PDA

View Full Version : Do i have a college future

Kick Serve 14
07-13-2009, 08:18 PM
hi, i am a 15 year old boy attending a private school in ohio that is a tennis powerhouse in our state. This year i played singles three as a freshman and i went to the state singles tournament for DII and i finished in the top 8. At my school (this is very hard to do because most of the kids who play were given grants and scholarships to play at my school because the tuition is over 15,000.) Also in the team competition we finished in the top 4. I have all A's in school... but based on my tennis profile do you think i might get a full ride scholarship to play in college.

P.S. The best part of my game would have to be my serve, i can hit four different serves, flat, kick, slice, topspin, and i can get them all up over 100 mph. From there i am an excelent volleyer which is also a major part of my gameplan

Thanks in advance

tennismom42
07-13-2009, 08:28 PM
hi, i am a 15 year old boy attending a private school in ohio that is a tennis powerhouse in our state. This year i played singles three as a freshman and i went to the state singles tournament for DII and i finished in the top 8. At my school (this is very hard to do because most of the kids who play were given grants and scholarships to play at my school because the tuition is over 15,000.) Also in the team competition we finished in the top 4. I have all A's in school... but based on my tennis profile do you think i might get a full ride scholarship to play in college.

P.S. The best part of my game would have to be my serve, i can hit four different serves, flat, kick, slice, topspin, and i can get them all up over 100 mph. From there i am an excelent volleyer which is also a major part of my gameplan

Thanks in advance you definitely have a great chance for college tennis with those kinds of grades. However, describing yourself to someone here with your HS accomplishments, is difficult for us to gauge. Unfortunately many cannot play the game of going to countless tournaments, so their rankings & ratings are difficult to discern. Recruiters look for various things: good fit, ranking, rating, grades, can your family afford their school, ethnicity (URM), etc.

There is a place for you and now is the perfect time to start looking for it. It's good that you're posting & researching here. Already you have more gumshun than my kid ever did.

The major recruiting takes place between your junior to senior year, with 1st signing in November. Try your best to sign then. Main signing is in April, but spots are slim picking by then. All coaches will tell you they don't have much $$ left. You should be able to get athletic & academic scholarships. Start looking now.

Use some college search engine to look for the perfect college. Most schools use collegeboard.com . In other words, find the right college first & tennis will land properly in it's place. Don't let the tail wag the dog.

Kick Serve 14
07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Okay, so what if i'm not good enough to make the team, is there a chance that i could play club or intercollegiate for a year or two and then join the team by my sophomore or junior year.

tennismom42
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
Okay, so what if i'm not good enough to make the team, is there a chance that i could play club or intercollegiate for a year or two and then join the team by my sophomore or junior year.

that's a loaded question. If it's the right college education, you already have your answer, yes? Find the right college & tennis will land in the right place. There are soooo many possible schools for you. You worry too much.

If a scholarship is your driving factor (and I am sure you're too bright for that), then you're on your own for the 1st two years.

Look carefully at the costs of schools. As meticulous as I am, I screwed up & forgot about the cost of room & board. That's about a $10K mistake. Stupid me!

tennisdad65
07-13-2009, 09:15 PM
P.S. The best part of my game would have to be my serve, i can hit four different serves, flat, kick, slice, topspin, and i can get them all up over 100 mph....

if you can hit your kick 2nd serve at 100+ mph, you could skip college and directly go to the pro's :)

brado32003
07-13-2009, 09:47 PM
Do you play USTA tournaments?

Toad
07-13-2009, 11:07 PM
Concentrate on your grades and variety of activities, that is what will get you money for going to college and what will determine your college future. If you are getting straight A's, that is good, but make sure the classes you are taking are challenging. Colleges look at quality of courses, not just GPA...if you can, take some AP courses your junior and senior year (i.e. Calculus, AP Comp. or Lit., etc.).

If that still doesn't challenge you, try adding another sport into the mix, or volunteer a few hours a month (this will get you major good points with any college since most people won't have many if any volunteer hours on their application), join or start a school club, or possibly get a part time job. Doing a plethora of activities while still maintaining a high GPA and taking challenging courses will land you some very good offers at any school you apply to.

Even if doing this means you have to cut out a couple hours of tennis a day, or a day or two in a week, I would still consider doing these things. This is because you are probably more likely to get a full ride somewhere based your grades and variety of extra curricular activities than based on your tennis playing ability. Unfortunately Men's Tennis is near the bottom of a large list of sports schools like to fund. Hinging your college future on the slim chance of getting a tennis scholarship is not a good thing to do.

For what it's worth, this was the approach I took and it got me into the undergraduate college of my choice for a steep discount and now into one of my top graduate school choices. Of course everyone is different, so feel free to ignore my suggestions, it won't make a difference to me.

duusoo
07-14-2009, 04:12 AM
Living in Ohio, you have some truly great academic schools that have tennis programs. Denison, Kenyon. Tremendous education at those two schools. Way too many kids get caught in the D1 hype. I don't know if a statistic is available, but many just quit after a half year to a year. Schools like those mention give you opportunity to play your sport, and get an education that will propell you to a very successful future.

DownTheLine
07-14-2009, 06:08 AM
100 mph or higher second serve sounds a little far off for a 15 year old. What is your section and nation rank?

goran_ace
07-14-2009, 06:21 AM
Another reason to concentrate more on grades is because not many schools give out full rides for tennis. NCAA limits the number of scholarships you can offer to 4 1/2. So, assuming the team is fully funded, that usually means maybe the #1 and #2 guys are on a full ride and then the rest are split up among several guys. In Ohio, DI private schools like Dayton or Xavier don't have a lot of tennis money available, but the university is pretty generous with academic scholarships. So if you are a promising player with great grades and test scores you might get a third tennis money and then two-thirds academic.

goran_ace
07-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Note - that 4.5 scholarship limit is for men. Women's tennis has a limit of 8 scholarships (so if the team is fully funded you might have players who don't even play who are on full ride!)

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 06:54 AM
100 mph or higher second serve sounds a little far off for a 15 year old. What is your section and nation rank?

I don't have a national ranking, because i don't play huge tournaments. As for my sectional rakning i'm in the top 40 in the u 16's.

Bilbo
07-14-2009, 09:56 AM
I don't have a national ranking, because i don't play huge tournaments. As for my sectional rakning i'm in the top 40 in the u 16's.

since ur that highly ranked... u probably have a tennis recruiting.net star ranking. i would ask ur name, so i could search u on tennisrecruiting.net, but thats a little private... lol. So, yeah, just search urself up on the website and tell us wat star u are. Newhere from 2 stars up u definently have a future in college tennis. Will u get a scholarship? It's possible for a low level d1 school or a d2 school. So... yeah!

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 10:24 AM
since ur that highly ranked... u probably have a tennis recruiting.net star ranking. i would ask ur name, so i could search u on tennisrecruiting.net, but thats a little private... lol. So, yeah, just search urself up on the website and tell us wat star u are. Newhere from 2 stars up u definently have a future in college tennis. Will u get a scholarship? It's possible for a low level d1 school or a d2 school. So... yeah!

i actually don't, because like i said i don't play large tournaments, and my family doesn't think i have a future in tennis. So i am just hopimg that a scout might come to one of my matches at state in my junior or senior year, beacuse according to my coach/ college advisor there were scouts looking at our singles one player this year at the state tournament.

DownTheLine
07-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Top 40 with that kind of serve?

You probably should be around top 20.

You might just be a Ivo Karlovic, or you just don't hit as hard as you think you do.

DownTheLine
07-14-2009, 11:33 AM
i actually don't, because like i said i don't play large tournaments, and my family doesn't think i have a future in tennis. So i am just hopimg that a scout might come to one of my matches at state in my junior or senior year, beacuse according to my coach/ college advisor there were scouts looking at our singles one player this year at the state tournament.
Also alot of the good players I know there familys do think they have a future in tennis. Not going pro or anything like that but maybe something related to tennis for there career.

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 11:40 AM
Top 40 with that kind of serve?

You probably should be around top 20.

You might just be a Ivo Karlovic, or you just don't hit as hard as you think you do.

Well, i don't play as many tournaments which is whyu i'm so far back... i win most of my matches but as i've said before my parents don't think i have any future in tennis, so i am only allowed to play a tournament every-so-often...

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 11:42 AM

Also, i am not ivo, i do serve and volley alot, but i have other skills and i have not seen many players who can return serve the way i can, (excluding everyone on my team who returns my serves as if they were just floaters.)

Bilbo
07-14-2009, 11:55 AM
its cool, u still could have a ranking... however, since ur just going to be a sophomore, u might not have a ranking yet. For example, a friend of mine is a 3 star player, and he's only played one tournament in his life (and in the tournament he lost in the second round to the two seed)! He was a great high school player so he was still scouted. He got a full ride to hampton, and is playing there right now.

If ur not going to pla tournaments, u should talk to ur head coach (who probably has a lot of connections since he coaches a powerhouse high school team) about scholarship offers. He can probably talk around to some scouts and get u looked at. From wat uve posted there should be ABSOLUTELY NO REASON u wont get some scholarship offers from some schools... good or not. And that's regardless if u play another tournament for the rest of ur high school career (considering all the tools ur game has, and all the connections ur coach probably has).

RedWeb
07-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Real simple... concentrate on the grades and everything else will take care of itself. Other than NCAA football and b-ball colleges don't exist to turn out athletes they exist to turn out scholars and the successful people of tomorrow.

In Texas, where my kids were raised and went to private and public school, most private schools have weaker athlete programs when compared to the larger public schools. So its hard to judge your abilities based upon success at private school level without knowing the competition level of your school as compared to the real powerhouses of the state/area.

Earlier, Toad had a wise post.

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Real simple... concentrate on the grades and everything else will take care of itself. Other than NCAA football and b-ball colleges don't exist to turn out athletes they exist to turn out scholars and the successful people of tomorrow.

In Texas, where my kids were raised and went to private and public school, most private schools have weaker athlete programs when compared to the larger public schools. So its hard to judge your abilities based upon success at private school level without knowing the competition level of your school as compared to the real powerhouses of the state/area.

Earlier, Toad had a wise post.

Only five public school was in the DII state tournament, we played two consecutively and won 5-0 5-0 I played doubles 2 and singles 2 in both of those matches.

zammouka
07-14-2009, 01:08 PM
You sound like you are pretty sick. If you keep up the good grades and keep your performance up, i am sure you will get a full ride. I heard of a kid who won the state tournament in doubles, which is alot harder to do than singles, and just walked on to a college team. If you are in the top 5 by the end of your senior year in high school, you are looking at a bright future.
Keep practicing and keep up the good work and the benefits will come by themselves. Good Luck!

Andres
07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
A 15 years old hitting 100 mph kickserves? Sorry, not buying it. Many MANY pros don't reach those numbers.

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 02:31 PM
well, then if that's what you believe then okay...

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Any ways, what are your thoughts on the schools that might look at me? DI, DII, DIII, NAIA (what is that by the way)?

gogeta087
07-14-2009, 06:22 PM
It's incredibly hard to say without any form of ranking. Your best shot is playing tournaments. Talk to your coach, see what he thinks. He knows you better than we do. Then try to convince your parents. If you need help, ask him. They're going to trust a coach much more than you on the topic of college tennis, most likely. Go to local jucos/other schools etc. and see what the level of competition is like compared to your game, though you may need to wait until the season starts. You can't do most of it from in front of your computer. And have your serves been clocked, or are you just assuming? Because 100 mph is a lot faster than most think.

JoshDragon
07-14-2009, 06:57 PM

Not at all. One of my friends could hit serves in the 90s at 14 or 15. He was small for his age too.

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 07:53 PM
Thanks for the help, but could someone please explain what the NAIA is? Is it like a juco or something?

tennismom42
07-14-2009, 08:38 PM
Concentrate on your grades and variety of activities, that is what will get you money for going to college and what will determine your college future. If you are getting straight A's, that is good, but make sure the classes you are taking are challenging. Colleges look at quality of courses, not just GPA...if you can, take some AP courses your junior and senior year (i.e. Calculus, AP Comp. or Lit., etc.).

If that still doesn't challenge you, try adding another sport into the mix, or volunteer a few hours a month (this will get you major good points with any college since most people won't have many if any volunteer hours on their application), join or start a school club, or possibly get a part time job. Doing a plethora of activities while still maintaining a high GPA and taking challenging courses will land you some very good offers at any school you apply to.

Even if doing this means you have to cut out a couple hours of tennis a day, or a day or two in a week, I would still consider doing these things. This is because you are probably more likely to get a full ride somewhere based your grades and variety of extra curricular activities than based on your tennis playing ability. Unfortunately Men's Tennis is near the bottom of a large list of sports schools like to fund. Hinging your college future on the slim chance of getting a tennis scholarship is not a good thing to do.

For what it's worth, this was the approach I took and it got me into the undergraduate college of my choice for a steep discount and now into one of my top graduate school choices. Of course everyone is different, so feel free to ignore my suggestions, it won't make a difference to me.

I hit the "mother load" of scholarship seach engines tonight. I came across this one and it reminded me of your comment.

A GPA Isn't Everything Scholarship
Provided By: Cappex.com
Deadline: July 31, 2009
Type of Award: Promotion
Amount: $1000
Awards Available: 1
Website: http://www.cappex.com/scholarships/GPAisntEverythingScholarship.jsp?code=FW_32
Description: The A GPA Isn't Everything Scholarship is available to students planning to attend college. You must be a US citizen and a high school student, GED recipient or current college student. You must demonstrate a strong record of extracurricular, leadership and/or volunteer activities to be eligible for this award.
Applicable Majors: Unspecified

SirBlend12
07-14-2009, 09:10 PM
Kick Serve 14, what school are you at? University... Kenston... Hawken... Indian Hill... Gahanna... CVCA?

Sorry for the list, but I know a decent bit about Ohio high school DII. It's only been a year since I was there with ya;)

Toad
07-14-2009, 09:35 PM
I hit the "mother load" of scholarship seach engines tonight. I came across this one and it reminded me of your comment.

A GPA Isn't Everything Scholarship
Provided By: Cappex.com
Deadline: July 31, 2009
Type of Award: Promotion
Amount: $1000
Awards Available: 1
Website: http://www.cappex.com/scholarships/GPAisntEverythingScholarship.jsp?code=FW_32
Description: The A GPA Isn't Everything Scholarship is available to students planning to attend college. You must be a US citizen and a high school student, GED recipient or current college student. You must demonstrate a strong record of extracurricular, leadership and/or volunteer activities to be eligible for this award.
Applicable Majors: Unspecified

Forgot about that stuff, but that is another thing. There are tons and tons of smaller privately funded scholarships like this if you are willing to look for them. You can find them for just about anything, and if you don't mind writing a bunch of 500 or 1000 word essays and filing out applications, chances are pretty good you will get one of them. I don't think I applied to any (or if I did it was only one of these), but if I remember correctly my sister applied to a few and did win one of them.

When I got into college I started applying for some of these scholarship (they were a little larger and more specific to my field though), and in total I received 9K in tuition from it. Not bad for just filling out applications. At one of the award dinners I asked about how many applicants there were for the scholarship and they told me they had a good turnout of 25 applicants that year. There were three scholarships awarded which meant all else being equal, you had a 12% chance of getting money from the start...pretty good odds in my book. I'm not trying to brag or anything here, I am just saying that if you are willing to have some initiative and look for the money, you will find it...you can't just expect it to fall into your lap though.

120mphBodyServe
07-15-2009, 04:04 AM
You really should play more tournaments...
*shakes head*
How about some videos of your serve???

Andres
07-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Not at all. One of my friends could hit serves in the 90s at 14 or 15. He was small for his age too.
2nd serves in the 90s at 14 or 15. Really?

Kick Serve 14
07-15-2009, 06:23 AM
Kick Serve 14, what school are you at? University... Kenston... Hawken... Indian Hill... Gahanna... CVCA?

Sorry for the list, but I know a decent bit about Ohio high school DII. It's only been a year since I was there with ya;)

No i'm in a high school in toledo ohio, i don't know if you've ever heard of it Maumee Valley Contry Day School.

Kick Serve 14
07-15-2009, 07:28 AM
That might be easier said than done, most of the kids on my team are better than me, but i made it because of my huge serve and solid volleys.

SirBlend12
07-21-2009, 08:29 PM
No i'm in a high school in toledo ohio, i don't know if you've ever heard of it Maumee Valley Contry Day School.

Oh yeah. I've seen you guys pop up on just about every state tourney roster I can remember. I'd say you have a good place to start!

CTennis11
07-22-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the help, but could someone please explain what the NAIA is? Is it like a juco or something?

From my understanding NAIA is just another division in a way...I know it can give out scholarships. Some of the top teams are really good too

InsideOut94
07-22-2009, 07:50 PM

Thanks in advance

Ha topspin and kick are the same spins buddy :D

ClarkC
07-23-2009, 06:24 AM
Ha topspin and kick are the same spins buddy :D

They can refer to the same spin, or not, depending on who is talking. Picturing a clock face on the front of the ball, a slice strokes the ball from 9:00 to 3:00 for a right hander. A kick serve strokes the ball from 7:00 up to 1:00. I suppose you could toss the ball over your head and try to stroke it from 6:00 to 12:00. Then there is the serve I call half-slice, half-kick, stroking from 8:00 to 2:00.

I think some people call the half-slice, half-kick a kick serve, and then call the 7:00 to 1:00 a topspin serve. Not sure why there is disagreement on terminology.

I like my terminology the best. :)

gogeta087
07-23-2009, 08:45 AM
8-2 Is generally called the Twist serve, or 7-1 sometimes.

Barricated
07-28-2009, 05:13 PM
man there are a lot of these threads!

Kick Serve 14
07-29-2009, 01:36 PM
From my understanding NAIA is just another division in a way...I know it can give out scholarships. Some of the top teams are really good too

So is it on the same tier as D I or D II schools? Or are the schools much smaller?

DownTheLine
07-29-2009, 02:57 PM
It's not that hard to be able to play college tennis... But, what is hard is to get a full ride.

What is your section rank?
What is your national rank?

If your not ranked within the top 5 for section and you don't have a high national ranking you can kiss the full ride goodbye.

My personal coach was #4 in the section through out 14s, 16s and 18s with a pretty good national rank and he made it to a top D2 school with a scholarship but i', not sure if it was a full ride.

fruitytennis1
07-29-2009, 03:12 PM
Volunteer hours own all other actvities.
Well you know what i mean.

TennisNinja
07-29-2009, 04:38 PM
So is it on the same tier as D I or D II schools? Or are the schools much smaller?

From what I know NAIA is the equivalent of DII.

Rui
07-30-2009, 08:19 PM
How do your parents think playing better tennis will harm your future?

It sounds like you have the goods to play D1. (Not all D1 schools have killer teams.) Earning a Sectional ranking would help.

Kick Serve 14
08-02-2009, 12:29 PM
How do your parents think playing better tennis will harm your future?

It sounds like you have the goods to play D1. (Not all D1 schools have killer teams.) Earning a Sectional ranking would help.

Because, they believe that playing tennis interferes with school. And because i will never become a pro (according to them, i might believe that i could had i not been told from the first time that i piced up a racket that i would have no chance.) therefore, i am wasting time that i could use by studying...

08-04-2009, 09:51 AM
That might be easier said than done, most of the kids on my team are better than me, but i made it because of my huge serve and solid volleys.

Hey, you are 15!

It's all in front of you to make happen.
Keep asking questions and only listen to the ones who have advice on how to do it.
Don't listen to those who tell you it can't.

DownTheLine
08-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Kick serve what's you sectinol and natinaol ranking?

Kick Serve 14
08-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Kick serve what's you sectinol and natinaol ranking?

I don't have one, all i have ranking wise, is being within the top 16 in the state for high school DII.

fruitytennis1
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
100+ on all serves. Mabey a little exaggeration. Admit it you cant hit a topspin or kick above 80. If im serving bombs i can hit about mid 80s on topspin low-mid 70s for a kicker. Ye im 15 also.

10ACE
08-09-2009, 08:27 PM
If you have the grades and do well on your SATS I say apply to the DI schools that you like and then DII schools, even if you're not recruited, if you need a scholarship have your coach call some of the coaches to get your word out there, you can always walk onto a team.

kme5150
08-10-2009, 04:03 AM
First, pick the school that you like the most without tennis being a factor.

IF, you would get a scholarship it probably wouldn't be a full athletic because a coach would try and get you at least a half academic so he could free up more of his budget. You have to remember that there are only 4 1/2 scholarships per team and a coach has to make that money last. Coaches come and go all the time so you have to think on whether you like the school/team well enough even if the coach isn't there.

If you are serious about getting noticed, play the ******* Qualifier and then the ******* Closed next year. There will be at least 10 coaches/scouts from various sized schools there watching.

kme5150
08-10-2009, 04:04 AM
I forgot, the stars are suppose to be m.i.d.w.e.s.t.

Kick Serve 14
08-10-2009, 08:56 AM
Okay, thanks.... I'll try to convince my parents.

Kick Serve 14
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
Also I recently went to a camp that took place in Oberlin Ohio. Where the man in charge of the camp was the head coach of both men's and womens tennis. but, he didn't seem to think that i was very good. He was always telling me that what i was doing was good, but it could have been better... That actually suprised me, 'cuz i played some of the counselors, who were all college varsity players and i beat one of them. and i lost i a really close set to another...

DownTheLine
08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
So it surprised you that you could do better? LOL

goran_ace
08-11-2009, 05:50 AM
Assuming a lot of the counselors at Oberlin's tennis camp are Oberlin players, you are gauging yourself against average at best DIII players.

Kick Serve 14
08-11-2009, 04:15 PM
Assuming a lot of the counselors at Oberlin's tennis camp are Oberlin players, you are gauging yourself against average at best DIII players.

No, only one was a player at Oberlin the rest were all former campers and were playing at different schools in ohio, and one in pennsylvania. Also, most of them were playing DII or higher and they were all good players.

Kick Serve 14
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM
So it surprised you that you could do better? LOL

No, what suprised me was that i almost never got a compliment, unlike eveyone else there...

120mphBodyServe
08-11-2009, 05:12 PM
No, what suprised me was that i almost never got a compliment, unlike eveyone else there...

Could be a sign of resentment..
Read in between the lines, they might be jealous of you...
*sigh*

TennisPassion5
08-11-2009, 05:50 PM
My buddy, Ben Turchin will be their no.1 next year. Him and I both went to high school together, where he was our no.1 also, and he's about a 5.0 player.

DownTheLine
08-11-2009, 05:59 PM
Nvmmmmmmmmm

Kick Serve 14
08-11-2009, 06:41 PM
My buddy, Ben Turchin will be their no.1 next year. Him and I both went to high school together, where he was our no.1 also, and he's about a 5.0 player.

The only one who i played with from there was Joe Leffler, he really wiped the floor with me

jserve
08-12-2009, 03:24 PM
I went to MV for elementary school and also went to the tennis camps at Oberlin when I was in hs. If your looking to play in college, you will have to spend more time playing tournaments outside of the HS season, because being in a DII school you wont get as many chances to play college caliber players.

Furthermore, college recruiters wont see too many hs matches because its during their season as well. Its the summer tournaments where you can get noticed. It's been a while, but if they are still around, the summer tournaments with the strongest players and the most recruiters were Jr. Davis Cup, ******* Closed, and ******* Open.

Kick Serve 14
08-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Could be a sign of resentment..
Read in between the lines, they might be jealous of you...
*sigh*

Oh, I wish... if only, if only...

Kick Serve 14
08-22-2009, 04:05 PM
any more thoughts?

Bilbo
08-23-2009, 10:33 AM

Please tell me your name so i can start rooting for you when you go on the pro tour!!!

Hell, im 16, started playing a year and a half ago and playing L5 (second to lowest level... but still good players) tournaments in my area. I recently won one so im happy with that. But, your dominating Division II starters at the age of 15... second serving in the 100's and 90's, so u should probably tell ur parents that your going pro. Lol. I'd love to see you play, cuz i kno a guy (the best player in our conference) John Collins, who is ranked 15 in the nation by tennisrecruiting.net and is a 5 star athlete. The way ur playin, u might be able to hang with him!

Ill look for you in the next 2 and a half years to make ur way on the pro circuit and start winning futures.

johnkidd
08-23-2009, 05:33 PM

Thanks in advance

Based on your description, you play at SCD, SH or CCDS....am I correct?

Kick Serve 14
08-23-2009, 06:07 PM
Please tell me your name so i can start rooting for you when you go on the pro tour!!!

Hell, im 16, started playing a year and a half ago and playing L5 (second to lowest level... but still good players) tournaments in my area. I recently won one so im happy with that. But, your dominating Division II starters at the age of 15... second serving in the 100's and 90's, so u should probably tell ur parents that your going pro. Lol. I'd love to see you play, cuz i kno a guy (the best player in our conference) John Collins, who is ranked 15 in the nation by tennisrecruiting.net and is a 5 star athlete. The way ur playin, u might be able to hang with him!

Ill look for you in the next 2 and a half years to make ur way on the pro circuit and start winning futures.

I'm not going pro... i have no intention of doing so... unless i somehow manage to be like the best player in DI (i doubt that will happen...)

tennismom42
08-23-2009, 07:01 PM
man there are a lot of these threads!

There should be! If competitor's from class of 2010 are smart, they'll do lots of the recruiting process now, then sign this November. Then they can use the rest of the time to enjoy themselves & look for other scholarships.

Kick Serve 14
08-24-2009, 06:00 AM
There should be! If competitor's from class of 2010 are smart, they'll do lots of the recruiting process now, then sign this November. Then they can use the rest of the time to enjoy themselves & look for other scholarships.

I agree...

arunstennis
08-24-2009, 07:16 AM
hey man what school do you go to i live in the northeast ohio area just wondering since i have 3 schools in mind of where you may go to

Kick Serve 14
08-24-2009, 07:31 AM
Maumee valley

johnkidd
08-24-2009, 08:49 AM
Maumee valley

You're in NWO. Very familiar with MVCDS. I played at St Francis a hundred years ago (well not that long but you get the picture). I also played college at Findlay, and was the assistant coach at Findlay HS for a couple years before I decided it was time to get a real job.

MVCDS always has a good team, and with your grades at a higher level academic school you'll be able to find a school to play at if that's the route you chose to go. The great things about Ohio is there are so many DII & DIII programs to choose from. It's really up to you what you want to major in and do the schools that you like and can play at have the program.

Kick Serve 14
08-24-2009, 01:54 PM
You're in NWO. Very familiar with MVCDS. I played at St Francis a hundred years ago (well not that long but you get the picture). I also played college at Findlay, and was the assistant coach at Findlay HS for a couple years before I decided it was time to get a real job.

MVCDS always has a good team, and with your grades at a higher level academic school you'll be able to find a school to play at if that's the route you chose to go. The great things about Ohio is there are so many DII & DIII programs to choose from. It's really up to you what you want to major in and do the schools that you like and can play at have the program.

Ah... i see, however, i would like to, if possible, go to a DI school, do you think i could?

DownTheLine
08-24-2009, 02:50 PM
Why don't you post some videos of you playing?

Kick Serve 14
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
when i have time i will... also, i would need to figure out how to upload it.

DownTheLine
08-24-2009, 03:05 PM
Go to YouTube...

johnkidd
08-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Ah... i see, however, i would like to, if possible, go to a DI school, do you think i could?

Depends on the program. When I was playing we beat Cleveland State and lost 5-4 to Wright St, both DI programs. Although I will qualify that by saying since then Miami, Cincinnati, and Bowling Green have all dropped their programs so those schools have upgraded their programs.

There are quite a few threads on here about playing at a DI school versus going to a DII or DIII school. I had my heart set on playing DI, but by the time I was a senior I realized it wasn't going to happen. Looking back I wish I would have looked more closely at the better DIII schools. One of the pros I worked with played for Kenyon and tried talking me into going there. Hind sight being 20/20 it's an excellent academic school and usually top 25 nationally.

What club do you work out at?

Kick Serve 14
08-24-2009, 06:42 PM
I work out at laurel hills, generally...

arunstennis
08-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Maumee valley
oh ok nvm i thought u might go to University School or Hawken or Gilmour Academy(where the #1 rated sophmore girl lauren davis goes too lol)

Kick Serve 14
08-25-2009, 08:00 AM
oh ok nvm i thought u might go to University School or Hawken or Gilmour Academy(where the #1 rated sophmore girl lauren davis goes too lol)

Nope... i probably wouldn't be playing varsity if i went to any of those schools.

Tar Heel Tennis
08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
do you live near a DI campus? if so, you should go watch some matches. watch the #1 flight players, as well as the #6 flight players. this will give you an idea of the talent level you need to have in order to play at that level.

actually, you should do this at all of the colleges in your area. this will give you a good idea of what it takes to play college tennis.

good luck to you.

Kick Serve 14
08-27-2009, 01:40 PM
do you live near a DI campus? if so, you should go watch some matches. watch the #1 flight players, as well as the #6 flight players. this will give you an idea of the talent level you need to have in order to play at that level.

actually, you should do this at all of the colleges in your area. this will give you a good idea of what it takes to play college tennis.

good luck to you.

I already did, we have scrmages against the UT boys JV team all the time, currently i can't win more that one set in a best of three set match... but now that i am a sophomore, and i have grown more and i am stronger, i am hoping that it will be different this year...

Bilbo
09-03-2009, 02:56 AM
I already did, we have scrmages against the UT boys JV team all the time, currently i can't win more that one set in a best of three set match... but now that i am a sophomore, and i have grown more and i am stronger, i am hoping that it will be different this year...

You can get a set off of Texas' starters?:shock:

Damn!

usmeagle91
09-03-2009, 02:16 PM

Damn!

Its probably Tennessee, but either way, it's still pretty damn good.

Kick Serve 14
09-07-2009, 10:06 AM

Damn!

NO, NO NO, University of Toledo, but as we all know they are better than texas XD

Kick Serve 14
09-07-2009, 04:12 PM
So, i just gunned my serves for the first time in a while, and my flat it up at around 105 while my kick is hovering around 93, the slice is 90's and my topspin is around 85, i found that confusing that they all droppedf minus my flat serve, but at the same time, the have more spin... so i can't complain.

Kick Serve 14
09-13-2009, 01:13 PM
So... any more thoughts?

SmAsH999
09-19-2009, 04:54 PM
dude, my high school's #1 player is top 10 middle states, and he won a match at kalamazoo, and from what i know he's been offered a division 1 scholarship. he's a senior, and he's extremely good. i guess what i'm trying to say is that you're a sophomore, and you have two more years. think about how good you were two years ago, and if you can improve at least that much in that time, you'll be fine. maybe you'll even be as good as him by the time you're a senior. and who knows, maybe you're kick will be clocked at 120 by the time you're a senior. ;) :) Good luck, anyhow.

DownTheLine
09-19-2009, 08:40 PM
So, i just gunned my serves for the first time in a while, and my flat it up at around 105 while my kick is hovering around 93, the slice is 90's and my topspin is around 85, i found that confusing that they all droppedf minus my flat serve, but at the same time, the have more spin... so i can't complain.
NVM........

Kick Serve 14
09-23-2009, 04:11 PM
dude, my high school's #1 player is top 10 middle states, and he won a match at kalamazoo, and from what i know he's been offered a division 1 scholarship. he's a senior, and he's extremely good. i guess what i'm trying to say is that you're a sophomore, and you have two more years. think about how good you were two years ago, and if you can improve at least that much in that time, you'll be fine. maybe you'll even be as good as him by the time you're a senior. and who knows, maybe you're kick will be clocked at 120 by the time you're a senior. ;) :) Good luck, anyhow.

Well, technically i have three, cuz so far i am only just starting my sophomore year and tennis season hasn't started yet.

johnkidd
09-24-2009, 03:22 PM
KS14....how do you do against the SJS guys?

Kick Serve 14
09-24-2009, 03:57 PM
i assume that you mean saint johns? if so... i beat the first guy 6-4 6-2 and the second 6-1 6-2

johnkidd
09-30-2009, 07:24 PM
i assume that you mean saint johns? if so... i beat the first guy 6-4 6-2 and the second 6-1 6-2

You beat Jorgenson 4 & 2?

jserve
10-05-2009, 07:14 PM
I work out at laurel hills, generally...

I grew up playing at LH and coached there a bunch when I was in HS and college. Kinda curious if me (Jeff Servoss) or my younger brother, Rick, ever taught tennis at LH while you were there. We both have taught there on and off for a long time, but neither in the last 4 years.

johnkidd
10-08-2009, 02:56 AM
I grew up playing at LH and coached there a bunch when I was in HS and college. Kinda curious if me (Jeff Servoss) or my younger brother, Rick, ever taught tennis at LH while you were there. We both have taught there on and off for a long time, but neither in the last 4 years.

Jeff-I remember you, although I'm not sure I was coaching when you played (I was the assistant coach at for Findlay in 93, 95-96). I think everyone who played tennis in Toledo played at LH at one time or another. Had to like the pool in the summer.

Kick Serve 14
10-08-2009, 04:26 AM
You beat Jorgenson 4 & 2?

no... it was one of their doubles players playing singles

johnkidd
10-08-2009, 05:45 PM
no... it was one of their doubles players playing singles

Still a good win.

35ft6
10-09-2009, 04:10 PM
I have all A's in school... but based on my tennis profile do you think i might get a full ride scholarship to play in college.
Not sure about a full ride at the Ivy's. In two years you might be good enough to play 5 or 6 for them but all of the Ivy teams are pretty solid. This is the guy who played 6 for Darthmouth, the bottom dwellers of the Ivy last year:Junior Tennis Career: 1. Ranked Number 4 In 18's Norcal 2. National: Top 100 at Times. 3. High School: #3 freshman year, 1 sophomore year, 1 junior year, and 1 senior year 4. In his senior year Chris was undefeated in league 5. Chris was MVP junior and senior year (the only two years they had the award) 6. Chris received the sportsmanship award at Norcal sectionals.If you want a full ride, you might want to consider other schools. Also, D3 schools, they say they don't award athletic scholarships but they find ways to give you money, wink wink. There are some D3 colleges with very strong teams and great academics, places like Amherst, Skidmore, Middlebury, Williams, Washington University, Emory, John Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, University of Chicago, and Rochester, among others. Lot of these schools are top 25 tier 1 institutions. You could probably make the teams at any of these places if you continue to improve, and in the case of places like University of Chicago or Rochester, maybe even if you don't get a whole lot better. Getting the full tennis experience is awesome, I would be realistic and go someplace where you can play all the time. At the Ivy's, if you're lucky, you might get on the team but only play rubber matches if at all.

edit: in my mind, I somehow combined your thread with the one about the Ivy's... but except for the stuff specifically about the Ivy schools, my suggestions still pertain...

Kick Serve 14
10-10-2009, 12:57 PM
Not sure about a full ride at the Ivy's. In two years you might be good enough to play 5 or 6 for them but all of the Ivy teams are pretty solid. This is the guy who played 6 for Darthmouth, the bottom dwellers of the Ivy last year:If you want a full ride, you might want to consider other schools. Also, D3 schools, they say they don't award athletic scholarships but they find ways to give you money, wink wink. There are some D3 colleges with very strong teams and great academics, places like Amherst, Skidmore, Middlebury, Williams, Washington University, Emory, John Hopkins, Carnegie Mellon, University of Chicago, and Rochester, among others. Lot of these schools are top 25 tier 1 institutions. You could probably make the teams at any of these places if you continue to improve, and in the case of places like University of Chicago or Rochester, maybe even if you don't get a whole lot better. Getting the full tennis experience is awesome, I would be realistic and go someplace where you can play all the time. At the Ivy's, if you're lucky, you might get on the team but only play rubber matches if at all.

edit: in my mind, I somehow combined your thread with the one about the Ivy's... but except for the stuff specifically about the Ivy schools, my suggestions still pertain...

i was actually thinking about some of those schools... excluding the ivy schools

jserve
10-11-2009, 12:49 AM
I don't know much about the other schools listed, but I know an MV grad Jon Hui (class of '99) played for Carnegie Mellon. If you had HS results like his that is definitely a possibility.

jay144
10-11-2009, 04:33 AM
I think you absolutely have a shot. When there is a will there is a way. 35ft6 really just gave you the 411 there. I hope you get into a good college. :)

Kick Serve 14
10-12-2009, 02:05 PM
I don't know much about the other schools listed, but I know an MV grad Jon Hui (class of '99) played for Carnegie Mellon. If you had HS results like his that is definitely a possibility.

yea... i know jon kinda... not really, i was in first grade when he graduated, but i saw him play before... we was pretty good, however, he had a much different game then mine.

DownTheLine
10-12-2009, 04:22 PM
You should post a video of you playing so we would be able to make a better judgement.

Kick Serve 14
10-12-2009, 06:12 PM
i'll see if i can do that this weekend... if not very soon...

xFullCourtTenniSx
10-13-2009, 12:12 AM
if you can hit your kick 2nd serve at 100+ mph, you could skip college and directly go to the pro's :)

That's what I was thinking... :shock:

As a freshman in high school too! He still has several years before he hits his prime!

DownTheLine
10-13-2009, 05:56 AM
That's what I was thinking... :shock:

As a freshman in high school too! He still has several years before he hits his prime!

I think he was exagerating just a little...

Kick Serve 14
10-13-2009, 01:56 PM
I think he was exagerating just a little...

not by much... on average i hit lower than that, in the mid 80's but, i can go up to the high nineties if need be

skyzoo
10-13-2009, 02:47 PM
not by much... on average i hit lower than that, in the mid 80's but, i can go up to the high nineties if need be
Videeeoooo.....?

DownTheLine
10-13-2009, 05:15 PM

Mid 80s and over 100 is a HUGE difference.

skyzoo
10-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Mid 80s and over 100 is a HUGE difference.
especially with the kick serve. it effects trajectory serving either 85 or 101 mph. I'll believe it when i see it.

teppeiahn1
10-20-2009, 09:51 PM

I just dont get how ur topspin serve is slower then ur kicker:confused:

Kick Serve 14
10-31-2009, 04:22 PM
I just dont get how ur topspin serve is slower then ur kicker:confused:
because i have a tendency to hit up on the ball more on the topspin serve so some pace is taken off from it... but the end result is a more massive and harder to return bounce.
Anyways, idk about a vireo... my camera just broke and my dad doesn't want to get me a new one so for now thanks for all of the imput

Coach Carter
11-17-2009, 10:54 AM

you'd have a tennis recruiting ranking in your age group if you have a USTA rank...

fruitytennis1
11-23-2009, 04:24 PM
Sorry your lying somewhere. For sure some exaggeration.

nethawkwenatchee
12-04-2009, 08:49 PM
Keep trying hard!

OHBH
12-05-2009, 01:49 AM
2nd serves in the 90s at 14 or 15. Really?

If you can hit a first serve that hard you can hit a second serve just a hard.
Some people don't throttle down and have a good number of double faults. They just believe their first serve is just a powerful as their second serve but they are really just taking chances with two first serves. Your second serve percentage must be at LEAST! 90% more like 95% to be a real second serve. otherwise you are just kidding yourself

hankpunk
12-05-2009, 02:51 PM
Keep trying hard!

justinmadison
12-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I looked at the 2009 roster for the Maumee Valley Country Day School. Most of the guys are not rated on TennisRecruiting. The three that are rated are …

Christian Fesko
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/activity.asp?id=554953
Junior -> Not Rated -> record 1-5 against sophomores in the bottom 1500 of their class. According to your posts you should be crushing this guy every time you play.

Karanbir Padda
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/activity.asp?id=342760
Senior -> One Star -> record 6-10 Ranked 1141 in his class. I doubt if he will play any major collage tennis. Can you beat this guy?

Eyad Jaara
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/activity.asp?id=341297
Senior -> Two Star -> record 19 – 1 Ranked 399 He is hurt by the lack of competition. He has only played one 2 star player and 19 1 star players. It is hard to tell just how good he may be. Can you beat this guy?

Until you guys get out and play some serious competition you will not know how good you are. There is a tournament in Kalamazoo MI,
http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=86845

2010 ******* Series January Designated Boys 18. It is 2 ½ hours from Toledo. Can you get someone to take you? I don’t know if you can get in, but it would not hurt to try. It is a designated which in SoCal means national points and good competition.

Until you play some quality players you really cannot know where you stand.

Kick Serve 14
12-11-2009, 09:31 AM
I looked at the 2009 roster for the Maumee Valley Country Day School. Most of the guys are not rated on TennisRecruiting. The three that are rated are …

Christian Fesko
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/activity.asp?id=554953
Junior -> Not Rated -> record 1-5 against sophomores in the bottom 1500 of their class. According to your posts you should be crushing this guy every time you play.

Karanbir Padda
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/activity.asp?id=342760
Senior -> One Star -> record 6-10 Ranked 1141 in his class. I doubt if he will play any major collage tennis. Can you beat this guy?

Eyad Jaara
http://www.tennisrecruiting.net/player/activity.asp?id=341297
Senior -> Two Star -> record 19 – 1 Ranked 399 He is hurt by the lack of competition. He has only played one 2 star player and 19 1 star players. It is hard to tell just how good he may be. Can you beat this guy?

Until you guys get out and play some serious competition you will not know how good you are. There is a tournament in Kalamazoo MI,
http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=86845

2010 ******* Series January Designated Boys 18. It is 2 ½ hours from Toledo. Can you get someone to take you? I don’t know if you can get in, but it would not hurt to try. It is a designated which in SoCal means national points and good competition.

Until you play some quality players you really cannot know where you stand.

I can beat christian, though he challenges me often.... i struggle against karan, however i can beat him... no one in toledo can beat eyad and neither can i

tennis005
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
Do colleges care more about your stats as a junior or how good you play?

DownTheLine
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
Do colleges care more about your stats as a junior or how good you play?

Depends where you live. Most likely both.

tennis005
12-12-2009, 10:58 AM
What if I'm a really good player but never played a single tournament as a junior or a junior who wins alot of tournaments but isn't as good as the first player. Which would they choose?

justinmadison
12-12-2009, 11:33 AM
The reality is the junior who wins tournaments is going to be better than the one who never played a single tournament. After all playing tournaments is a big part of learning how to be a better tennis player.

The collage coach wants to win the NCAA tournament. Who would you want? Someone who has a record of winning tournaments or someone who has never even played one?

jserve
12-12-2009, 02:44 PM
I can beat christian, though he challenges me often.... i struggle against karan, however i can beat him... no one in toledo can beat eyad and neither can i

Can Eyad beat Jeffrey Schorsch? I usually play Jeff every time I come back to Toledo and that kid is getting impressively good.

advantagetennis1
12-12-2009, 03:22 PM
[QUOTE=Kick Serve 14;4188969]I can beat christian, though he challenges me often.... i struggle against karan, however i can beat him... no one in toledo can beat eyad and neither can i[/QUOTE

if you struggle against karan theres no way in **** you can hit a 90mph kick serve, no offense but id be surprised if you can hit a kick serve. Im not trying to be mean man but so many juniors come on here thinking they are far far better than they are.

ClarkC
12-13-2009, 09:24 AM
What if I'm a really good player but never played a single tournament as a junior or a junior who wins alot of tournaments but isn't as good as the first player. Which would they choose?

How would the college coach know how good the player is who never plays tournaments?

Hint: They don't have time to go around to high school matches, where it might be the case that they are only interested in 1-2 players. They can just barely find the time to attend some tournaments where national ranking points are at stake, and there they can see several players they are interested in.

goran_ace
12-14-2009, 05:57 AM

College tennis is not just about being a good ball striker or being able to hit a 100+ mph first serve. Raw tools can only get you so far. They are only a fraction of the total game. You can expect everyone in college to be able to hit a good ball, and how to handle someone else who hits a good ball. Coaches want someone who has shown they know how to win and can do that consistently. Without tournament experience your strokes, your tactics, and your mental toughness are untested. Coaches won't know, and you won't even know, how your total game holds up under pressure.

Kick Serve 14
12-14-2009, 02:16 PM
[QUOTE=Kick Serve 14;4188969]I can beat christian, though he challenges me often.... i struggle against karan, however i can beat him... no one in toledo can beat eyad and neither can i[/QUOTE

if you struggle against karan theres no way in **** you can hit a 90mph kick serve, no offense but id be surprised if you can hit a kick serve. Im not trying to be mean man but so many juniors come on here thinking they are far far better than they are.

How so? I know people who barely know how to play tennis who can hit any serve they want but have crappy groundstrokes... Why do you assume that i cant hit one just because i cant beat karan 6-1 6-0?

Kick Serve 14
12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Can Eyad beat Jeffrey Schorsch? I usually play Jeff every time I come back to Toledo and that kid is getting impressively good.

Where does jeffery go to school at? If he goes to one of the teams that plays DII then yes, eyad has beaten him... if not, i dont know because we only play against other DII teams... and occasionally University of Toledo kids

advantagetennis1
12-14-2009, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=advantagetennis1;4191419]

How so? I know people who barely know how to play tennis who can hit any serve they want but have crappy groundstrokes... Why do you assume that i cant hit one just because i cant beat karan 6-1 6-0?

there is no one on this planet who can hit 90mph kick serves and has no idea how to hit a groundstroke. when playing karan you should have never gotten broken in your entire life against him. 90mph kick serves are top 50 atp. your prob a 3.0 weak 3.5 im just saying based off of not being able to beat eyad and being competitive with karan...

Kick Serve 14
12-14-2009, 03:50 PM
[QUOTE=Kick Serve 14;4196212]

there is no one on this planet who can hit 90mph kick serves and has no idea how to hit a groundstroke. when playing karan you should have never gotten broken in your entire life against him. 90mph kick serves are top 50 atp. your prob a 3.0 weak 3.5 im just saying based off of not being able to beat eyad and being competitive with karan...

not sure about the rating.... but i am sure i could find pro's below top 50 who can hit more than 90 mph on their kickers

jserve
12-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Where does jeffery go to school at? If he goes to one of the teams that plays DII then yes, eyad has beaten him... if not, i dont know because we only play against other DII teams... and occasionally University of Toledo kids

I think he is a freshman at P-burg so he hasn't played any HS tennis yet, but he will probably be one of the best in the city even as a freshman. If you play in any of the tournaments outside of the HS season (which is recommended if you want to play college), you will probably hear his name a lot.

[QUOTE=advantagetennis1;4196447]

not sure about the rating.... but i am sure i could find pro's below top 50 who can hit more than 90 mph on their kickers

You don't even need to look at pros to see 90+ mph kick serves. Its rather common in 5.0+ players. Some of the pros can hit kickers that are 110+.

jserve
12-14-2009, 08:19 PM
You said you play out of LH, right? Have you talked to Mark Faber about your goals? He has been coaching for a long time and helped many players reach the collegiate tennis level. He might have some better insights than a bunch of us speculating on your level of play.

johnkidd
12-17-2009, 04:06 AM
You said you play out of LH, right? Have you talked to Mark Faber about your goals? He has been coaching for a long time and helped many players reach the collegiate tennis level. He might have some better insights than a bunch of us speculating on your level of play.
Agree 100% With JServe. I also agree with everyone who is mentioning playing tournaments. It teaches you how to handle situations. I didn't play a whole lot of them growing up and it hurt me. When I did finally start playing in college, I knew what to do, but executing under pressure is an entirely different animal.

You have also mentioned that your parents don't really take the tennis too seriously because they want you to focus on your academics. You need to tell them your goal is to play college tennis, and if you can do both that only increases your chances of scholarship money. There are plenty of small schools where you could play with great academic reputations.

Too many people on here get caught up in the fact that if you aren't a 5 star recruit and you aren't going to a top 30 program then you aren't any good and that is so far from the truth. I was talking recently with one of my old HS teamates and his last year of the 18's he was ranked 75 in the Western's and never played in college, yet there were guys he beat who went on to a variety of schools and were able to play.

Kick Serve 14
12-17-2009, 10:16 AM
Agree 100% With JServe. I also agree with everyone who is mentioning playing tournaments. It teaches you how to handle situations. I didn't play a whole lot of them growing up and it hurt me. When I did finally start playing in college, I knew what to do, but executing under pressure is an entirely different animal.

You have also mentioned that your parents don't really take the tennis too seriously because they want you to focus on your academics. You need to tell them your goal is to play college tennis, and if you can do both that only increases your chances of scholarship money. There are plenty of small schools where you could play with great academic reputations.

Too many people on here get caught up in the fact that if you aren't a 5 star recruit and you aren't going to a top 30 program then you aren't any good and that is so far from the truth. I was talking recently with one of my old HS teamates and his last year of the 18's he was ranked 75 in the Western's and never played in college, yet there were guys he beat who went on to a variety of schools and were able to play.

I have not talked to mark about my goals much, because everytime we talk he wants to change the way i play, because he doesn't like the serve-and-volley. While i have had actual success in the ohio state hs DII tournament playing this way.

johnkidd
12-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I have not talked to mark about my goals much, because everytime we talk he wants to change the way i play, because he doesn't like the serve-and-volley. While i have had actual success in the ohio state hs DII tournament playing this way.

Maybe you need to go talk to Todd Dominiak over at the new club in Perrysburg. He was (not sure how much he still does) one of the toughest S&V guys around.

Kick Serve 14
12-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Maybe you need to go talk to Todd Dominiak over at the new club in Perrysburg. He was (not sure how much he still does) one of the toughest S&V guys around.
thanks i'll keep that in mind. he works at ptc you say? i have never been over there

advantagetennis1
12-17-2009, 03:46 PM
thanks i'll keep that in mind. he works at ptc you say? i have never been over there

no offence but why are you offering advice if you never went through the college recruiting process or junior tennis scene. Bottom line is you wont get a scholarship to a d1 school unless at the very least are a 3 star for your own age group. This guy struggles with players who are barely one stars.

advantagetennis1
12-17-2009, 03:47 PM
if you want to play d1 you should at least be beating that eyad guy.

advantagetennis1
12-17-2009, 03:50 PM
sorry man but even if you started training as hard as you can right now everyday with the best coaches your not going to get a full ride anywhere.. nowhere. if you stay improving the way you are right now you wouldn't even make the team at most division two schools. You need to realise just how tough the competition is.

jserve
12-17-2009, 04:18 PM

2009 Div II Doubles (http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/te/boys/2009/bd2_Dbl_09.pdf)

2009 Div II Singles (http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/te/boys/2009/bd2_Sgl_09.pdf)

2008 Div II Doubles (http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/te/Boys/2008/bd2_Dbl_08.pdf)

2008 Div II Singles (http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/te/Boys/2008/bd2_Sgl_08.pdf)

drupha
12-18-2009, 05:32 AM
Hmm... So you have no shot at beating a quarterfinalist in the second division of state in Ohio?

I have to admit, that doesn't look good for you. You have to remember that Ohio's not a great tennis state (I graduated from The Ohio State University so I remember the gray skies very, very well), so the fact that you're not overly competitive there doesn't bode well for D1, esp if you don't really do tournament play.

I played high school tennis in Arizona at the second division, made state 1 time in a fluke doubles run, and can say that the state qualifiers in Ohio that I played while at OSU prob would've gotten bounced in regional quarterfinals in AZ. And AZ doesn't hold a candle next to Texas, California, and Florida.

So between international kids and southern kids, if you're not clearly in the top tier of Ohio tennis, you're prob not playing D1. Is that Eyad kid getting recruited anywhere? If he's not, and you have a negligible chance at beating him, that should tell most of the story.

I went to a D3 school for undergrad, and most of the roster was kids who won state or at least made the semis from mediocre states (I'd lump Ohio here), or made it to state from a better state, and it wasn't even a ranked program.

I also call shenanigans on your serve speeds. If you really serve like that and can't make QFs in Ohio you're either in a wheelchair, DF 95% of the time, or have absolutely no game outside of your serves.

johnkidd
12-18-2009, 05:33 AM
2009 Div II Doubles (http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/te/boys/2009/bd2_Dbl_09.pdf)

2009 Div II Singles (http://www.ohsaa.org/Sports/te/boys/2009/bd2_Sgl_09.pdf)

2008 Div II Doubles (http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/te/Boys/2008/bd2_Dbl_08.pdf)

2008 Div II Singles (http://www.ohsaa.org/sports/te/Boys/2008/bd2_Sgl_08.pdf)

Big difference winning a couple rounds in sectionals or districts and making it down to Columbus. That said I never did well in the tournaments, but grew 4" after I graduates and go much better while playing in college.

drupha
12-18-2009, 05:35 AM
Oh yeah, and district/regionals/sectionals or whatever are not "the state tournament." State is state.

Kick Serve 14
12-20-2009, 08:03 AM
just for the record, for those of you who dont know.... earlier i said that i wasn't really interested in DI, but rather DII and DIII my origional question was asking whether or not i could play at a smaller school...

drupha
12-20-2009, 04:58 PM
just for the record, for those of you who dont know.... earlier i said that i wasn't really interested in DI, but rather DII and DIII my origional question was asking whether or not i could play at a smaller school...

My fault. For some reason I was thinking you were wanting to play D1. In that case there's definitely D3 colleges that would love to have you if you keep your grades up. A guy at Eyad's level could most likely play at D2 or better D3's.

Kick Serve 14
12-21-2009, 07:50 AM
My fault. For some reason I was thinking you were wanting to play D1. In that case there's definitely D3 colleges that would love to have you if you keep your grades up. A guy at Eyad's level could most likely play at D2 or better D3's.

thanks, i was definately looking more towards DII than DIII, what do you think my chances are? Also, would some colleges look down at me because i serve and volley? should i change that about my game?

drupha
12-21-2009, 08:49 AM
thanks, i was definately looking more towards DII than DIII, what do you think my chances are? Also, would some colleges look down at me because i serve and volley? should i change that about my game?

How tall are you and how many serves do you average in a match against someone of Eyad's ability? Ideally those numbers will be 6'3 and 10+. S&V games are going by the wayside, because it's easier to hit passing shots with today's tech. If you really want to improve, you might want to consider altering your style unless you have a very menacing serve and are tall enough to make passing shots extremely difficult. The problem with S&V is that your room for growth if not exceptionally tall or with a gifted serve is limited because as you move up the ranks you'll meet more guys who can reliably top spin lob, hit nasty passing shots, and won't be phased by your serve. With a baseline/all court game, you can incrementally improve, but if you S&V, if someone has your serve down, no matter how good of a volleyer you are, you're probably screwed.

Will a coach not recruit you because you S&V? Nope (in most situations). Tennis coaches are all about wins. That being said, if there's two guys of equal ability and one has maxed out his potential at S&V and the other person is an all court guy who has more chances to improve, he'd probably take the other guy.

So essentially, I wouldn't tell you to switch, but S&V can be limiting as far as development goes. I don't see why you wouldn't develop your all court game while picking your spots to charge the net.

As far as colleges go, as has been mentioned by many people, they vary widely. If I were you, I'd look into Tiffin. One of my friends went there and she told me they jumped from NAIA to D2 like a year or two ago. They seem kind of heavy on foreign flavor, so you'd have to be ready to compete. There are some D3 teams that you could start on now, and some like Denison or Kenyon where you'd need to develop to crack the starting roster.

Kick Serve 14
12-22-2009, 09:28 AM
How tall are you and how many serves do you average in a match against someone of Eyad's ability? Ideally those numbers will be 6'3 and 10+. S&V games are going by the wayside, because it's easier to hit passing shots with today's tech. If you really want to improve, you might want to consider altering your style unless you have a very menacing serve and are tall enough to make passing shots extremely difficult. The problem with S&V is that your room for growth if not exceptionally tall or with a gifted serve is limited because as you move up the ranks you'll meet more guys who can reliably top spin lob, hit nasty passing shots, and won't be phased by your serve. With a baseline/all court game, you can incrementally improve, but if you S&V, if someone has your serve down, no matter how good of a volleyer you are, you're probably screwed.

Will a coach not recruit you because you S&V? Nope (in most situations). Tennis coaches are all about wins. That being said, if there's two guys of equal ability and one has maxed out his potential at S&V and the other person is an all court guy who has more chances to improve, he'd probably take the other guy.

So essentially, I wouldn't tell you to switch, but S&V can be limiting as far as development goes. I don't see why you wouldn't develop your all court game while picking your spots to charge the net.

As far as colleges go, as has been mentioned by many people, they vary widely. If I were you, I'd look into Tiffin. One of my friends went there and she told me they jumped from NAIA to D2 like a year or two ago. They seem kind of heavy on foreign flavor, so you'd have to be ready to compete. There are some D3 teams that you could start on now, and some like Denison or Kenyon where you'd need to develop to crack the starting roster.

im only 5'10" however, after playing s&v style, i have gotten used to that style of movement, and i can cover the court from baseline to net in roughly 3 seconds. Also, i have very good reflexes, and when at the net, i am rarely passed. As for my serve, i can easily top 100 on the flat, and my spin serves hover consistently between 80-90, which all have devestating bounces. For my game style, i can play all-court, and im not bad at it, but my first weapon is always s&v, if that doesn't work, i can bash from the baseline, and i can win, its just not my first choice...

drupha
12-22-2009, 09:52 AM
If you're 5'10, you don't have the wingspan to cover the entire court. I'm 5'9/5'10, and was always a doubles specialist because my volleys were excellent, and in high school you played singles and doubles in every match. I had some degree of success playing S&V, but the problem is that you'll inevitably come across the player who can hit the shots and hit the angles, and you'll be toast. Therefore a strict S&V player who doesn't have adequate wingspan to effectively cover a huge area of space has a limited amount of ability to beat someone who can hit the lines and angles. There's also the possibility that you run into the dinker who hits amazing lobs. A good topspin lob can neutralize an S&V game if your serve isn't getting winners consistently.

The fact that your serve is that fast actually is part of the argument against sticking with a S&V game. You won't be able to get more than marginal improvement on a serve already going that fast, so you likely have, or will shortly, plateau and not be able to beat the next level of players above you.

The better question right now is, Why are you losing matches? If you're really going cannon on your serve like that, you should be winning more matches than you appear to have been. Are you prone to double faults? Unforced Errors? Weak backhand? You've been speaking in hyperbole about all of your strengths, but haven't addressed any shortcomings. It's in closing those mental and performance gaps that growing your game will be realized.

advantagetennis1
12-22-2009, 09:59 AM
im only 5'10" however, after playing s&v style, i have gotten used to that style of movement, and i can cover the court from baseline to net in roughly 3 seconds. Also, i have very good reflexes, and when at the net, i am rarely passed. As for my serve, i can easily top 100 on the flat, and my spin serves hover consistently between 80-90, which all have devestating bounces. For my game style, i can play all-court, and im not bad at it, but my first weapon is always s&v, if that doesn't work, i can bash from the baseline, and i can win, its just not my first choice...

bro eyad will struggle with college tennis and your nowhere near beating him. Be realistic. you should be out practicing all day everyday and watching videos online and running and conditioning. you have a long way to go. you struggle with 1400 juniors and lose to them. there are thousands of kids going to college the year you are better then you look at it that way. your serves dont hve devestating bounces..... you cant bash from the baseline and win.... your head needs to shrink a little and you need to realise how competitive tennis is. kids have been playing there whole lives from the the age of 5 with the best coaching traveling week in week out... there are tons of these kids.

johnkidd
12-22-2009, 04:12 PM
advantagetennis....you are sorely mistaken about Eyad Jaara struggling at the college level. If he tries playing at a top 50 DI program...then yeah. But if he looks at a DIII program with academic standards he's looking for, he'll play. Most of the kids who attend MVCDS make their college choices based on academics not athletics. My old doctor's son played #1 there in the mid to late '90's and he ended up not even playing tennis in college, he went to Michigan to be a doctor and played club tennis. But my point is if you select the right program you'll be able to play, you just need to be realistic about your ability and expectations.

As for Kick Serve staying with S&V, I'd ask are you expected to grow anymore? 5' 10" as a sophomore is not bad if you are going to grow another couple inches. But my suggestion is to develop a good all court game. I like to serve and volley as much as anyone (although I play little singles now) but there are times when someone is all over your serve and you're well advised to stay back. Likewise if someone is just bunting back your serve because you are hanging on the baseline, the ability to move forward is beneficial. Just my .02

DownTheLine
12-22-2009, 04:41 PM
I still have a little trouble believing kick serve about his serves. I'm on ad tennis or w.e his name is side. I am a 6'1 sophmore and the strongest on my team by far and my flat bomb goes around 110 at the consistency of 30-40% on a normal day. My slice serves at around 85-93 at about 60-65%. my kick serves are at about 50 so I have a very hard time believing that yours is hovering in the 80s-90s.

Sorry for all the miss spelled words.

Kick Serve 14
12-26-2009, 11:04 PM
advantagetennis....you are sorely mistaken about Eyad Jaara struggling at the college level. If he tries playing at a top 50 DI program...then yeah. But if he looks at a DIII program with academic standards he's looking for, he'll play. Most of the kids who attend MVCDS make their college choices based on academics not athletics. My old doctor's son played #1 there in the mid to late '90's and he ended up not even playing tennis in college, he went to Michigan to be a doctor and played club tennis. But my point is if you select the right program you'll be able to play, you just need to be realistic about your ability and expectations.

As for Kick Serve staying with S&V, I'd ask are you expected to grow anymore? 5' 10" as a sophomore is not bad if you are going to grow another couple inches. But my suggestion is to develop a good all court game. I like to serve and volley as much as anyone (although I play little singles now) but there are times when someone is all over your serve and you're well advised to stay back. Likewise if someone is just bunting back your serve because you are hanging on the baseline, the ability to move forward is beneficial. Just my .02

i am expected to grow more, i should be about 6'1". my baseline game is always improving, and today i played karan and beat him 6-1 6-1 without ever coming up to the net.
It was quite odd because karan was on today. He only hit one second serve the whole match. i simply hit with plenty of spin and didn't try to murder the ball. I made him play my game, and in doing so i won.
Afterwards, eyad came down to the court and we hit for 15 mins. before his match. i played just as well as before, however, none of my tactics worked against him. as of now, i have winning records against every player at my school, except for him...

goran_ace
12-28-2009, 07:05 AM

S&V will help you to get recruited as a doubles specialist. As for singles, unless you S&V exceptionally well (and have the tournament results/rankings to show forth) it will be a liability. Most likely you will be seen as a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type player with a low ceiling.

Kick Serve 14
12-28-2009, 12:29 PM
S&V will help you to get recruited as a doubles specialist. As for singles, unless you S&V exceptionally well (and have the tournament results/rankings to show forth) it will be a liability. Most likely you will be seen as a what-you-see-is-what-you-get type player with a low ceiling.

i am a doubles specialist, but i like to play singles. i supose i have no choice but to improve my baseline game. but thats okay, its another excuse for me to stay on court longer:)

goran_ace
12-28-2009, 01:21 PM
Don't feel like you need to abandon your S&V game to improve as a singles player and camp out on the baselline. It might just be a matter of working on your transition game so you can get to the net a couple different ways.

Kick Serve 14
12-28-2009, 01:30 PM
Don't feel like you need to abandon your S&V game to improve as a singles player and camp out on the baselline. It might just be a matter of working on your transition game so you can get to the net a couple different ways.

im not going to abandon it by anymeans, its my bread and butter... im just gonna work on the baseline for now and see what happens

johnkidd
05-18-2010, 06:55 PM
im not going to abandon it by anymeans, its my bread and butter... im just gonna work on the baseline for now and see what happens

So how has your season gone? What number are you playing