PDA

View Full Version : Ready to "graduate?"

Rhinosaur
07-15-2009, 06:23 AM
I just recently got back into tennis after a very long (10 years) break. I pretty much had to start over from scratch. After a couple of months of playing about 3-4 times a week (sometimes just serving), I've felt my game coming back.

That being said, I'm wondering if I'm outgrowing my racquet. I currently use a Prince Speedport Silver (118-sq. in., very light, very powerful). I'm beginning to think some of my time learning how to play again was actually time spent on getting used to taming the power of this racquet.

I use Babolat Touch NG strung super tight to negate some of that power. I use a heavy slice backhand (will whip out the two-handed backhand against poor second serves now and then), and have little spin on my forehand and serves.

I would guess I'm somewhere around 3.0-3.5 now. My swings are not as punchy as they were, so do any of you have recommendations on what racquet to possibly advance to?

tigerstring
08-07-2009, 05:45 AM
Try something with a head around 100 square inches and a 10 oz. weight. Just demo some and see how they effect you game. I think TW still has the Wilson Kcourts on sale for around $100.

a-naik.1
08-07-2009, 06:06 AM
A great place to start would be the Head LM MP. Great racquet, great price.

Bud
08-07-2009, 07:26 AM
A great place to start would be the Head LM MP. Great racquet, great price.

Agreed. Plus when you start to outgrow the weight (if you find it too light)... you can slap a couple fishing weights in the butt cap and place some lead at 3/9.

The LM Radical is one of the best and most versatile racquets available, IMO.

tigerstring
08-07-2009, 04:35 PM
I agree how versatile it is. Iíve seen so many different players with different styles and levels use it. The more I think about it the more remarkable it is. Itís the only frame with that tight of a string pattern and that small of a head that can be used by so many. Worth a demo for sure

Edward DFW
08-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Agreed. Plus when you start to outgrow the weight (if you find it too light)... you can slap a couple fishing weights in the butt cap and place some lead at 3/9.

The LM Radical is one of the best and most versatile racquets available, IMO.

to go from a large fram to one that small might be tough especially when you hit a slice bh the majority of the time... thats just my opinion... i own the lm rad mp (accidentally ordered it) and the os (bought off **** 1 grip size smaller than I play now... at the time it was equal to what I played but the grip felt a lot smaller)... from the reviews they aren't that much different in power and spin... I would try the OS before the MP if I was coming from that large of a frame.

I only hit with my MP once at an open drill and my forehand was nice when I hit the sweetspot and my serve was good with it too but I really sucked with my slice bh... maybe thats just my issue or it was a bad night.... either way, it was bad enough to where I have not hit with it again.

My current frame is a TT Warrior OS... I liked it enough to buy 4 of them but lately I am thinking of throwing a heat sleeve or 2 and some fresh strings on my OS lm rad and giving it a try again. I loved it when I hit with it a long time ago for a short period of time.