PDA

View Full Version : Slice Serve - Name a Pro that hits one of the best Slice Serve?

In D Zone
07-14-2009, 02:26 PM
I think the Slice Serve is one of the most Un-Appreciated serve (hardly anyone talks about it in this forum). Ironically, its one of the serve that almost everyone knows who to use. But are you using the slice serve to your advantage? I knew lefties like this weapon especially on the AD side against a righty!

On the Pro level - Federer, Djoker, Nadal and Hewitt are among the best slice servers I've seen. Serena and Venus on the WTA side. anyone else?

pvaudio
07-14-2009, 02:32 PM
The slice is the serve I hit as little as possible. IMO, it's only effective when you don't hit it very often. A fantastic flat serve into a corner is tough to beat, and a topspin or kick second serve is a lot safer. I consider it to be a 30-0 type of serve, meaning that if I've hit two fantastic flat serves for the first two points, throwing in a slice will catch them off guard.

Recon
07-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I use a slice serve on the Deuce Side (righty) when I'm about to serve and volley.
Reasons
--------
//- Slice to the forehand, while maybe dangerous it is moving out of your contact zone and the safe answer is cross court, by that time i'm in the service line, your off the court, and you'll soon watch a volley skid into the open court (given if I can volley that day!)
Alternate sitch - He/She adapts, Knocks you down the line over the high part of the net with enough power so that your jaw is left on the floor, in which case you say, too good, or in my case, SCREW YOU!(friendly tone of course).
//- If your a base liner and have a good backhand CC or Forehand DTL you can slice the serve, and knock it into the open court with your CC BackHand, Or DTL Forehand. If they get it you just made him/her work hard for one point(this wears on you)
// - Examples -
. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k_gPmcmbnQ -- All started with a slice, and your opponent wont be Nadal, so that backhand CC would have done it.
. Tsonga - 2008 Australian Open is a good example of how a slice serve can be used very effectively.
_All for rightys. For a lefty, its pretty simple -- your opponent is screwed.

darthpwner
07-14-2009, 07:01 PM
McEnroe has the greatest slice serve of all time for the men. Navratilova for the women

counterfeit25
07-14-2009, 08:42 PM
Fernando Gonzalez has a good slice serve on the deuce side, he uses it well to set up his forehand.

obnoxious2
07-14-2009, 08:51 PM
McEnroe has the greatest slice serve of all time for the men. Navratilova for the women

One could argue that Agassi had great slice serves too. IMO he had the most effective slice serves especially on the deuce side. I remember his 2006 US Open run where he was hitting all these aces from the slice serve. Even Federer was having a very difficult time even reaching them

Bud
07-14-2009, 10:21 PM
Venus Williams has a beautiful and effective slice serve.

Andres
07-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Karlovic for rigthy players, Feliciano Lopez for lefty players.

Feli Lopez overall. Sick action, sick pace. Just sick.

Djokovicfan4life
07-15-2009, 12:59 AM
Definitely not the best, but Monfils hits some nasty slice serves at times.

GuyClinch
07-15-2009, 04:01 AM
If you can hit a slice with alot of pace its very effective. But when I do it its mostly spin and not enough pace. When you hit it like that your opened up to some nasty cross court shots..though if you mix it in it still works some.

zapvor
07-15-2009, 06:11 AM
i need to find a youtube of it. my slice serve suckssssss

Nellie
07-15-2009, 06:20 AM
Nadal slices every serve, but I think that Federer has the best slice serve. I would say that he is putting heavy slice on most serves. You notice that he averages something like 115 MPH on first serves, but tops out at 130, and is in the top 5 statistically in serving.

LeeD
07-15-2009, 07:16 AM
Basically, every pro has a great slice serve out wide, both corner T's and up the middle (duece and ad courts).
But it's the effectiveness against the particular returner than counts most.
Effectiveness against one returner.... maybe Ashe vs Connors.
Of course, McEnroe vs anyone he beats.
When Nadal slices/tops out wide to Feds backhand.
Key in sideline serve is to hit wider than the intersect, making the returner step outside the doubles alley to return.
Key in the up the middle slice is to force the returner to play the return 5' on the other side of the center...forcing him to favor one side, the side you push him into.....

Kick Serve 14
07-15-2009, 08:58 AM

I couldn't agree more.

SmAsH999
07-15-2009, 09:10 AM
ivanisevic!!

LeeD
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Really doesn't matter who at the best, as it only matters against the particular opponent.
If your opponent crushes your slice serve to your weakspot, then no matter how good your serve is, it's ineffective.
Choosing who, when, why, and what to do if it comes back is most important.

BU-Tennis
07-16-2009, 12:13 AM
I sat right behind Safin at the Cincy Master's event a few years back and his slice was just awesome. I think people don't realize just how much the pros actually hit across, and not through, the ball on spin serves. On tv every serve sounds pretty much the same because they have directional mics on them, so they all have a nice thud. But sitting right behind Safin you can actually hear the strings squeak when he hits it because of the insane scraping of the ball.