PDA

View Full Version : It doesn't matter what racquet you play

klementine79
07-13-2009, 09:23 PM
It doesn't matter what racquet you play...

By klementine79

It doesn't really matter what racquet you play with-- more likely than not...

you'll start off with one kind and put it away to demo-- and then purchase another kind-- because after-all, the demo money from the local shop goes towards the purchase of a new racquet-- you're hooked...... and the vicious cycle will start--

Then, you'll get interested in modifying your brand new racquet-- it will start off innocent-- a leather grip-- or maybe a smiley face vibration dampener-- then... the heavy stuff-- 1-2grams of lead tape... which grows into globs of 5-10grams-- next thing you know you're in your garage saturday night, with no ventilation-- shoving intoxicating goops of silicone down the shaft of your racquet.. Or maybe you'll destroy your racquet--trying to shave the handle down--custom paintjobs.... anyone?

You'll log onto tennistalk during your lunch break.. instead of commiting infidelity-- reading and participating-- you'll start to buy other brands-- write reviews-- more modifications-- you'll sell racquets just to get another non-demo hit of another-- pretty soon there is a room in your house that no one knows about except you-- filled with several different racquets, grips, strings, lead tape, weights, silicone, vibration dampeners, racquet handle shrink wraps, books, dvd's, wristbands... etc...etc...

Then, on your way to work one morning, you'll see that drug addict on the corner of the street and realize that you have more in common with him than you do with your family....

You'll get sick of yourself and sell everything.... except... that first racquet you bought...

And you will play with that first racquet..... and play well.

AznRamenDude
07-13-2009, 09:28 PM
very well said

ronalditop
07-13-2009, 09:44 PM
that was a good story, and very true BTW.

anoldsock
07-13-2009, 10:41 PM
In any other sport, people will say it's not the equipment you have, but how you use it.

klementine79
07-13-2009, 10:51 PM
In any other sport, people will say it's not the equipment you have, but how you use it.

True to an extent... but try playing lacrosse with a busted cleat or a bent shaft.. Golf with clubs that were fitted for a 6'7 person..

If you can play and play well 95% of the time... good or custom equipment will maybe help you play well 96% of the time... but sports are made-up of inches and split-seconds.. and that 1% can sometimes mean victory or defeat.

Anyway it was satire... just for fun.

anoldsock
07-13-2009, 11:12 PM
I totally agree professional sports comes down to inches and split seconds, just ask michael phelps =)

...but really you're speaking of incorrect or failed equipment. My posting was meant to be in the spirit of your original post, where dissecting the nuances of every racquet might almost be trivial. Especially if you consider that practice, skills, athletic ability and talent makes up the first 95%

btw, you hit the nail right on the head with checking the forums on your lunch break...i might have it a bit worse, I set up an RSS feed so I can check throughout the day o_O

Lefty78
07-14-2009, 04:27 AM
So you're trying to say you tennis addiction is just started?

When you start hunting down some of the frames you've already sold, paying double what you sold them for, cursing yourself for ever parting with your collection, then you know you're in deep.

Funny thread though, and I like the RSS feed idea ^, anoldsock.

ir0-ed
07-14-2009, 04:43 AM
you'll start off with one kind and put it away to demo-- and then purchase another kind-- because after-all, the demo money from the local shop goes towards the purchase of a new racquet-- you're hooked...... and the vicious cycle will start--
I only pay shipping for demos :)

fuzz nation
07-14-2009, 08:07 AM
Okay then, look into your crystal ball and tell me what's in store in my love life.

Actually, the one detail you left out in that room full of stuff was a stringing machine for trying every racquet with three or four different setups/tensions. Yeah, I've had my fun...

anirut
07-14-2009, 07:05 PM
Amen! (10 ch.)