PDA

View Full Version : ****--where do these guys get new racquets that they can be sold under retail?

Morpheus
03-28-2005, 05:20 PM
I've been watching some rackets go at 30% under retail and was wondering if these rackets were ripped off or just excess inventory. Anyone know what the deal is?

scez
03-28-2005, 05:31 PM
Well, the person I bought form was actually a store that is 20 minute drive away from me. If you were to go into there store they would sell the raquet for full price, but they have a little side buisness where they sell racquets on **** for some extra cash but cheaper. So they hope to sell the racquets to americans, and that canadians would buy it from them at retail price. I saved $50 on the racquet :D and didnt even have to get it shipped.

Morpheus
03-28-2005, 05:56 PM
So its the weak US dollar that's allowing Canadian retailers to discount or are they just taking less margin and playing to a different audience? How do your local racquet prices compare to those in the US or at TW?

raftermania
03-28-2005, 09:37 PM
Well, the person I bought form was actually a store that is 20 minute drive away from me. If you were to go into there store they would sell the raquet for full price, but they have a little side buisness where they sell racquets on **** for some extra cash but cheaper. So they hope to sell the racquets to americans, and that canadians would buy it from them at retail price. I saved $50 on the racquet :D and didnt even have to get it shipped.

Let me guess, racketguy?

AndrewD
03-29-2005, 03:01 AM
Of course there is also the fact that a lot of the guys on **** dont operate out of a shop so they have less overheads. They can then afford to sell for a lower price. If they only make 50 dollars on every frame they sell then they can still make a pretty tidy profit because they dont need to pay for shop rental, utilities or staff. Its not unlike the airline companies who charge less if you book on-line.
In quite a few instances its not a case of 'how can they sell for so much less' but 'how can they charge so much more'.

154Ace
03-29-2005, 04:19 AM
I bought a brand new Babolat NCT Tour racquet on **** for $74. It is a $200 racquet on TW. I buy all my racquets on ****,its the way to go.

Richie Rich
03-29-2005, 04:47 AM
many are stores getting rid of inventory, or who have bought close outs from racquet companies when a frame is going to be discontinued (LM Radical for example).

In reference to Cdn guys selling on ****, the cost structure for retail is different in Canada than the US. Cdn wholesale tennis equipment prices are cheaper than US. The exchange rate also has something to do with it. This allows most Cdn sellers to sell a little cheaper and still make a profit.

just watch out for the guys selling from CHina or Hong Kong. Not saying they are fakes or anything but your risk is a lot higher and recourse a lot lower than buying from someone in North America.

Fatmike
03-29-2005, 04:48 AM
Let me guess, racketguy?

I bought a racquet from him

great deal, I pay 185$ (strunged) (CAN) with S&H and taxes for a racquet that was retail 200$ (unstrunged)... would have cost 260 with taxes and strings