PDA

View Full Version : time between 1st and 2nd serve?

ser_renely
07-14-2009, 06:52 PM
If player has a decent first serve and a dink of a second serve, how much time do I get to reposition between serves? If I stand on the base line for the first and almost at the service box for the second, do I get time to reposition before his second serve?

In general after a first serve flies out, I always feel the need to look where the ball ends up, so its not rolling on the court, or if off the fence so I have a heads up where it is, then take a step forward and getting ready.Should the server wait for me to be ready before the 2nd serve? I don't milk it or anything, just a glance over at the ball, if its rolling hard still watch it for a couple seconds. There is someone I play against who serves a couple seconds after the first serve and I don't feel I have enough time to prepare.

spot
07-14-2009, 08:35 PM
If you aren't ready just put a hand or racket up to indicate you need more time. If you don't even have time to set up then you are definitely in your rights to hold them up a second.

ser_renely
07-15-2009, 05:48 PM
Yeah, but he is already in a windup, so doesn't do anything.

spot
07-15-2009, 05:59 PM
put your hand up earlier then

jefferson
07-15-2009, 06:02 PM
talk to him about it! let him know you need a few more seconds to get into position before he serves the second serve. "Dude can you give me nore time between serves?"
Or if all else fails... turn your back and adjust you strings.

ser_renely
07-15-2009, 06:23 PM
well, I think the issue is he thinks I have to be ready for him, he thinks he dictates and should be able to immediately hit his second serve...I disagree. Thats why I am not sure who's right.

JavierLW
07-15-2009, 06:50 PM
well, I think the issue is he thinks I have to be ready for him, he thinks he dictates and should be able to immediately hit his second serve...I disagree. Thats why I am not sure who's right.

It's kind of a judgement call.

You have to move at his pace, but he cant serve until you are ready.

There is a reasonable amount of time that you should get to reposition yourself.

If they continue to quick serve you, then just turn around and face away from them after the first serve. If they dont like it then tell them to stop quick serving you then.

ser_renely
07-15-2009, 06:59 PM
how much time would you say is normal or average between serves in a club matches?

jefferson
07-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I would say 10 seconds. grab the ball bounce it a few times and go

[d]ragon
07-16-2009, 11:48 PM
If you feel he's not giving you enough time and you don't have time to tell him (he's already going through his motion), then let him serve and make no move to return it, then tell him you weren't ready and he should wait abit between serves. If you make a move to return it though, it counts as you being ready.

NLBwell
07-17-2009, 09:33 PM
Once again, this is supposed to be a gentleman's (or gentlewoman's) game with good sportsmanship. If he is intentionally serving before you are ready that is bad sportsmanship. You certainly should clear any balls that could pose a problem and have a right to get in proper position. Delaying his serve unreasonably would also be unsportsmanlike, but from your description this doesn't seem to be the case.

bluescreen
07-19-2009, 10:57 AM
Yeah, but he is already in a windup, so doesn't do anything.

this doesnt matter. i played a guy in my last tournament that had a huge first and second serve and i wanted to move back a little for the second serve to take a bigger swing.

even though he took a couple seconds between serves, sometimes he didnt look up to see if i was ready. on some points, he wouldnt see my hand up and would serve anyway. i just yelled a let during his motion and stopped the point. he had no problem with it.