PDA

View Full Version : What does mean when a tournament is "designated"

Oldracquet27
07-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Also, i want to play a tournament in my area. I think i will be playing my level. Tell me about your experiences in tournaments . My level is 3.0. Do you feel skills where similar, or did you play people obviously better than what they said.

Thanks

Casey10s
07-15-2009, 01:09 PM
I believe a 'designated' tournament is a required tournament for ranking purposes.

conditionZero
07-15-2009, 01:15 PM
Also, i want to play a tournament in my area. I think i will be playing my level. Tell me about your experiences in tournaments . My level is 3.0. Do you feel skills where similar, or did you play people obviously better than what they said.

Thanks

I don't know what a "designated tournament is", but in reference to part II:

In my limited experience the skill level varied widely. In my last tournament the same guy won the 3.0 singles and the 3.5 singles. His record showed that in the tournaments leading up to that he rolled over all of his 3.0 competition.

I don't mean to imply that he was sandbagging. There's a big difference between the lower 3.0's and the top 3.0's. He may have improved a lot in the last year or so and just hasn't been moved up yet. Plus it was a pretty small tournament and maybe the 3.5 competition was weak.

Jim A
07-15-2009, 08:15 PM
typically Designated tournaments at the NTRP level carry a greater weight in points and to draw larger, more competitive fields

In Intermountain, a Level 1/Designated has 220 points for the winner (plus bonus points) while a Level 2 has 165 + bonus

Also if the 3.0 you talk about is B or C rated he cannot be bumped until the end of the year, also some districts don't put tournament results into the computer for rating purposes until after the national championships..ie. according to Intermountain-CO my matches will go into a district ranking..but they won't effect my Self Rated level of play until after the Nationals this year..(this per the recent Colorado Tennis mag) ..however they do recalculate after all matches through the districts for league play, so I could theoretically (however low) get DQ'd if I were to roll over my opponents @ districts in a couple weeks

3.0 is a crapshoot, so many people come and go from the tournament landscape that its a true guessing game as to who can come out on top..one of the guys in my draw, the #4 seed got bounced in 3.0 but then went out and won his 3.5 by an 0 and 3 score..I'm sure before my matches..no one knew who I was and expected an easy match because I don't have much in tennislink to go off of