PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Pure Storm vs Wilson K95

TennisKeen
07-15-2009, 02:26 AM
Ok, so I was hitting with a friend yesterday evening and we switched racquets for five minutes...

I play with a wilson k95 (18x20) with pro hurricane on the mains (62lbs) and prince duraflex on the crosses (60lbs)...

He uses a babolat pure storm (the normal 295g one not the tour) with 5grams of lead at both 3 and 9 o'clock he uses big ace on the mains at 60 and prince duraflex on the crosses at 59.

Anyway I picked up his racquet and started hitting a few groundies, I could not believe how much power and spin I was generating, I could hardly generate three quarters of that with my wilson swinging at full belt. The stability and feel of the purestorm was incredible it was like no other racquet I have ever played with. The only advantage I felt my wilson had over the purestorm was the serve... the purestorm felt sluggish on the serve and I wasn't generating much power.

Does anyone want to enligten me on why the purestorm seemed in a different league from my k95? Was it that the string pattern is 16x19, or that there difference in balance or weight?

KuanMaster
07-15-2009, 05:37 AM
the purestorm has a bigger headsize and the 16*19 stringpattern

masterjoe
07-15-2009, 06:42 AM
I think it's a matter of head speed :

i'd say the K95 is perhaps too hefty for you, since it's around 335 grams i think, and the pure storm standard is 295 grams.
unless your friend used the entire lead tape roll, there is still a big difference.

The balance is also really different (a pure storm with lead is close to even balance; a K95 is 9 points HL if I remember)...

All in all, I would say if you really USE the racquet's mass then the K95 is much more powerful; at the opposite, if the mass is only for control to you, then a pure storm is mor efficient because you automatically generate more head speed.

Personally I used a PS95 classic and a HPS 95 (almost same frames) for many years, but I finally switched to a Ksix-one team. No doubt I lost some power at full speed but my average firepower is far better (specifically in defense...) because it's easier to swing when you are a little late.
It's almost the same specs as the pure storm with a denser string pattern. If you like Wilsons racquets, give it a try!
And don't bother: it's a very serious frame.

TennisKeen
07-15-2009, 08:03 AM
The six one team was my old racquet and although it has great control I feel that I've grown out of it and can generate a ton more power with the heavier and slightly stiffer K95. The purestorm seems to be somewhere in between the two. I might try putting some lead on my K95 at 3 and 9 because I'm not a big fan of HL racquets.

Just to give you an idea, I'm 15, 5"11, 58kgs and am hitting most of my first serves between 90-105.