PDA

View Full Version : KBlade 98 vs KBlade tour

schap02
07-15-2009, 11:32 AM
Anyone care to share some insight on the difference in playability between these two sticks?

dr325i
07-15-2009, 12:19 PM
Anyone care to share some insight on the difference in playability between these two sticks?

Totally different sticks:
- small head (small sweet spot) vs. larger sweet spot
- very tight string bed, super control, vs. more relaxed string pattern
- very HL vs. less HL

THe KBT is very much control oriented stick, low powered. For some reason, I always felt like hitting flatter playing with the KBT. Serves are great, volleys are very comfortable.

The KB98 feels different, and has a great blend of control and power (more power than the KBT). Serves were good, but the second serve kick was the best kick serve I ever had. It is a comfortable stick and has room (weight) for customization. Also, very easy access to spin, especially 2HBH spin.

Also, TW has great reviews on both sticks.

bertrevert
07-15-2009, 06:04 PM
Totally different sticks:
- small head (small sweet spot) vs. larger sweet spot
- very tight string bed, super control, vs. more relaxed string pattern
- very HL vs. less HL

THe KBT is very much control oriented stick, low powered. For some reason, I always felt like hitting flatter playing with the KBT. Serves are great, volleys are very comfortable.

The KB98 feels different, and has a great blend of control and power (more power than the KBT). Serves were good, but the second serve kick was the best kick serve I ever had. It is a comfortable stick and has room (weight) for customization. Also, very easy access to spin, especially 2HBH spin.

Also, TW has great reviews on both sticks.

+1 on all the above!

You really must demo these if poss as they are very different. I guess it's not as bad as chalk and cheese but pretty close. I mean I sought out both these racq seeking to tweak my game and add soemthing. I found the KB98 great but just didn't give me enough on serve, and the KBT great on serve, (a little demanding), but just too totally demanding on groundies.

I fall somewhere in between and in fact swapped in one match between the two!

At the start of the doubles, while energised I used the KBT, and then as I tired, got otu the KB98 and my groundies picked up. Bizarre huh.

schap02
07-16-2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the replies -I'm currently in the 98 and actually really like it - just trying to find the right string combination - I can imagine the KBT has significantly less power - Probably need to demo it...

dr325i
07-16-2009, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the replies -I'm currently in the 98 and actually really like it - just trying to find the right string combination - I can imagine the KBT has significantly less power - Probably need to demo it...

I used the hybrids on it and loved it: Gamma Professional 17g in the crosses at 58 lbs and Black Code 17g at 55 lbs.

klementine79
07-16-2009, 08:04 AM
I owned two kblade98's and modified them to the specs of the kblade tour.

My kblade98's came in at 10.9oz. and 11oz.

I crammed two 7gram non-lead fishing weights into the foam under the cap and epoxied them...

Then 2grams at 12o'clock, 1gram at 3o'clock and 1gram at 9o'clock

All this roughly added .6oz.

Then a leather grip and and an overgrip..

Outcome was 24grams extra or .8oz

The two kblade98's weighed in at 11.8 and 11.7oz. both being 8pts.HL..

The only difference was the swingweight.. which was in the upper 330's to lower 340's...

Played great and very powerful... great for first serves.

Sold them however after a long stint-- I realized that flex and weight distribution were the underlying factors in choosing a racquet for my game.

klementine79
07-16-2009, 09:13 AM
BTW- All lead was under the bumper and grommets (even at 3 and 9 ).

As far as how my modified kblade98's compared with the Kblade tour, I demo'd the KBT before purchasing these kblade98's and if I can recollect...

SPIN-The KBT was not too accommodating when it came to spin-- my modded Kblades outshined the KBT in this category.

SERVES- Modded KB's blew the KBT out of the water both in flat and kick serves.

GROUNDSTROKES- Modded KB's only played better than the KBT in terms of forehands-- more forgiving and easier topspin production-- also slice backhands were deep and 'spinny'- almost effortless. The stock KBT felt way more natural with my two-handed backhand-- I couldn't miss.

VOLLEYS/TOUCH SHOTS- Stock KBT was better at slicing the drop shot-- but that is the only aspect in which my modded KB's didn't feel as natural. Volleys, overhead and punch, were much more powerful and easier to execute, due the larger headsize. As well as lobs.

RETURNS- Modded KB's much more forgiving and pwerful even with a half-swing.

All in all-- my modded KB's had much more power, spin potential and were a ton more forgiving when in heavy exchanges at high swing speeds, allowing for more pace, spin and depth. There were only two aspects in which the stock KBT felt more natural and therefore performed better than my modded KB's-- the 2HBH and slice drop shots.

powerslave
07-16-2009, 09:48 AM
I demo'd the KBT; looks and feel wise it did feel like a vintage racket (probably due to predominantly a black PJ); the head size was pretty good for I like MS or even 90sqcm head sizes. However the shape of the head was a bit odd it feels heavier than the K six one 95 (16*18) at least when it comes to playing (even though it weighs at 11.7oz). I found stick good for serving and vollying however 1HBH was a disappointment the head shape/weight distribution made it awkward for me to make a clean swing . Finally I do not like 18*20 string pattern in MS frames infact I would love to see Wilson six 95/team series in 16*19 models.Volkl to me did a better job in this regards.