PDA

View Full Version : Question for players with sw-fh & eastern-ohbh

baris_NY
07-15-2009, 06:56 AM
I was wondering your preferred grip in ready position and the way you move/rotate back and forth from your forehand and backhand.

I nowadays prefer to hold semi-western in ready position and rotate clockwise 1 bevel and use the same face of the racquet to hit ohbh with eastern grip. Bachkhand-forehand transition is again the similar with a one bevel on the way back from my backhand grip.

I was just wondering what is generally used, or whether this is considered unorthodox or bad since you have to change the takeback grip by 180 degrees on the throat with the non-dominant hand (still I think I'm able to switch from ready to eastern bh with racquet taken back, quicker this way)

Any opinions are very much appreciated

coyfish
07-15-2009, 07:17 AM
Well awaiting serve I usually hold my racket in my eastern forehand grip but with my left hand ready to move it over to eastern backhand for my ohbh.

Djokovicfan4life
07-15-2009, 07:26 AM
I like to wait in the continental grip. It's more natural for me to change to the forehand grip, so I want my grip to be closer to the backhand grip. And if I need to slice or block the ball I'm already in the preferred grip.

SupremeV
07-15-2009, 07:38 AM
I believe there was a similar post a while ago. There was no "real" general consensus because it comes all to personal preference. The thing is when you are returning the ball, you should not be worried about how you are griping or how you are going to turn the raquet, because all your focus should be on the serve and the ball.
If you really want to make it complicated, you can change the ready position grip based on situation and opponent patterns. Backhand/slice grip if the first serve is picking on your backhand or Forehand grip for a second serve etc.
So really, just determine what has been working well for YOU, and what comes natural. There are no unorthodox methods as long as it works for you.

fuzz nation
07-15-2009, 09:42 AM
Sounds like you've got a formula that gives you good economy of motion - you barely need to move when setting your grip. If it ain't broken, no need to fix it I'd say.

Something that I enjoy doing in a rally is keeping the same grip until a different ball comes to me. If an opponent and I are hitting cross-court 1hbh's to each other, I feel more confident if my hand is in the same spot for the next stroke as the previous one that I hit well.

I don't mind returning to a "neutral" grip though, because I often slice when I need to on either side. My neutral grip is continental so I'm always in a default "ready grip" that way and can still make the quick change if I go for a topspin stroke on either wing. I've thought about your style of grip change and need to remember to try it when I'm on the grinder with a hitting partner.

larry10s
07-15-2009, 09:58 AM
I like to wait in the continental grip. It's more natural for me to change to the forehand grip, so I want my grip to be closer to the backhand grip. And if I need to slice or block the ball I'm already in the preferred grip. i do the same

LuckyR
07-15-2009, 10:00 AM
Explaining this concept is similar IMO to explaining to an automatic tranmission-only driver, how you know which gear the manual is in without looking at the stickshift (or even thinking about it). If you are having to think about what grip you have then you are going to play poorly that day.

Folks who change grips just "know" what grip they are using at the moment and switch without thinking about it to whichever grip they need for whatever shot they are going to hit, be it a hooking squash shot a forehand volley, overhead or dropper.

Noisy Ninja
07-15-2009, 11:45 AM
I typically use the continental grip when in the ready position. A quick twist of the racket incorporated while performing the tackeback quickly gets me to either the extreme easter backhand or semi western forehand grip(s).
When facing a strong serve, the continental grip allows for a compact block/slice return off either wing with ease.
Most importantly, the fact that I also use the continental grip for slices, volleys, dropshots, and overheads make that grip most natural when I'm readying or split-stepping.
It all comes down to personal preference but for me...the continental is particularly versatile during those times when I don't have time to perform a full takeback & swing.

marosmith
07-15-2009, 07:51 PM
continental

aimr75
07-15-2009, 08:03 PM
I nowadays prefer to hold semi-western in ready position and rotate clockwise 1 bevel and use the same face of the racquet to hit ohbh with eastern grip. Bachkhand-forehand transition is again the similar with a one bevel on the way back from my backhand grip.

interesting you use the same face of the racquet.. i think most people dont do this.. i think there was a thread about it