PDA

View Full Version : Best way to mail a strung tennis racquet?

JavierLW
07-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Im selling a tennis racquet on thee usual auction site.

What is the best way to safely mail a tennis racquet that is strung?

Is there usually the right sized box at a UPS store or a post office, and are packing peanuts enough, or any other cushioned material?

If someone has some experience with this, let me know. Im selling the racquet with strings and obviously would like to assure it gets to where it's going in the same exact condition it's already in.

mozzer
07-15-2009, 02:59 PM
When i sold one, i made my own box and wrapped the frame in bubble wrap.

JavierLW
07-15-2009, 03:05 PM
When i sold one, i made my own box and wrapped the frame in bubble wrap.

Bubblewrap sounds like a good idea.

How did you make your own box? Do you have your own cardboard factory?

Im also trying to avoid having the package deemed as irregular which means I think it has to look like a box and it cant be more then 34 inches on one side.

Bengt
07-15-2009, 03:43 PM
I know this won't help you, but always keep your TW boxes.

However, you can take a single piece of square/rectangular cardboard, fold it and tape it with mailing tape along the open sides similar to how the Bird does it (as in Hola).

JavierLW
07-15-2009, 03:49 PM
I know this won't help you, but always keep your TW boxes.

However, you can take a single piece of square/rectangular cardboard, fold it and tape it with mailing tape along the open sides similar to how the Bird does it (as in Hola).

Wow, that's all they do now?

I seem to remember they used to have much nicer boxes then TW for that, how times have changed?

I guess I can try to make it look somewhat professional. If the postal service decides to stomp on it and beat it up, I dont want them blaming it on the shotty packaging.

Bud
07-15-2009, 03:54 PM

I seem to remember they used to have much nicer boxes then TW for that, how times have changed?

I guess I can try to make it look somewhat professional. If the postal service decides to stomp on it and beat it up, I dont want them blaming it on the shotty packaging.

Get two large (and free) USPS Priority/International Priority (non-flat rate) boxes and tape them together. It's the perfect size and width for 1 to 3 racquets (with or without covers). The drawback of this is you have to send the parcel via USPS Priority mail unless you cover it with shipping paper (to send Parcel Post).

USPS is the only shipper that allows parcels covered in shipping paper, too, BTW.

Let me know if you need a picture of what I'm referring to.

JavierLW
07-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Get two large (and free) USPS Priority/International Priority (non-flat rate) boxes and tape them together. It's the perfect size and width for 1 to 3 racquets (with or without covers). The drawback of this is you have to send the parcel via USPS Priority mail unless you cover it with shipping paper (to send Parcel Post).

USPS is the only shipper that allows parcels covered in shipping paper, too, BTW.

That sounds promising, I think Im sending it priority mail anyway.

Any particular size boxes?

Bengt
07-15-2009, 05:07 PM

Not exactly. They have some sort of shrink wrap machine that puts a black garbage bag material around the folded box. The box has two folds in order to provide the required depth.

Bud
07-15-2009, 05:27 PM
That sounds promising, I think Im sending it priority mail anyway.

Any particular size boxes?

Yes, use large Priority/Priority International, non flat-rate boxes.

DustinW
07-15-2009, 05:38 PM
Like Bud said. Two Priority Mail boxes taped together works perfectly. Just don't get the flat rate boxes, because they will charge you double!

Bottle Rocket
07-15-2009, 05:43 PM

I just happen to have a picture (sorry it is so big)...

http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh265/botlerocketwar/Random/EXO3Box013.jpg

For me, UPS has always been fine with it. Aren't they all about things that are brown?

Anyway, I hate UPS. USPS is faster and I've had much better experiences with them in terms of damage. They have never damaged anything. I've had some UPS shipments crushed. Might have been a total fluke, of course, but it still hasn't happened with USPS.

For the OP again, Insurance can be a good idea. Delivery confirmation is also sometimes a good idea. Plan on about $15 to ship something with this method with both the confirmation and insurance. $10-$12 without.

mozzer
07-16-2009, 01:34 AM
Bubblewrap sounds like a good idea.

How did you make your own box? Do you have your own cardboard factory?

Im also trying to avoid having the package deemed as irregular which means I think it has to look like a box and it cant be more then 34 inches on one side.
My dad is self employed and uses lots of boxes!

sphinx780
07-16-2009, 08:08 AM
I just happen to have a picture (sorry it is so big)...

For me, UPS has always been fine with it. Aren't they all about things that are brown?

Anyway, I hate UPS. USPS is faster and I've had much better experiences with them in terms of damage. They have never damaged anything. I've had some UPS shipments crushed. Might have been a total fluke, of course, but it still hasn't happened with USPS.

For the OP again, Insurance can be a good idea. Delivery confirmation is also sometimes a good idea. Plan on about $15 to ship something with this method with both the confirmation and insurance. $10-$12 without.

That pic shows exactly how I've always done it...if you have time, you can also order a pack of these boxes from the USPS website for free. Think it's like 25 boxes or something like that...and you should have them in 2-5 days....beats paying for them at the PO.

charliefedererer
07-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Everyone knows you should not leave a tennis racquet in the trunk of a car.
Does anyone know if there is one shipper that is better than another for keeping their packages from overheating in summer or freezing in winter?

Casey10s
07-16-2009, 08:18 AM
I had to ship a few racquets over the years. If I don't have a box, I go to one of the clubs where I play and ask them if they have any. Either they give me one or they will call me when they have one (usually in a few days). For the racquets they receive, the boxes are mostly thrown away. You can also ask one of the pros you know and see when they are getting their next shipment of racquets and get the box it came in.

Mansewerz
07-16-2009, 08:22 AM
My cousin once used two pizza boxes.

SuperJimmy
07-16-2009, 08:45 AM
Thanks for the tips. The last time I shipped, I ended up spending almost $10 on 3 boxes from UPS. Customizing two of them to connect together for the actual box, and using the third to kind of reinforce it to prevent it from falling apart. It seemed a lot of people says UPS has the right sized box, but I have been to three different ones around here and none of them have anything close to the right size. I'll go the USPS route next time.

geese_com
07-16-2009, 08:47 AM
I wrapped the frame in bubble wrap and stuffed the box with some newspaper.

dsa202
07-16-2009, 08:55 AM
UPS. They ship anywhere.

Bottle Rocket
07-16-2009, 09:31 AM
That pic shows exactly how I've always done it...if you have time, you can also order a pack of these boxes from the USPS website for free. Think it's like 25 boxes or something like that...and you should have them in 2-5 days....beats paying for them at the PO.

This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. I've been all over the USPS website, but never noticed this. I've always picked up boxes (for free) when i drop some off, but this is fantastic. I am about to get 19,000 boxes and a whole bunch of Priority mial stickers and nonsense delivered. I'm pretty happy about this. :wink:

canadave
07-16-2009, 10:45 AM
The one thing to be careful of in the UPS vs. USPS war is if you're shipping a racquet from the US to someone in Canada, then you would be doing the receiver a huge favour if you go with USPS, not UPS. We get absolutely destroyed on UPS's usurious "brokerage charge" here, unless you ship with UPS's "Worldwide Express Saver" whateverthingy--which I'm under the impression is too expensive for the seller.

If you ship with USPS, on the other hand, then their partner here in Canada--Canada Post--does not pass along brokerage charges to the receiver.

I've had small UPS shipments from the States show up at my door, and the UPS guy says, "That'll be $51, please." In cash.

hoodjem
07-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Get two large (and free) USPS Priority/International Priority (non-flat rate) boxes and tape them together. It's the perfect size and width for 1 to 3 racquets (with or without covers). The drawback of this is you have to send the parcel via USPS Priority mail . . .

I do it this way also. Slide one box into the other so that the two are the exact length you need.

Also, if you have a racquet case/bag, put the racquet in that--it is perfect packing material.

sphinx780
07-16-2009, 11:17 AM
This is the greatest thing I have ever seen. I've been all over the USPS website, but never noticed this. I've always picked up boxes (for free) when i drop some off, but this is fantastic. I am about to get 19,000 boxes and a whole bunch of Priority mial stickers and nonsense delivered. I'm pretty happy about this. :wink:

Can't go wrong with hand delivered nonsense ;-)

JavierLW
07-16-2009, 11:31 AM
The one thing to be careful of in the UPS vs. USPS war is if you're shipping a racquet from the US to someone in Canada, then you would be doing the receiver a huge favour if you go with USPS, not UPS. We get absolutely destroyed on UPS's usurious "brokerage charge" here, unless you ship with UPS's "Worldwide Express Saver" whateverthingy--which I'm under the impression is too expensive for the seller.

If you ship with USPS, on the other hand, then their partner here in Canada--Canada Post--does not pass along brokerage charges to the receiver.

I've had small UPS shipments from the States show up at my door, and the UPS guy says, "That'll be $51, please." In cash.

Im locked into using USPS Priority Mail anyway at this point.

canadave
07-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Im locked into using USPS Priority Mail anyway at this point.

Yep I figured that...just wanted to post for the benefit of anyone who finds this thread in the future during a search, and also for the benefit of anyone else who isn't aware of the UPS Canada issue.

ricardo
07-28-2009, 07:31 PM
I do it this way also. Slide one box into the other so that the two are the exact length you need.

Also, if you have a racquet case/bag, put the racquet in that--it is perfect packing material.

what's the cheapest cost thru usps to canada for shipping an unpacked tennis racket (i.e tennis racket and head cover only), not packed into any of the usps boxes/packaging.

thanks in advance..

canadave
07-29-2009, 03:47 AM
what's the cheapest cost thru usps to canada for shipping an unpacked tennis racket (i.e tennis racket and head cover only), not packed into any of the usps boxes/packaging.

thanks in advance..

You can go to the USPS website and find the link to finding a postal rate. That link will let you enter the dimensions of what you're shipping, the weight, and the destination, and will then calculate the various shipping rates for you. The rate will vary depending on where it's going, what packaging you put the racquet into, etc.

ricardo
07-29-2009, 09:59 AM

If you use 2 large boxes and tape them together, will USPS charge you twice as much?

thanks in advance...

canadave
07-29-2009, 10:06 AM
If you use 2 large boxes and tape them together, will USPS charge you twice as much?

thanks in advance...

No. The clerk at the USPS counter will calculate the postage based on the length, width, height, and weight of the overall container you're using. If that container is one box, or 2 boxes taped together, it doesn't matter. You can use express boxes, priority mail boxes, plain brown boxes, or boxes with pink polka dots--it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is the dimensions and weight of the container, the destination, and the type of mail service you want to send it with (airmail, express mail, ground, etc).

Again, you can find out how much the rate will be by measuring the container (whether it's one box or two taped together), weighing it, and then going to the USPS website and calculating the rate based on destination.

steve728
07-29-2009, 10:19 AM
In my experience, taping the two USPS Priority Mail boxes together produces a box with dimensions approximately 28" x 12" x 4". One racquet with lightweight packaging should be less than 2 lbs.; more if you add more stuff. This should help you with your estimate, but obviously, it'll depend on how you package it. Hope this helps.

Bud
07-29-2009, 08:54 PM

thanks in advance...

If you use the USPS boxes they need to be the non flat-rate boxes.

In my experience, taping the two USPS Priority Mail boxes together produces a box with dimensions approximately 28" x 12" x 4". One racquet with lightweight packaging should be less than 2 lbs.; more if you add more stuff. This should help you with your estimate, but obviously, it'll depend on how you package it. Hope this helps.

Spot on as long as the racquet only has a head cover. If it has a full padded cover it will exceed 2 lbs. which will increase the rate by 2-3 dollars minimum.

lgbalfa
06-06-2013, 01:12 PM
seems the best way to ship tennis racquets is using two priority boxes and taping them together.

how many racquets will fit?

can three fit?

thanks

Carolina Racquet
06-06-2013, 01:19 PM
seems the best way to ship tennis racquets is using two priority boxes and taping them together.

how many racquets will fit?

can three fit?

thanks

I think three might fit if they are thin-beamed... Otherwise, 2 max IMO.

Why don't you stop by the Post Office and pick up a couple of their boxes and beta-test it?

lgbalfa
06-06-2013, 01:20 PM
I think three might fit if they are thin-beamed... Otherwise, 2 max IMO.

Why don't you stop by the Post Office and pick up a couple of their boxes and beta-test it?

i am going to that probably this weekend.

just wanted to see if anyone knew.

the racquets are thin beam (19mm) so hopefully all three will fit.

thanks

jonestim
06-06-2013, 02:11 PM
Three thin beamed racquets will fit with a little bubble wrap between them.