PDA

View Full Version : Will Fila ever release new rackets?

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 10:21 AM
They are a well known brand in tennis, yet they are barely on the market other than for clothes, will they ever release anything else? (Preferably rackets?)

Kirko
07-14-2009, 11:04 AM
all wood standard size the only pro I know of who used them was Hans Glidemeister from Chile. I think Bill Scanlon used them also, but went back to his kramer auto. well made for sure I looked at them from time to time.

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 11:21 AM
At one point in time i know that Mats Wilander of swedon used them early on, but then he switched to head i believe.

louis netman
07-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Please, no...

Fila had a great image in tennis (and ski) clothing back during the "heydays" of the 70s/early 80s that would be considered "elitist." They went head on with Tacchini and Elesse and had many great endorsement deals, most notably, Bjorn Borg. However, I would have never bought a racket with their name on it...

They really screwed it up when they decided to go mass market and I started seeing their logo on basketball shoes at discount retailers. Then I started to see kids in the hood wearing the brand... But then again that's product life cycle and mass market trickle down theory...

To me (and others who remember) the Fila brand no longer has any real value....basically wouldn't be caught dead wearing it, not even while cleaning out the garage ;-)

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 11:55 AM
really? I think it is a great thing to see such a respectable brand seen in places that 30 years ago would have been taboo.

louis netman
07-14-2009, 12:49 PM
When can we expect to see Rolex and Gucci at Walmart? ;-)

True luxury brands never trickle-down to mass markets...

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
When can we expect to see Rolex and Gucci at Walmart? ;-)

True luxury brands never trickle-down to mass markets...

I beg to differ, explain why car companies know to the masses like toyota and honda also produce luxury cars like lexus and accura? Which oh, by the way are bought by the masses.

ir0-ed
07-14-2009, 01:42 PM
I beg to differ, explain why car companies know to the masses like toyota and honda also produce luxury cars like lexus and accura? Which oh, by the way are bought by the masses.
speaking about cars and people's lifestyle... there is what you call the "exotic" cars which can not be confused with luxury cars. Alot live luxuriously and caters to the luxury class but there is always these few that prefers exotics and exotics are the ones that you rarely see on the streets.

About FILA... I see no good economics on their part to get into tennis again.

Kick Serve 14
07-14-2009, 05:50 PM
Why wouldn't fila want to go back maintstream into the market, they are well respected... people would buy their gear.

Orion
07-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Fila actually sold their North American licensing to a marketing company in Hagerstown, MD in the early-mid 90's. I believe this was after they signed NBA-player Grant Hill to one of the largest endorsement contracts of the 90's. This was their death knoll. The company went belly up and a foreign conglomerate bought the brand several years ago and has done an admirable job of turning them around.

Can't blame them for trying to capture some of the market share that Nike had a death lock on after signing Jordan in the 80's. Their current offerings don't look bad and their shoes are even starting to look OK. They still have some offerings outside of tennis that are a bit suspect, winter boots, casual shoes that are clearly aimed at the pre-teen schoolyard crowd.