PDA

View Full Version : Loving the Donnay Pro One Oversize

tribunal4555
07-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Man, what a frame. I owned one of these a while back, and sold it because it was gathering dust in my tennis closet. I just got the new version, and $99.99? What a steal! My old friend has come back to me, immediately increasing my spin twofold with his gigantic hitting surface. His player's racquet type control goes well with the ample power there is to be found. Returns are a whole 'nother game: with the large headsize and plenty of heft, it's easy to take the offensive. I feel so much more like Agassi with this frame. It plays like an oversize but still provides incredible control, buttery feel, and comfort beyond compare. Anyone else enjoy this frame as much as I do, or have a similar experience with another frame?

Bengt
07-15-2009, 04:46 PM
You serve and volley with an OS? Cool

hyogen
07-15-2009, 04:50 PM
how do you compare it to the Head Radical OS bumblebee? (trisys 260).

I've tried both the remake china version and a made in austria one...and liked it...but not the best for serves for me. Kinda felt not very maneuverable, either...

i'll have to check up on the pro one specs.

how does this remake compare to your ORIGINAL pro one?

tribunal4555
07-15-2009, 05:11 PM
It's got everything I loved about the original.. the only thing I dislike is the paintjob- hasn't grown on me yet.

kanjii
07-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Are you speaking of the yellow and blue version or the orange and grey?

tribunal4555
07-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Orange. 10 char

Al Czervik
07-31-2009, 05:58 PM
Trib, how are the grommets holding up? I bought three of these when our friends rereleased it and was disappointed. The grommets on all three were all banged up after the initial string job. After six months, I bet my local stringer wouldn't even touch them because the grommets would be so jagged. So I returned them. Let me know. I'd like to pick up a couple of these if they are serviceable for a few years.

vandre
07-31-2009, 06:09 PM
i LOVE returning serve with this frame!!! last time i did, i was playing a serve and volleyer who kept serving to my backhand and coming in behind it. i put 4-5 returns up the sideline and while he got his racquet on most of them, he got none of them in play. its also easy to push ppl off of the baseline with this racquet. my opponent was about 4 ft behind the baseline all night. awesomeness. the only thing that would make this frame better was if it was yellow/blue. DO YOU HEAR ME TW??????????????????

i also added a skosh or lead to the top of the hoop. it really helps on serves.

Orion
07-31-2009, 08:52 PM
i LOVE returning serve with this frame!!! last time i did, i was playing a serve and volleyer who kept serving to my backhand and coming in behind it. i put 4-5 returns up the sideline and while he got his racquet on most of them, he got none of them in play. its also easy to push ppl off of the baseline with this racquet. my opponent was about 4 ft behind the baseline all night. awesomeness. the only thing that would make this frame better was if it was yellow/blue. DO YOU HEAR ME TW??????????????????

i also added a skosh or lead to the top of the hoop. it really helps on serves.

The Pro One OS is the *hit!! Return of serve is awesome. My only gripe is the it flexes a little too much returning mid-paced serves with kick. I did a tweak last night I hope works.

I asked TW a few weeks ago if they had plans on bringing out the blue/yellow paintjob...the answer was a resounding No to my dismay. I added 3g of lead at 10 & 2. I added another gram to each side under the grommet cap last night. I hit with it on the ball machine today and it felt like it solved my torsional stability issue. I was thinking I was gonna lose a little on my serve but it felt more solid. It weighed 12.4 ounces strung with BC mains/ Head UltraTour crosses, Babolat Head Tape, rubber band dampener and a Babolat overgrip.

Surprisingly, the frame felt better volleying with the additional weight. It's just SOLID from the baseline.

I'm wondering how long it will be before TW drops the prices and it officially goes clearance. Even now, the $89.99/each price for buying 2 or more is sweet.

EZV
08-04-2009, 07:31 AM
have the grommet issues have been resolved with these?

Power Player
08-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Just got mine in today. I wanted a soft, classic control frame that I could pair with my APDCs. I will hopefully hit tonight and post impressions tomorrow.

NoNameZ
08-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Power Player, you are going to be impressed! It's unlike anything you've hit with before (unless you've hit with the original...).

hyogen: It has a much lower SW than the 260, but all the heft, and a thinner beam. IMO the Pro One was a bit more loopy with the same swing, but that's just me. The 260 is more of my type.

AndrewD
08-27-2009, 01:12 PM
Just got mine in today. I wanted a soft, classic control frame that I could pair with my APDCs. I will hopefully hit tonight and post impressions tomorrow.

Please do. Now that the POG OS is permanently unavailable (discontinued) I need to look at alternatives. Perhaps, if you've ever used the POG OS, you could draw some comparisons between it and the Donnay.

Power Player
08-27-2009, 09:03 PM
Ok..I hit with it for 3hours straight. This was the first night I had used it, so I'm still honeymooning.

For me personally, this is an ideal racquet. I never even switched to my apdcs. I demo a lot of racquets because I still have time in the demo club and I always go back to my apdcs after a while...every time.

I will never get rid of the babs, but I will probably buy more of the Donnays in a week or two. I need to be realistic because you can not know a racquet in 3 hours. But it is looking good.

Groundstrokes are very precise. I could really hit out. Honestly, if you are into the Pure Drive type of racquet with power, you will not like this racquet at all. You need to be a heavy hitter with a lot of energy or you will be tired out. The racquet feels quite light for 12.1 and the weight was not an issue at all for me. I definitley hit heavy balls with a ton of spin, and I do not have poly in yet.

A problem I have with the APDCs is touch shots. I can't really hit the reverse forehands well or the lobs. They go long and I barely swing. With this racquet's low power and control, I could do both quite well.

I had a few people actually come over and compliment my strokes..lol. I was hitting real clean today. I have played with the Head Radical OS, and while that racquet was nice, this is far superior for me. I love the thin beam and the low power.

Serves are good..I really didnt serve too much, but I hit them just as hard as with the Babs, so no problems there.

Its just a really soft frame and definitley is unique. Honestly, I can see how a lot of players would not like it. They would hate the paint job (yes I took heat for it from my conservative hitting buddies, but the younger players loved it). Personally, I don't care that much about a PJ and I like the fact that it's different. They may hate that there is no power or real loud crack when you hit unless you hit out. I personally love that too, you have to really earn it. I needed something with more control and less power, but still with a lot of spin. To have these Donnays and the Apdcs in the bags for me pretty much is the best of both worlds.

I definitley played better today, hit harder and more accurate, but lets see if it continues.

NoNameZ
08-27-2009, 09:07 PM
I'm sure that lasts past the usual honeymoon period. It did for me, but I did the opposite and liked the 260 OS more, and I stuck with that.

Power Player
08-27-2009, 09:21 PM
How do you string yours? Mine came with Isospeed energetic plus at 59#. It feels amazing, but I can tell it will break soon. I am more of a poly guy. Just wondering what tension you would go on these with Poly. I have tons of control at 59#, but I am unfamiliar with the string, so maybe that has to do with it too?

Orion
08-27-2009, 09:46 PM
I strung mine 58/62.

NoNameZ
08-27-2009, 09:57 PM
I think mine came with weisscannon strings, didn't have a name printed, but they were strung around 60, and those felt great. I think the racket plays better with a stiffer stringbed.