PDA

View Full Version : High School Tennis Team

canuckfan72
07-15-2009, 10:20 PM
Next year i fear that my school wont have enough people to form a tennis team.
Im an avid tennis player and all my friends from my tennis club play for their school team. Has anybody faced a situation liked this or have any ideas for recruitment.

Next year we will have maybe 4 guys and 1 girl that can actually play. Our coach does not want to put together a team that will not be able to compete.

Sigh...

tennismom42
07-16-2009, 07:49 AM
Next year i fear that my school wont have enough people to form a tennis team.
Im an avid tennis player and all my friends from my tennis club play for their school team. Has anybody faced a situation liked this or have any ideas for recruitment.

Next year we will have maybe 4 guys and 1 girl that can actually play. Our coach does not want to put together a team that will not be able to compete.

Sigh... dang! How many kids in your HS?
Well, I suggest that the 5 of you have a meeting about this. See if the 5 of you can come up with a game plan to find & develop some other players. Perhaps some athletes play their main sport in another part of the school year. Recruit them & tell them tennis will keep them in shape & hone skills for their other sport. Tennis is actually quite good for improving one's batting average! Second, look at the tournaments draws in your area. See who has entered in the past & see if you can recruit them. You may have to go back years. Can your State district USTA office help you out with ideas?

What state are you in?

ClarkC
07-16-2009, 08:58 AM
If no team can form, those of you who would have been on a team need to have a meeting and agree to hit with each other, have a little challenge ladder with some real matches for match experience, get some ideas for drills from the guy who would have been coach, etc.

Players at other schools will be busy and unavailable. But you don't have to fall behind them in development.

You also have fitness work, hitting against a wall or with a ball machine, private lessons, USTA tournaments, etc. to keep your development going.

goran_ace
07-16-2009, 10:20 AM
Another idea is to find another school in your area that has a smaller program and form a co-op team. Pitch the idea to your coach, your athletic director, and the coach and AD at the other school. If you can get parents of the current players to pledge money to fund the team it makes it a lot easier to get it done.

canuckfan72
07-16-2009, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the ideas everybody. Im actually not from the states. I live in vancouver, canada. Im going to try and get our team captain (i play with him at our club) to help me give lessons to who ever is interested in improving their tennis game.

Im going to try and do some "public relations" work in our school. All of our returning members are solid players (weakest member is a low 4.0) so some people have the impression they dont have a chance.

CourtingYou
07-16-2009, 03:10 PM
I have a similar problem so I know what your going through. I go to an academic magnet school so Everybody is way more focused on getting 103's more than extracurricular activities. If anything, most people do track mostly just to get exercise. I lucked out. At the tennis place where we practice (Usually like 4 of us and a mass of girls who can't even get the ball into a regulation doubles court) I met this old guy who "recognized my potential" and started training me about 4 times a week during school and every day in the summer between 3-4 hours a day. I won state last year and now I'm even more addicted to tennis. I'm on a junior team where they occasionally play tournaments but this summer I've been thinking about entering some tournaments solo so I've been learning about the USTA tournaments and rankings. Sorry I told you this extensively long story to get to my point but you should find a local junior USTA team. Just go on your section's website. Also enter local tournaments on your own. Use the same website.

Sorry for rambling

^^