PDA

View Full Version : Games to play with young kids 5 - 12yrs

ls206
07-14-2009, 05:04 AM
Hi there,

So I'm helping out with some coaching during school holidays. I'm working with children aged 5 - 12. I need to mix up the games to keep them focused and having fun, does anyone know any good, simple games to play?

Some of them can't hit the ball over the net and only a couple have any directional control.
The main is aim to just let them have fun rather than developing their strokes.

thanks

SethIMcClaine
07-14-2009, 08:01 AM
http://www.tennislessons.com/
This site had a fun way to get kids to pick up balls as a competition. I didnt pay much attention but they probably have some other drills for younger kids on there under the drills section too

chico9166
07-14-2009, 08:12 AM
Buy some foam balls, they are golden for kids that age. Helps the little ones control the contact height and to turn the ball over.

hewittt
07-14-2009, 03:03 PM
I've found the following two games to very effective for kids that age. The first game is for the older kids in your age group and the second if for the younger ones.

Pop-up: The kids start in a line at the baseline or service line. You stand near the net and each kid is fed a ball one at a time to whatever stroke you are working on. If they return the feed in then they go to the end of the line. If they miss they put their racket by the fence and run to the other side of the net behind you. Once on the other side they try to catch the ball either in the air or on one bounce (if this is too easy only allow them to use one hand to catch after the bounce). If they succeed in catching the ball then they switch places with whoever hit it. A kid wins the game if he/she is the only one left in line and hits a shot in that isn't caught. If the last kid misses then the feeder will hit two balls high in the air and whoever gets them gets to go back in line.

Hospital: Kids line up across the net ready to hit a volley. One at a time each kid is fed a volley. If they make it in nothing happens, but if they miss they have to put a hand behind their back. After each kid has gone everyone takes one step back. Then the process is repeated. After you lose an arm you have to stand on one leg, then volley from your knees, and finally volley sitting down before you finally die if you miss from there. Kids stop stepping back after they lose both legs.

ubermeyer
07-14-2009, 06:48 PM
King of the hill: Very simple game that does not get boring (play with 8+ year olds)

One person is on one side, they are the "king." Another is on the other side, the challenger. The challenger gets a forehand feed, that can be hit anywhere on the court. They then play out the point. If the challenger wins that point, they get a backhand feed. They play out the point again. If the challenger wins again, they run to the other side, and get a "point" while the former "king" goes to the challenger side. The next person in line is the new challenger. If the challenger loses either point, they go to the end of the line, and the "king" gets a point. Make kids keep track of points. (8+ year olds)

For even younger kids you could also play this game but it may be tougher because they may forget points or not understand rules.

Nonentity
07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
don't remember what this one's called but I used to play it when i was young:

1. all kids line up by the net post in a single file line.
2. First 2 kids in line run onto each side of the court, with one of the kids getting fed a corner lob that they have to run down to start the point off.
3. once the point is over, the loser has to get off the court and get to the back of the line, and the next person in line runs onto the court which now has opened up to return the corner lob feed.

Sometimes you switch it up, and instead of feeding a corner lob to the kid coming from the line, you can drop shot the kid who has stayed on the court.

ls206
07-15-2009, 04:27 AM
Thanks very much, I'll definitely give those suggestions a try.

Keep 'em coming, you can never have too many games to play!