquetCraft for the email, you got some crazy sticks, I am sure I will be adding to my collection very soon!

PED
08-27-2009, 04:37 PM
PT57E - 63
TGK 238.1 - 62
PT630 - 56
i.prestige MP - 62
stock microgel prestige MP - 64
flexpoint prestige MP - 58

Thanks for going the extra mile on all the specs :) Anyone else surprised-I really am.

I assumed that the TGK and the Iprestige would be 67 or 68.

To me the stock MGMP felt limper than a 64 as well. I can't even imagine what the PT630 would feel like with a 56.

I think it might boil down to the comment Lefty made the other night about the A versus the E-it's not so much more or less flex but the WAY they flex.
Thanks again

domhas1
08-27-2009, 05:17 PM
Have you ever hit with the TGK 238.2, and if so what were your impressions when compared with the stock Prestige Pro...I recently picked up one of the TGK 238.2, but have yet to hit with it...

thanks

PED
08-27-2009, 05:45 PM
Have you ever hit with the TGK 238.2, and if so what were your impressions when compared with the stock Prestige Pro...I recently picked up one of the TGK 238.2, but have yet to hit with it...

thanks
When I first wrote this reply last night, I was thinking about the 238.1 and addressed my remarks to that stick. I've since gone back and edited. I guess I need to read more closely :)

I've never had the opportunity to hit with the 238.2 but would love to.

There are several people on here who have used the 238.2 but the opinion varies. The general consensus seems to be that it's a bit softer but that it plays more solid than stock...if that makes any sense. One of the main benefits of the tgk version is the light state that it comes in stock giving ample room for customizing to how you want it.

I'm going to keep my eyes open come January or so when the Youtek prestiges come out. In Jan 08, RPNY was selling the TGK's for only 220 new and that seems reasonable.

dr325i
08-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I will test the TGK238.2 on Saturday.

As for the Flex numbers up there, I am surprised with the TGK238.1 vs. iPrestige vs MGPMP

PT57E - 63 -- Felt about right
TGK 238.1 - 62 -- Feels MUCH stiffer (maybe less vibrations make it feel that way)
PT630 - 56 -- about right
i.prestige MP - 62 -- Felt Stiffer
stock microgel prestige MP - 64 -- about right
flexpoint prestige MP - 58 -- never tried it...

Lefty78
08-27-2009, 08:16 PM
Some interesting results. I had always read on this forum that the TGK's were stiffer than the E and A frames, but not on this test.

I'm not really a Head guy per say, so I know I'm not the definite source, but I thought that the TGK's had the flex point higher in the string bed, which might explain why people think they feel stiffer.

ae1222
08-28-2009, 06:53 AM
I'm not really a Head guy per say, so I know I'm not the definite source, but I thought that the TGK's had the flex point higher in the string bed, which might explain why people think they feel stiffer.

I would agree with that, the TGK feels like it flexes like the flexpoint model, up around 3 and 9 o'clock. But it doesn't feel like it flexes nearly as much as the flexpoint model. I hit with the E and the TGK yesterday and they do have a different feel even though the specs are about the same, I believe it to be the point of where they flex, the E feels like it is down in the throat by the handle. I also hit with the PT630 for a few minutes, and man is that thing just flexy all over. I like it, I am just too short to get that thing moving enough to really play with it full time.

PED
08-28-2009, 07:49 AM
Sounds like I would not like the E and it's flexy throat. I like it stiffer in that region.

FWIW, I sent an email to RPNY this am and they replied that they will not be selling the TGK's this time around when the youteks come out :(

Lefty78
08-28-2009, 08:14 AM
FWIW, I sent an email to RPNY this am and they replied that they will not be selling the TGK's this time around when the youteks come out :(

What a shame. Seems like a lot of people have been waiting on those.

domhas1
08-28-2009, 12:34 PM
When I first wrote this reply last night, I was thinking about the 238.1 and addressed my remarks to that stick. I've since gone back and edited. I guess I need to read more closely :)

I've never had the opportunity to hit with the 238.2 but would love to.

There are several people on here who have used the 238.2 but the opinion varies. The general consensus seems to be that it's a bit softer but that it plays more solid than stock...if that makes any sense. One of the main benefits of the tgk version is the light state that it comes in stock giving ample room for customizing to how you want it.

I'm going to keep my eyes open come January or so when the Youtek prestiges come out. In Jan 08, RPNY was selling the TGK's for only 220 new and that seems reasonable.

From the little I've seen posted about the 238.2, it seems that some feel it is mushier than the stock version...

I love how it comes in a light weight, I prefer the weight to be around 12-12.3 oz and my stock MGP Pro is weighted up to 12.7 oz. and is still a little too HL for me (I prefer 4-6 pt HL and its 8 pt hL)..

Right now the 238.2 weighs 11.8 oz (334 g) and is 10 pt HL, it has a hydrosorb grip and wilson pro overgrip and it looks like there is some stuff inside the handle...

domhas1
08-28-2009, 12:39 PM
The 11.8 oz (334 g) and is 10 pt HL is the TGK 238.2's strung measurements...It's strung with Luxilon BB Alu Fluoro mains and Babolat VS Touch crosses...

dr325i
08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I just received my TGK238.2. I customized it the way I like it, and will playtest it tomorrow evening. Unfortunately, I will be traveling starting Sunday, so next chance to hit with it will be September 10th.

Strung weight is 334g, I put Head Tour Leather grip (instead the original Head Calfskin), put the lead at 3 and 9 and brought it up to match my TGK238.1s within a gram, same balance...

domhas1
08-28-2009, 01:11 PM
I just received my TGK238.2. I customized it the way I like it, and will playtest it tomorrow evening. Unfortunately, I will be traveling starting Sunday, so next chance to hit with it will be September 10th.

Strung weight is 334g, I put Head Tour Leather grip (instead the original Head Calfskin), put the lead at 3 and 9 and brought it up to match my TGK238.1s within a gram, same balance...

Awesome, I can't wait to hear your review of it...How much lead did you put at 3 & 9?

PED
08-28-2009, 01:20 PM

Wow, those babies are REALLY light stock-334g strung with leather :shock:
Can't wait to hear the playtest, you had the stock Pro's last year didn't you?

So now you've got the 238.2 at 348g or so right?

ae1222
08-28-2009, 02:19 PM
Wow 334 sounds light. My TGK's strung are at 352 strung. Major bummer about RPNY not carrying those this year, but it will be awesome if our dear pal dr325 can get them! Can't wait to hear the review on your 238.2, good luck with that!

I just ordered one of the Verdasco frames from RacquetCraft, so I can't wait to see how that baby hits, I have it set up the same as my TGK's and according to him it has about the same flex. I will keep you all posted.

dr325i
08-28-2009, 03:41 PM
Wow, those babies are REALLY light stock-334g strung with leather :shock:
Can't wait to hear the playtest, you had the stock Pro's last year didn't you?

So now you've got the 238.2 at 348g or so right?

Yep, I played with the Retail Pros last year, unfortunately no lead.
This 238.2 also has silicone in the handle!!! So it comes even lighter.

I put only 6g total at 3 & 9, 4g in the handle + overgrip = 349g.

RacquetCraft
08-29-2009, 05:37 PM
I will test the TGK238.2 on Saturday.

As for the Flex numbers up there, I am surprised with the TGK238.1 vs. iPrestige vs MGPMP

PT57E - 63 -- Felt about right
TGK 238.1 - 62 -- Feels MUCH stiffer (maybe less vibrations make it feel that way)
PT630 - 56 -- about right
i.prestige MP - 62 -- Felt Stiffer
stock microgel prestige MP - 64 -- about right
flexpoint prestige MP - 58 -- never tried it...

That is about the right RA for that particular racquet

RacquetCraft

dr325i
08-29-2009, 06:39 PM
SO, tonight I had a PLEASURE to hit with the TGK238.2 for about 2 hours. A really sweet stick. Unfortunately, I will be traveling next 10 days and will not have a chance to hit with it more, so the detailed review is to come.

Briefly,

Both rackets had the same set up: Gamma Pro @ 57 lbs + SpinX at 54 lbs, both were matched at 349g, 31.8 cm.

GROUNDSTROKES:
Noticeably more spin access than with the 238.1 (MP). Since I use extreme Western FH, the spin was amazing. I also noticed that my 2HBH had more spin than with the MP.
However, I would say that the 238.1 allowed me more control on my shots.
The power was about the same with both sticks, as expected, the Pro may have had a tad more power.

VOLLEYS:
Solid at the net, but did not have enough time to fully evaluate it.

SERVES:
THis is where the word SWEET comes to mind! My KICK was simply great, I did not expect this much difference between the 238.1 and .2, but yes, it was very much visible. The serves were powerful, and easy placement. I would say a little more pop on the flat serve than with the 238.1.

FEEL:
Some people have mentioned a "mushy" feeling with the 238.2. For me, both, 238.1 and 238.2 felt about the same - stiff, nice balance, nice feedback, no vibration. I would say that the stiffness should be very close to each other.

Next time, I will get deeper into it and write more details...

ae1222
08-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Nice quick review, looking forward to the rest of it! My quick question for you is about the grips. The standard Prestige Pro has about the shortest grip I can remember on a frame, was the 238.2 longer or did it have a really short grip? Just curious, my 2-hander just didn't feel good with the standard Pro because of this. Thanks!

dr325i
09-10-2009, 06:59 PM
Nice quick review, looking forward to the rest of it! My quick question for you is about the grips. The standard Prestige Pro has about the shortest grip I can remember on a frame, was the 238.2 longer or did it have a really short grip? Just curious, my 2-hander just didn't feel good with the standard Pro because of this. Thanks!

Same grip length as the MP (at least for the TGK238.1 and .2)

domhas1
09-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I saw you were selling your tgk238.2, so I guess your playtest wasn't that great with it...

dr325i
09-11-2009, 04:37 AM
I saw you were selling your tgk238.2, so I guess your playtest wasn't that great with it...

I liked it, especially the serves and the spin, but:
1) I like my 238.1's better (always liked the closed pattern more)
2) Only have one of the TGK238.2 vs. 3x of the 238.1s

I am still hitting with the Prestige Pro and testing it. I also have a few of my buddies play with it to test the differences...

DukeLit
09-13-2009, 12:17 PM
This thread has been a really informative read, to say the least! It has also got me wanting to spend more money on frames than my current life situation will allow...

I originally went into this thread looking for information, since I have the opportunity to get a TGK238.1. However the one I can get has a strung weight of 360 grams (approx 12.7 oz), which may be just a little too heavy for me. I'm sure it's a sweet hit and I might be able to get used to it after a couple weeks, but I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to wait until a lighter one comes along.
I also wonder, based on everyone's posts here, whether I might like the PT57A a bit better anyway. Is it more or less possible to find some with a strung weight around 355, which was what dr325i was using?

If anyone wants to get in touch offline, they can feel free to do so at jei4 (at) duke . edu

PED
09-13-2009, 04:55 PM
You should be able to buy one and peel some of the lead off of the hoop to get it down to your desire spec. Obviously, cleaning silicone from the handle would be messy but the lead removal should only take a few seconds. You would likely have to buy a new set of CAP grommets since you'll pull them off to remove the lead but that's only $9.

ae1222
09-13-2009, 08:18 PM
This thread has been a really informative read, to say the least! It has also got me wanting to spend more money on frames than my current life situation will allow...

I originally went into this thread looking for information, since I have the opportunity to get a TGK238.1. However the one I can get has a strung weight of 360 grams (approx 12.7 oz), which may be just a little too heavy for me. I'm sure it's a sweet hit and I might be able to get used to it after a couple weeks, but I'm thinking it may be worthwhile to wait until a lighter one comes along.
I also wonder, based on everyone's posts here, whether I might like the PT57A a bit better anyway. Is it more or less possible to find some with a strung weight around 355, which was what dr325i was using?

If anyone wants to get in touch offline, they can feel free to do so at jei4 (at) duke . edu

As PED said you can get the weight down on the TGK pretty easy, I actually got one without any lead on it and if memory serves it was down near 310g or 315 unstrung. I have a fair amount of lead in mine getting the strung weight up to 350g. As for the PT57A those come stock a bit heavier, most I have run across are 330g (Does RacquetCraft or anyone have any more concrete info on this?) or heavier unstrung with no lead. But both are really fun to hit with either way, I highly recommend giving each a try if you can get your hands on one. The 57A is just extremely flexible and hefty, so just be warned you need a pretty fast and strong swing to make that stick work. (my opinion)

DukeLit
09-14-2009, 10:45 AM
As PED said you can get the weight down on the TGK pretty easy, I actually got one without any lead on it and if memory serves it was down near 310g or 315 unstrung. I have a fair amount of lead in mine getting the strung weight up to 350g. As for the PT57A those come stock a bit heavier, most I have run across are 330g (Does RacquetCraft or anyone have any more concrete info on this?) or heavier unstrung with no lead. But both are really fun to hit with either way, I highly recommend giving each a try if you can get your hands on one. The 57A is just extremely flexible and hefty, so just be warned you need a pretty fast and strong swing to make that stick work. (my opinion)

Thanks ae1222 and everyone else! I was hoping not to have to take apart the TGK I was offered, but it weighs in at 360g strung which is quite hefty. It's also been lengthened by 1/2 an inch (this racquet was heavily customized for a lower level pro player). I'm tempted to just play my way into it since it's not so much heavier than what I'm used to, but it might be easier to get an unleaded TGK and work my way up adding lead rather than trying to take it off or spend a month getting used to a new, heavy frame.

As you can all probably tell, I'm not a huge racquet tech guy or customizer (in my younger days I always had it done for me and didn't give it too much thought), so advice is welcome!

PED
09-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks ae1222 and everyone else! I was hoping not to have to take apart the TGK I was offered, but it weighs in at 360g strung which is quite hefty.

360g sounds like a whole lotta stick but I guess it would also depend on what the swing weight is. My Prestige Mid is 352 but the SW is only 331. The extra length on the TGK would also increase the SW.

Just curious, are you buying it locally? I ask as you're only 20 miles down the road from me but with the "wrong" shade of blue ;)

DukeLit
09-14-2009, 11:23 AM
360g sounds like a whole lotta stick but I guess it would also depend on what the swing weight is. My Prestige Mid is 352 but the SW is only 331. The extra length on the TGK would also increase the SW.

Just curious, are you buying it locally? I ask as you're only 20 miles down the road from me but with the "wrong" shade of blue ;)

Yeah, I may be kidding myself thinking I can really play my way into a groove with this stick the way I want to. It's just frustrating to find something like this that's already professionally customized (I'm quite lazy) and have it be a little too heavy. I may wait until something better comes along.

And, Tar Hole :), I was living in Durham until a week ago before I moved to Paris, and the racquet in question is over here.

PED
09-14-2009, 11:39 AM
I'd like to get my hands on one as well but I'll wait til the Youtek Prestiges come out next year. Paris sounds great-I've not been over in about 10 years...fantastic town.

ae1222
09-14-2009, 08:03 PM
Yeah, I may be kidding myself thinking I can really play my way into a groove with this stick the way I want to. It's just frustrating to find something like this that's already professionally customized (I'm quite lazy) and have it be a little too heavy. I may wait until something better comes along.

And, Tar Hole :), I was living in Durham until a week ago before I moved to Paris, and the racquet in question is over here.

It's not as tough as you think! I actually just got my hands on an almost new PT57A today and it was super customized, I took over 40 g of lead out of it! It came in strung and was over 370g, just terrible for me. So I took the caps off and ripped of the lead tape and to my surprise when I put it all back together it was only 315g unstrung (see earlier post about 57A weight, I was mistaken!). Just added some lead and bingo, has the same specs as my TGK frames. Hit with it today, a nice stick to be sure, but like something slightly firmer like my TGK frames.

DukeLit
09-15-2009, 03:26 AM
It's not as tough as you think! I actually just got my hands on an almost new PT57A today and it was super customized, I took over 40 g of lead out of it! It came in strung and was over 370g, just terrible for me. So I took the caps off and ripped of the lead tape and to my surprise when I put it all back together it was only 315g unstrung (see earlier post about 57A weight, I was mistaken!). Just added some lead and bingo, has the same specs as my TGK frames. Hit with it today, a nice stick to be sure, but like something slightly firmer like my TGK frames.

Well that's not such a bad idea, then. Will the fact that the racquet's length has been modified make the process more difficult?

Would you mind dropping me an email and letting me know how you come across these racquets? If it's not too intrusive, that is.

ivo
04-30-2010, 12:34 AM

Does Vollandri really used TGK's ?

Because I have found at lest two photos of him using PT57 ( one FXP and one Microgel PJ )

dr325i
04-30-2010, 05:09 AM
Does Vollandri really used TGK's ?

Because I have found at lest two photos of him using PT57 ( one FXP and one Microgel PJ )

Can you attach the photos please.
Thanks

vsbabolat
04-30-2010, 05:34 AM
Thanks

Volandri used the i.Prestige MP with i.Prestige MP Cosmetics until the end of July 2006. He skipped over Liquidmetal paintjob........

ivo
04-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Thanks

I am not able to post attachments, so here are links. First one is not 100% Volandri's but this stringer is saying so.

www.theracquetstringer.co.uk/volandri3.jpg

And second one is his current frame in Rome

http://www.inter*n*a*z*i*onalibnlditalia.it/1/PopImage.asp?LNG=EN&IDGalleria=1382

please delete the asterics, because there is problem with this word... If this link does not work, please check photo No 28 in the image gallery.

Picture is not perfectly clear, but you can see that code has only 5 characters..

BobFL
04-30-2010, 08:07 AM
Volandri never really used TGKs...

JoK3R
05-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Volandri uses PT57E