PDA

View Full Version : racquet easy on the arm - suggestions?

heninfan
07-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I've developed tennis elbow in the last couple years and am looking for a racquet that's easy on the arm or at least will not further aggravate the problem. I'm currently using an old Wilson Staff Comp (95" head), head light, not sure of weight (maybe 11 oz.) and stiffness, and 4 1/8 grip (I measure a 4.). It was purchased in 1989. Strings are Wilson Sensation at about 55lbs. tension, I think. I play mostly singles and from the baseline with flat strokes in a 3.5 women's league. I'm looking for a racquet with a combination of power and control. Also looking to hit more volleys comfortably.

So far, I demoed racquets that are 11.3oz or less, mid-plus (100 in.), head light, 64-67 stiffness -- e.g., Prince 03 Speedport White, Prince 03 White, Prince 03 Hybrid Shark, and Wilson KBlade 98 K Factor. I liked the dampened feel of the Prince racquets though I seemed to have less control on the forehand than I'm used to. The Prince 03 Speedport was nice on the two-handed backhand side and for volleying. Apparently, this racquet is being phased out.

Suggestions for frames and strings?

Infl8edEg0
07-15-2009, 12:40 PM
For frames, the Prokennex Kinetic and Ionic series are among the most arm-friendliest rackets you'll find. I liked the Kinetic 5g and Ionic KI5 the best. I can't really remember how they played though, it was awhile ago. As for strings, I would suggest any multi or natural gut. Try X-1 Biphase, NRG 2, or Isospeed Professional.

If you look for other options for frames, search for some fairly hefty frames that are flexy.

ak47m
07-15-2009, 12:40 PM
Ever think about ProKennex and their Ionic Beads? It really does work, you just have to adjust to the sound of the beads. This is a little heavier, but it shouldn't be too much of a problem with the headlight balance.

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCPK-KI5.html

and use a soft synthetic gut string like Gosen OG Sheep Micro. It's also very cheap.

Jsa2u
07-15-2009, 12:41 PM
go with a volkl. GOt rid of my TE.

ak47m
07-15-2009, 12:42 PM
For frames, the Prokennex Kinetic and Ionic series are among the most arm-friendliest rackets you'll find. I liked the Kinetic 5g and Ionic KI5 the best. I can't really remember how they played though, it was awhile ago. As for strings, I would suggest any multi or natural gut. Try X-1 Biphase, NRG 2, or Isospeed Professional.

If you look for other options for frames, search for some fairly hefty frames that are flexy.

Bah, I was beat to the punch. Those strings also work if cost is not a problem for you.

saeta119
07-15-2009, 12:52 PM
my wife uses the Wilson K Six two, pretty light and easy on the arm.

I used to have tennis elbow with older Head Radicals, but for about 5 years I've been using the Liquidmetal Radical OS and I've gotten zero problems.

good luck!

RalphNYC
07-15-2009, 01:59 PM
Monster thread on the ProKennex Redondo. I just got it and like it so far. But haven't used it long enough to comment on how my arm feels.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=102323

tennislvr135
07-15-2009, 02:10 PM
babolat pure storm tour.... very soft on the arm

Tennis16
07-15-2009, 04:12 PM
I would really focus more on the strings then the racket. Try a very soft multi such as Prince Premier softflex 17. Tecnifibre NRG2 17, or Wilson NXT Tour 17.
Also, if you can try to string on the lower side of the recommended tension that would probably help. Good luck.

Kevo
07-15-2009, 08:53 PM
My guess is that you don't break strings very often. If that's the case, find a gut string you like and use that. You may need an adjustment period to get used to the different power level and feel, but it would probably be well worth it.

I've strung gut up to 65lbs. on a mid sized frame and it still feels softer at impact than pretty much anything else.

The other option would be to use a 17 gauge sensation, but that might actually break fast enough for you that the gut would be cheaper over time. However, it might be worth trying the 17g sensation once just to see how much a really soft string makes a difference for you. There is a noticeable difference to me between the 16g and the 17g, but the 17g only lasted me about 90 minutes of match play.

movdqa
07-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Wilson Sensation is a pretty soft string.

The PK Redondo probably isn't a good candidate as you need fairly advanced stroke production to use it and it would probably be underpowered (and heavier than requested).