PDA

View Full Version : Strange grip size for my hand size

Team_Volkl
07-14-2009, 04:16 AM
I'm a small guy with very small hands. When I say small hands, I don't mean just generally small, I mean pretty darn small.

When you measure grip size, there are two ways as we all know. Holding the racket and checking the space in between with your index finger and the other way measuring from the first crease in your hand to the top of your finger.

That measurement of my hand done accordingly to the instructions here on TW comes out to just a tad over 3.5 inches.

I was watching a online of a guy taking the same measurement and his came out to 4.25 inches and sure enough, he uses a 4 1/4 grip size.

So according to that measurement of my hand (3.5 inches), they don't even make a grip size that would fit my hand. 4" being the smallest and a junior size.

Here's the weird thing though.

When I started out playing as a junior, I started with a 4 3/8 grip size (didn't even know anything about grip sizes when I was that age). My next racket had a 4 1/4 handle and it actually felt too small to me, so I wrapped a very thick overgrip that somehow made it somewhere in between a 4 3/8 grip and a 4 1/2 grip.

I tried this for a while and did fine, but I could feel that this grip was too big for my hands.

I even played with a friends 4 1/2 and it felt like holding a club, but for some reason the 4 3/8 fits my hand perfectly (even with the index finger spacing measurement thing), but a 4 1/4 feels too small.

--

I was wondering if anyone else out there has a grip size that makes no sense for their hands, whether big or small, or whatever.

Team_Volkl
07-14-2009, 04:18 AM
One more thing:

The only and I mean only thing I can think of is the fact that even though my hands are very small, they are really strong.