PDA

View Full Version : scammers on (e)bay: Babolat Pure Drive GT

dl125
07-16-2009, 06:13 AM
Wow, I just watched 10 people get taken at $120 a pop yesterday, and now $130. It's bumming me out. Some red flags you guys:

-you have to go through a payment checkout like: paymate, paypro, pay...
This drops your money into an account overseas. Also your card info is now out there and who knows when it could be used again. At least with paypal you can get a third party involved and at times get your $ back.

-seller has feedback from "private" auctions and multiple feedback from the same person. These scammers set up their own auctions and bid on them. This way they can give the illusion they are legit with 788 instead of say 10. They even have auctions like "how to get 100 or more feedback in 10 days"

-They use the stock photo and it may or may not be the actual item you are going to get. At least write and see what happens if you request pics of the serial number decal and grip size decal. These are the indications of a genuine Babolat. Maybe detailed pics of GT at throat and head, decals, buttcap, etc...Who knows maybe they have a real one for this alone. If they don't get back to you with something, then something is wrong. Me; I won a GT roddick and was sent a PDR...and it was a fake.

-Check out the feedback: all neutral and negative comments have been left on racquet purchases.

REMEMBER: IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS. There are other legit sellers and I know everyone likes to save $50 on a racquet that ends up being say $225 out the door of a shop. Just freaking be careful. It's your money, so hound the seller now before you get taken and you're after them after they have your money.

(this is just from experience and from email conversations with two others involved in a scam, if you have any other info feel free to post)

jms007
07-16-2009, 06:16 AM
I think they're fairly easy to spot. All you gotta do is look at the feedback. If you see the same names leaving tons of feedback in short time...well then run like hell.

Bud
07-16-2009, 06:17 AM
Wow, I just watched 10 people get taken at $120 a pop yesterday, and now $130. It's bumming me out. Some red flags you guys:

-you have to go through a payment checkout like: paymate, paypro, pay...
This drops your money into an account overseas. Also your card info is now out there and who knows when it could be used again. At least with paypal you can get a third party involved and at times get your $ back.

-seller has feedback from "private" auctions and multiple feedback from the same person. These scammers set up their own auctions and bid on them. This way they can give the illusion they are legit with 788 instead of say 10. They even have auctions like "how to get 100 or more feedback in 10 days"

-They use the stock photo and it may or may not be the actual item you are going to get. At least write and see what happens if you request pics of the serial number decal and grip size decal. These are the indications of a genuine Babolat. Maybe detailed pics of GT at throat and head, decals, buttcap, etc...Who knows maybe they have a real one for this alone. If they don't get back to you with something, then something is wrong. Me; I won a GT roddick and was sent a PDR...and it was a fake.

-Check out the feedback: all neutral and negative comments have been left on racquet purchases.

REMEMBER: IF IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT IS. There are other legit sellers and I know everyone likes to save $50 on a racquet that ends up being say $225 out the door of a shop. Just freaking be careful. It's your money, so hound the seller now before you get taken and you're after them after they have your money.

(this is just from experience and from email conversations with two others involved in a scam, if you have any other info feel free to post)

I agree. Great advice, BTW.

wngan9447
07-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Wow, I just watched 10 people get taken at $120 a pop yesterday, and now $130.

Which auctions are you looking at? I'd like to see the buyer and listing for future reference.

I just checked the completed listings and current listings for "Babolat Pure Drive GT" and "Babolat GT".

Richie Rich
07-16-2009, 06:38 AM
anyone who buys a babolat from the bay is asking for trouble. there are a few reputable dealers selling but most are fakes.

MAX PLY
07-16-2009, 06:41 AM
Good advice. Alas, there are still folks out there looking for that super bargain who will deservedly get scammed. Incidentally, if anybody who buys such a racquet would like me to help them get their money back from Nigeria all they have to do is send me a small deposit . . .:)

DriveABC
07-17-2009, 10:18 AM
is it topranked_seller ?