PDA

View Full Version : Racquet Recommendations to Replace an Old School Racquet

lochlainn
07-14-2009, 05:47 PM
I've been away from tennis for a bit and I currently own an old Spalding GC-20 (1982ish) and am looking for a replacement racquet. I've tried a few tweener racquets and found them too light for my tastes because I am used to the weight of the GC-20. I just couldn't generate enough head speed with the lighter racquets to get good depth and spin. I feel like I would have to shorten up my swing a lot and punch the ball more using alot more wrist action than I'm used to. I can't imagine that would be good for my elbow in the long run.

I would like something a bit easier on the wrist though than the GC-20 is on the serve. I just can't snap my wrists like I used to. From what I can tell the specs on the GC-20 are:

weight: 12.5 - 13 oz (likely on the heavier side)
length: 27 inches
stiffness: ??? (though very flexible from what I've learned)
balance: 9pts head light
string pattern: 18x20
size: 85 sq. inches

I'm a 3.5 player and I have a general all-around style and tend to hit the ball flat, but like the ability to generate topspin when needed.

Racquets I'm thinking of demoing are:

ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE
ProKennex Ionic Ki 5
ProKennex Kinetic Pro 7G
Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (18x20)
Babolat Pure Drive Roddick
Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200 (2Hundred)

What 4 should I demo and are there others I should be looking at instead?

Thanks for the help.

anirut
07-14-2009, 06:02 PM
Take look at the PK Redondo Mid (93). You won't go wrong for an old school racket that would suit your style.

BTW, I also have the GC-20. :)

lochlainn
07-15-2009, 04:35 AM
Thanks! Others or ones on my list I shouldn't bother demoing?

jrod
07-15-2009, 04:51 AM
Racquets I'm thinking of demoing are:

ProKennex Ionic Ki 5 PSE
ProKennex Ionic Ki 5
ProKennex Kinetic Pro 7G
Wilson K Factor KSix-One 95 (18x20)
Babolat Pure Drive Roddick
Dunlop Aerogel 4D 200 (2Hundred)

What 4 should I demo and are there others I should be looking at instead?

Thanks for the help.

The PDR is definitely not old school and plays very stiff. The closest thing Babolat makes to an "old school" frame is the Pure Storm Tour. My son uses one and it's a very nice frame. Totally different from the rest of the Babolats.

I can't comment on the Prokennex frames as I've never played them but they are supposed to be quite comfortable.

You might want to try the k90 instead of the k95....slightly heavier and smaller head size (there are some who argue lower level players benefit more from a larger head size...). Also, the KPS88 seems to fit your criteria (I would recommend you don't restrict your search to just 18x20 frames).

You may also want to consider something from the Volkl/Becker line of frames. They have a number of flexible and relatively user friendly line of mids (DNX10, BB11, PB10).