PDA

View Full Version : Shoulders opening up..

aimr75
07-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Is there a physical cue or technique to prevent opening the shoulders up too early in the forehand?

BU-Tennis
07-15-2009, 10:00 PM
First off, what kind of stance do you use? For an open stance I would say that opening the shoulders up as fast as possible is the best bet. But to ensure you aren't opening too early, its important to understand the stroke fundamentals. You initiate the stroke with the arm and legs, once you pull your elbow into your body is about the time you should be opening the shoulders up, this creates a little lag of time between the shoulders opening up and the arm coming through, which is important to get the transfer of energy.

BU-Tennis
07-15-2009, 10:06 PM
I'm not sure how accurate my last post was, but i just checked the new issue on tennisplayer.net and it has an entire article dedicated to shoulder rotation.

aimr75
07-15-2009, 10:13 PM
First off, what kind of stance do you use? For an open stance I would say that opening the shoulders up as fast as possible is the best bet. But to ensure you aren't opening too early, its important to understand the stroke fundamentals. You initiate the stroke with the arm and legs, once you pull your elbow into your body is about the time you should be opening the shoulders up, this creates a little lag of time between the shoulders opening up and the arm coming through, which is important to get the transfer of energy.

probably more so open stance.. with your comment about pulling the elbow into the body, is this more a reference to a double bend style forehand? i more so do a straight arm forehand..

I think i am pulling my left shoulder out at times as the initiating move rather then the arm

cliff
07-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Check where your left hand is at contact. If you were to look from the right side (or have a video taken from the right side as you hit the ball), can you still see your left hand in front of the body when you are making contact or has it already rotated (can it be seen behind the body at contact).

Have a look at this Kuznetsova forehand, click on the 'view sequence image' below the video clip and you can get a real clear view of what I am talking about.
http://www.procomparetennis.net/video/Kuznetsova-Forehand-Side-View
If possible you want to drive through the ball before you rotate around. Nevertheless, your swing path does depend on the grip you use.
If you are opening up too early I have seen teaching aids that help keep the hands together
http://www.mansionselect.com/tennistrainingaids-tennisforehandstrokes-forehandfixer.html?channelid=Yahoo%20Shopping
I dont know how effective this aid is, let me know if you try it out.

BU-Tennis
07-16-2009, 12:01 AM
probably more so open stance.. with your comment about pulling the elbow into the body, is this more a reference to a double bend style forehand? i more so do a straight arm forehand..

I think i am pulling my left shoulder out at times as the initiating move rather then the arm

I am talking about a double bend forehand. With a straight arm its very similar but a little more difficult. You still start the swing the same way (or pretty close) to a double bend forehand, but you straighten up at the bottom of the downswing which sets the wrist. Try to think about opening the shoulders at the same time you start the forward swing to contact from the bottom of the backswing. This isn't exactly what you want to do in the end but it should give you a closer feeling to what the stroke actually is. You should really try and open the shoulders up just a split second before the arm.

aimr75
07-16-2009, 04:35 AM
Check where your left hand is at contact. If you were to look from the right side (or have a video taken from the right side as you hit the ball), can you still see your left hand in front of the body when you are making contact or has it already rotated (can it be seen behind the body at contact).

my left hand is not really in front of my body like kuznetzova.. its more so wrapped around and my body is not really parallel to the net.. dont know if this is wrong..

not after a full on critique of the stroke as i am working on other aspects of it.. but i think i still have the early shoulder rotation issue..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxbF5NuDhuo

(dont really have another more recent vid to show)