PDA

View Full Version : Lead for racquet

in[k]
07-13-2009, 06:09 PM
I want to add lead to my KPT but have no idea where to begin. I have read the page about it here on TW, but I think I need some help.

I want to add a decent amount of weight (maybe half an ounce or a little more). I'd like to have the balance about the same, but get a little more power on my hits.

Thanks for any help! :)

Bottle Rocket
07-13-2009, 06:17 PM
What is a KPT?

Anyway, you can do two things to meet your objective:

1. Add lead in the hoop, probably 3 and 9 O'clock, and a corresponding amount on the bottom of the handle and/or in the handle to maintain the same balance point.

2. Add lead ON the balance point of the frame (probably near the throat).

Both will change the playing characteristics significantly. I'd recommend putting SMALL amount of lead on SLOWLY. A little makes a surprising difference.

in[k]
07-13-2009, 06:18 PM
Wilson Kpro Tour, sorry.

And thanks for the advice :)

Il Mostro
07-13-2009, 07:52 PM
First, get a decent scale and either buy or make yourself a balance beam (there are threads here at TT on how to make them). Then measure and weigh the lead so you know how much weight you are adding for a specific length of lead tape. Do the same with fishing weights or whatever you might add inside the handle. Use your calculated weights and the balance beam to achieve the balance you want. I guarantee you will be able to get the added weight and similar balance you are looking for with some trial and error. It may take a while, but it really is not rocket science.

klementine79
07-13-2009, 07:59 PM
If there is foam in the handle, like most wilsons, I would add two bullet fishing weights(lead or non-lead), crammed into the foam.

Next, add the desired amount of lead tape to the hoop, until custom or stock balance is achieved.

I loved it on my Kblade98, I ended up adding about 20grams or .7oz

The non-lead bullet fishing weights I used amounted to about 14grams or 7grams each. Then I added 3grams at 12o'clock and another 1.5grams at 3 and 9.

in[k]
07-14-2009, 07:25 AM
Thanks for the help guys :)

I am going to buy the lead tape today and start experimenting.