PDA

View Full Version : Solid or Disconnected feel of Gamma, RQiS, and AeroStorm?

TripleB
07-15-2009, 01:52 PM
My doctor said I could head back out to the tennis courts after only 4 weeks since my double hernia surgery :cool:. So now I'm in full 'find 4 demos' mode.

After some hitting against the wall today with several racquets, Pure Drive Roddick, RDX-500 Midplus, and LM Radical Midplus, I noticed that there is a distinct feel difference between the Babolat and the other two.

The PD Roddick almost has this feel like the strings are 'disconnected' from the racquet...which seems to offer very little touch. From what I remember, some of the Prince O Port racquets have them same feel (but to a lesser extent).

The new Pure Drive GT was in my demo list but if it has the same disconnected feel (maybe it's the way the Woofer system is supposed to feel or the stiffness of the racquet), then I need to remove it.

There is just something about the feel of the RDX-500 MP and the LM Radical that makes you feel like to can place the ball anywhere and know exactly where it's going. Love that solid feel.

What I'm wondering is which of the following racquets (that you've tried) do you feel have that 'disconnected' feel similar to the Pure Drives (and AeroPro Drives) and which have that super solid (offering amazing touch) feel:

Babolat Aero Storm Light
Gamma Tour 320X
Gamma T-7
Tecnifibre TFight 295 VO2
Yonex RQiS 1 Tour XL
Head MicroGel Radical Pro

Thanks for any and all opinions you can give me.

TripleB

ak47m
07-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Yeah the APDC and PureDrives felt very alien to me, they have a unique feeling that I didn't really like that much. I also like the LM Radical, it has that classic feel to it when I leaded it up.

Never tried the RQiS 1 Tour XL, but I have tried the Yonex RDS 002, very solid racquet overall. The MicroGel Radical Pro is also a good choice.

TennisandMusic
07-15-2009, 02:21 PM
What kind of a game do you play? I hit with the APDC and PDRGT and I know exactly where the ball is going when I hit it. But I know what you mean with it feeling "different" and I suppose it's not for everyone. It is certainly far from a "classic" style feel.

What have you liked in the past? Your potential demo list seems to vary a bit, and I've tried almost everything out there, so if you can say what you liked I might be able to help out a bit more. I assume you're looking for 16x19 or thereabouts?

TripleB
07-15-2009, 03:28 PM
What kind of a game do you play? It is certainly far from a "classic" style feel.

What have you liked in the past? Your potential demo list seems to vary a bit, and I've tried almost everything out there, so if you can say what you liked I might be able to help out a bit more. I assume you're looking for 16x19 or thereabouts?

When playing alot I'm around a 4.5 (with a 3.7 serve). Prefer to play singles, always at the baseline (most of the time in doubles too), will probably be playing a lot more doubles (and with better opponents than I've played against in 20 years), use a great deal of spin off both sides (heavy slice and topspin off backhand; heavy topspin off forehand), can generate power but am looking for a racquet to take over some of that responsibility (but not too much), love the classic feel (POG mid, Yonex RD-7, LM Radical, Yonex RDX-500, etc), use touch, stamina, and placement to beat opponents (but would like to add just a bit more power from the midcourt).

Looking for something probably in between the LM Radical and RDX-500 Midplus. A bit more power than the RDX-500 and a lot more spin than the LM Radical.

That's probably why my list is so varied: can't decide on how much power I want, how much 'classic feel' I'm willing to give up, or whether I want to be a little closer in weight to the LM Rad or the RDX-500 MP.

Thanks for the input.

TripleB

LanEvo
07-15-2009, 03:39 PM
Aerostorm Light imo, i own a pair

TennisandMusic
07-15-2009, 03:49 PM
Well the new RDiS 100's are pretty fantastic racquets, but you'd have to not mind a stiff feel. But those things are pinpoint accurate, give you LOADS of spin, and have decent power. But again the feel might not be what you're looking for. It might be nicer with a full multi or gut setup, but I use polys or poly hybrids so I never tried that. I used the 98 for a bit and liked it a lot, just couldn't find my backhand enough with the grip shape for whatever reason (1 hander). I'm pretty sensitive to that.

The RQiS 95 XL is also a very nice racquet, pretty low powered but a softer feel than the RDiS. Not as much spin, and doesn't hit as heavy of a ball but was very nice all around.

Never tried the Aero Storm light but the heavier version is relatively demanding to play with, not in a weight sense (for me), but the sweet spot is small, and honestly it's a bit of dead feel. I've wanted to like it but it was hard for me to be consistent with.

Never tried the Gamma's.

The tecnifibre you list had an an even stiffer feel than the RDiS 100 98 if I rememeber correctly. Very good overall performance, but very goofy paintjob that seems to target kids and again a very stiff feel that got tiresome even with full multi.

I personally didn't like the MG radical pro. Had a light cheap feel to me. Would require significant lead to make it feel solid and just didn't do it for me personally, though I know some surely like it.

Another racquet I would recommend is the RDS 002 tour. I played with this one for about a year and it did just about everything great. For me it was a perfect balance between weight, power, spin, everything...I only stopped using it because for whatever reason I just couldn't be consistent enough with it, which was something I wasn't experiencing with other racquets. So when it was working, it was amazing, just fantastic. But when it wasn't I was spraying too many balls. And it wasn't the weight, because I still play with very heavy racquets, and I know a few others have mentioned this phenomenon. But for some it might work, so it could be worth a shot.

I guess I just said three yonex racquets were great. I would recommend the babolat stuff too, but since you already stated you don't like those that's no dice. The Pure Storm Tour is too "squishy" feeling, and never tried the limited.

You could also check out some of the Becker or Volkl stuff as that will probably offer you the most "classic" feel with some heft, feel and flex. But almost all of the good ones are 18x20.

Honestly for me the ideal racquet would be a heavy, medium stiffness (maybe 64 or so) 98 with an open string pattern that had excellent and solid feel. It just doesn't seem to exist in the way I wish it did. The RDS 002 tour is the closest I've seen, but I just play better with an APDC or PDRGT. Everything these days is so light and cheap feeling for the most part...

Hopefully that helped in some way.

TripleB
07-15-2009, 05:23 PM
Well the new RDiS 100's are pretty fantastic racquets, but you'd have to not mind a stiff feel. But those things are pinpoint accurate, give you LOADS of spin, and have decent power. But again the feel might not be what you're looking for. It might be nicer with a full multi or gut setup, but I use polys or poly hybrids so I never tried that.

The RQiS 95 XL is also a very nice racquet, pretty low powered but a softer feel than the RDiS. Not as much spin, and doesn't hit as heavy of a ball but was very nice all around.

The tecnifibre you list had an an even stiffer feel than the RDiS 100 98 if I rememeber correctly. Very good overall performance, but very goofy paintjob that seems to target kids and again a very stiff feel that got tiresome even with full multi.

I personally didn't like the MG radical pro. Had a light cheap feel to me. Would require significant lead to make it feel solid and just didn't do it for me personally, though I know some surely like it.

Another racquet I would recommend is the RDS 002 tour.

I guess I just said three yonex racquets were great. I would recommend the babolat stuff too, but since you already stated you don't like those that's no dice.

Honestly for me the ideal racquet would be a heavy, medium stiffness (maybe 64 or so) 98 with an open string pattern that had excellent and solid feel. It just doesn't seem to exist in the way I wish it did. The RDS 002 tour is the closest I've seen, but I just play better with an APDC or PDRGT. Everything these days is so light and cheap feeling for the most part...

Hopefully that helped in some way.

What I was worried about with the RDiS 100 MP was the power level. According to the Yonex website these are the lowest powered racquets in their new line. I, as well, use a poly/synthetic hybrid set up.

Suprised about the power level of the RQiS 1 Tour XL...according to the Yonex website this is one of the more powerful racquets in the new line. Yea, I had heard about the lower than expected spin potential which made me a leary of this racquet.

I think I playtested a Tecnifibre racquet for T-W at one point and it felt a lot stiffer than was indicated by the stiffness level. Although the specs of it look almost perfect, the stiffness worried me.

I think I demoed the MG Radical Pro a couple times because I loved many things about it but it seemed like the upper hoop area was a little unstable.

Demoed the RDS 002 Tour and loved the plow through effect but found the weight just too much...especially for doubles. However the lighter version of that racquet is one of the best racquets I've ever played with.

One of my worst shots is the cross court forehand with a great angle. I think that's one reason I'm looking lighter than my RDX-500 MP...so I can whip the racquet around with ease.

I would love to find an open string patterned racquet, around 11.3 to 11.5 ounces, solid (old school) feeling, about 5 points head light, and a power level just a notch above the RDX-500 midplus.

Thanks for taking the time to reply and give me all the feedback.

TripleB

TennisandMusic
07-15-2009, 06:30 PM
What about the new Dunlop 4D 300 tour? The only thing off would be the string pattern, but the review says it has good spin. I haven't tried it but it seems to be close to what you're looking for.

jms007
07-15-2009, 07:11 PM
What about the new Dunlop 4D 300 tour? The only thing off would be the string pattern, but the review says it has good spin. I haven't tried it but it seems to be close to what you're looking for.

I'd second that. I first found that it didn't have enough spin, but I think it was because my strokes were kind off on that day. After playing with it for two months I'm with this racquet. Perfect control and great feel, very stable. Maybe lacking slightly in the power departments, but that's good if you really want to swing out.

TripleB
07-15-2009, 08:09 PM
What about the new Dunlop 4D 300 tour?

I'd second that.

Thanks for the opinions. I had that racquet on my possible demo list for a long time but after buying a couple LM Radical Midplus racquets and loving everything about them but not being able to get enough spin, I've sort of shyed away from anything with 18 mains. I read the great spin numbers on that racquet but mentally I know it only has 18 mains. Crazy I know.

Thanks again for the suggestion though.

TripleB

TripleB
07-15-2009, 08:13 PM
Right now it looks as though the Yonex RDiS 300 and Yonex RDiS 100 Midplus are definite demos and the Gamma T-7 is a probable (love the specs on this one and the fact that it has a box frame and is all graphite).

That leaves one spot left for one of the following:
Babolat Pure Drive GT (doubtful...haven't liked a <11.7 oz Pure Drive yet)
Babolat Aero Storm
Yonex RQiS 1 Tour XL

Thanks for all the input!!!

TripleB

dincuss
07-15-2009, 08:46 PM
RDiS 100 is a great stick,
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do :D

TennisandMusic
07-15-2009, 10:07 PM
Right now it looks as though the Yonex RDiS 300 and Yonex RDiS 100 Midplus are definite demos and the Gamma T-7 is a probable (love the specs on this one and the fact that it has a box frame and is all graphite).

That leaves one spot left for one of the following:
Babolat Pure Drive GT (doubtful...haven't liked a <11.7 oz Pure Drive yet)
Babolat Aero Storm
Yonex RQiS 1 Tour XL

Thanks for all the input!!!

TripleB

Out of those? Id say the RQiS or maybe the pure drive roddick instead of the standard. I like the Pure Drive Roddick GT, but you may not. It's generally what I prefer right now. The RQiS is much softer with better overall feel.