PDA

View Full Version : I suddenly have a 1 handed backhand

Syfo-Dias
07-16-2009, 07:11 AM
So, I've been working on developing a 1 HBH for a while now because I really hate my 2 hander. Until recently the results have been mixed, but last night things really started coming together. I had been using an eastern backhand grip, but I decided to try more of a semi-western backhand and it made a huge difference. I started getting way more control and consistency by doing this. I've also simplified my backswing to go more straight back instead of going high to low. I've gotta say, ripping a good 1 hander down the line is one of the best feelings in the world. No offense to the 2 handers, but the feeling just doesn't compare. I'm looking forward to getting my new ball machine today. I'm going to drill on this as often as I can and hopefully I might actually get a decent backhand one of these days. :) Anybody else been successful switching to a 1 hander?

mikeler
07-16-2009, 07:22 AM
I actually switched from a 2 hander to a 1 hander twice. Once in high school and then 5 years ago when I came back and started playing again as a 30 year old. When I came back, my arm was not strong enough to hit the 1 hander yet. After 6 months, I made the switch and it sucked for about a month or so and then it all came back to me.

I also found a lot of success with the SW grip in terms of spin and pace. It is also easier to handle high balls with that grip. You are correct, blasting a 1 hander down the line is way more satisfying than the same shot with a 2 hander.

SethIMcClaine
07-16-2009, 07:22 AM
So, I've been working on developing a 1 HBH for a while now because I really hate my 2 hander. Until recently the results have been mixed, but last night things really started coming together. I had been using an eastern backhand grip, but I decided to try more of a semi-western backhand and it made a huge difference. I started getting way more control and consistency by doing this. I've also simplified my backswing to go more straight back instead of going high to low. I've gotta say, ripping a good 1 hander down the line is one of the best feelings in the world. No offense to the 2 handers, but the feeling just doesn't compare. I'm looking forward to getting my new ball machine today. I'm going to drill on this as often as I can and hopefully I might actually get a decent backhand one of these days. :) Anybody else been successful switching to a 1 hander?
I've started out as a 1hbh and attempted to go to the 2hbh for the stability but cant get myself to do it. I played ultimate frisbee 5 years in college, 1hbh is half natural to me after getting so used to throwing a disc

larry10s
07-16-2009, 07:28 AM
what is the index knuckle and heel pad points for a sw backhand grip???

blakesq
07-16-2009, 07:44 AM
Wow...that really helps me think about my 1HB. I was a very good frisbee thrower in my day. But nowadays with my 1HB, i am trying so hard to get top spin on it that i start my backswing low, and rise up to the ball, which is a strange motion, and hard for me to generate power. However, my frisbee throwing motion is more like a classic 1hb tennis swing motion, where my backswing starts relatively high and naturally comes down, then up again as I throw the frisbee. Thanks!

I've started out as a 1hbh and attempted to go to the 2hbh for the stability but cant get myself to do it. I played ultimate frisbee 5 years in college, 1hbh is half natural to me after getting so used to throwing a disc

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 08:32 AM
I agree completely. There are few greater feelings in tennis than a solid 1HBH passing shot. It feels great and looks beautiful too. Not hating on the 2HBH (learned tennis with one), but it just can't compare in terms of feel.

hyogen
07-16-2009, 08:40 AM
i really want to switch. every once in a while i can hit a somewhat decent 1hbh....how i wish i could switch to it. right now it seems impossible to hit a high ball..

any other tips? :o

Sublime
07-16-2009, 08:59 AM
what is the index knuckle and heel pad points for a sw backhand grip???

Same as a SW FH grip... that's why people call it that. Technically I think it's supposed to be called an Extreme Eastern BH grip.

user92626
07-16-2009, 09:26 AM
Coincidentally yesterday I also tried to hit a few 1hbh...for the first time. I sort of have seen it enough times and understood it somewhat. It was amazing and good feeling when I could produce a few decent shots. I used the conti/ serve-like grip and the key was pivot with front foot and hit and align the racket at the contact point in the same position as if hitting a FH.

It was actually easy to hit this stroke, and probably any stroke, at low and medium power. I'm not sure how to produce power with this because the palm isn't directly behind the racket handle and you're using the less utilized back muscle to swing forward and up.

GuyClinch
07-16-2009, 09:34 AM
Meh. Footwork so much easier on the 2hander. You guys are wasting your time. I have a one hander and it's an okay shot - don't get me wrong. But the fact you can pivot and then crush a two hander (from an open stance) makes it a far superior shot. It makes me want to learn a two hander.

Majik
07-16-2009, 09:50 AM
I agree completely. There are few greater feelings in tennis than a solid 1HBH passing shot. It feels great and looks beautiful too. Not hating on the 2HBH (learned tennis with one), but it just can't compare in terms of feel.

The great feeling you're talking about is the feeling of coiling up and really being able to throw your weight into the swing and watching everything else easily follow from there. I'm not sure you can do that witha 2HBH.

shadows
07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
Congrats on your success! I recently tried switching to a 1hbh for a bit of fun having been pretty dissatisfied with my 2 hander for a while. I'm not sure what to make of it so far, need to work more on balls outside my ideal hitting zone till I start to feel comfortable with it, it's early days yet.

That said I definitely know what you mean about the feeling being incomparable when you get it right; I felt I had a mini epiphany the other day after stepping in and cracking a cc bh winner. Looking forward to working on it some more tomorrow (assuming the cursed rain holds off).

user92626
07-16-2009, 10:34 AM
The great feeling you're talking about is the feeling of coiling up and really being able to throw your weight into the swing and watching everything else easily follow from there. I'm not sure you can do that witha 2HBH.

No! the great feeling is the feeling that you're one of last in a dying breed. The breed that could make this bh a weapon. 2hbh is a dime a dozen. A good 2hbh is probably no more amazing than ..a decent fh.

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 10:39 AM
Meh. Footwork so much easier on the 2hander. You guys are wasting your time. I have a one hander and it's an okay shot - don't get me wrong. But the fact you can pivot and then crush a two hander (from an open stance) makes it a far superior shot. It makes me want to learn a two hander.
The footwork is not easier on the 2HBH, you just can get away with being out of position a lot more. The disadvantages of the 1HBH are mainly difficulty in learning and dealing with high balls. That's it. The advantages are far greater than they are for a 2HBH. You have much more shot variety available, and have a bigger reach for shots. Plus, you can easily disguise a slice or a drop shot off the backhand side since you normally just use one hand anyway.

Syfo-Dias
07-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Same as a SW FH grip... that's why people call it that. Technically I think it's supposed to be called an Extreme Eastern BH grip.

Yeah, I was actually wondering about that. I guess it's an Extreme Eastern backhand grip that I'm using now. It falls between a standard Eastern and Western backhand.

mikeler
07-16-2009, 11:06 AM
There are advantages and disadvantages to both types of backhands. It all comes down to personal preference.

EtePras
07-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Any male who hits a one handed backhand probably sucks at tennis. If you're playing to look pretty instead of to win, you probably have other more serious issues than sucking at tennis too.

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
Any male who hits a one handed backhand probably sucks at tennis. If you're playing to look pretty instead of to win, you probably have other more serious issues than sucking at tennis too.
Bro, I'm right there with you. Those guys Federer and Sampras were PATHETIC

Majik
07-16-2009, 02:46 PM
I'm wondering if there is a 2HBH kill shot. I have a 1HBH, and if I get a sitter anywhere between the net and the service line, then I can usually make a kill shot. And I don't mean a passing shot. I mean I don't think anyone is going to return it even if I aim it to their forhand. I do it with a sudden weight shift and a snap of my wrist. I'm not sure I've ever seen that with a 2HBH.

split-step
07-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Umm... not to state the obvious but that feeling that you get when you rip a backhand down the line pass is not dependent on how many hands you have on the handle.

Club tennis 1HBHs just feel it is more special because they've shanked so many prior to and they finally made one :razz:

It's cool for a 2hbh but not such a big deal. Can be done over and over and over again without missing. lol.

split-step
07-16-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm wondering if there is a 2HBH kill shot. I have a 1HBH, and if I get a sitter anywhere between the net and the service line, then I can usually make a kill shot. And I don't mean a passing shot. I mean I don't think anyone is going to return it even if I aim it to their forhand. I do it with a sudden weight shift and a snap of my wrist. I'm not sure I've ever seen that with a 2HBH.

Your post is like asking, is there a forehand kill shot?
It makes no sense.

plum
07-16-2009, 06:28 PM
The future might be learning and playing both. When I first came back to tennis with a big light racquet <10oz Dunlop 900 G I played and was having fun with a OHBH. Still miss the short ball winners I hit with that Racquet but don't miss the racquet. As soon as I got a 12 oz frame going I realized that THBH was necessary but also welcome becasue i missed the control remembering the earlier days of my youth-- which wasn't much to rave about tennis-wise. The other day I realized I was now strong enough to try to hit OHBH again! BTW, I never stopped slicing even with the heavaier frames! Now, it occured to me the other day that I Love both shots. Or even more than both. I love the extra reach the OHBH provides when being pulled out wide-- as a righty-- to the Ad court. My goal is to be able to rip a OHBH with a 12+ Oz frame down ther line in response to one of these pull-me-out-wide shots. When I have to get into postion for a THBH it is akward. The slice, is always an option, but feels generally more defensive-- especailly since I can not yet get them to sit as low as I would like. For some reason, it seems easier to Aim/redirect an incoming Ad court shot to the righty backhand with a OHFH. I realize there is a solid reason for teaching one or the other. It is probably that because the timing is different-- OHBH hitting out in front more-- that this Having-both-idea-- could seem to complicated. However, imagine an arsenal that included both one handed and two handed forehands and backhands. This could be the future?

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 07:00 PM
Umm... not to state the obvious but that feeling that you get when you rip a backhand down the line pass is not dependent on how many hands you have on the handle.

Club tennis 1HBHs just feel it is more special because they've shanked so many prior to and they finally made one :razz:

It's cool for a 2hbh but not such a big deal. Can be done over and over and over again without missing. lol.
No, it's definitely different, believe me. I was taught a two-hander and was pretty damn good with it. I only switched to a 1H because i wanted to disguise my slice which not many club players can even hit. It has a completely different feel to it, one that unless you have been taught both, you really can't appreciate.

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 07:06 PM
The future might be learning and playing both. When I first came back to tennis with a big light racquet <10oz Dunlop 900 G I played and was having fun with a OHBH. Still miss the short ball winners I hit with that Racquet but don't miss the racquet. As soon as I got a 12 oz frame going I realized that THBH was necessary but also welcome becasue i missed the control remembering the earlier days of my youth-- which wasn't much to rave about tennis-wise. The other day I realized I was now strong enough to try to hit OHBH again! BTW, I never stopped slicing even with the heavaier frames! Now, it occured to me the other day that I Love both shots. Or even more than both. I love the extra reach the OHBH provides when being pulled out wide-- as a righty-- to the Ad court. My goal is to be able to rip a OHBH with a 12+ Oz frame down ther line in response to one of these pull-me-out-wide shots. When I have to get into postion for a THBH it is akward. The slice, is always an option, but feels generally more defensive-- especailly since I can not yet get them to sit as low as I would like. For some reason, it seems easier to Aim/redirect an incoming Ad court shot to the righty backhand with a OHFH. I realize there is a solid reason for teaching one or the other. It is probably that because the timing is different-- OHBH hitting out in front more-- that this Having-both-idea-- could seem to complicated. However, imagine an arsenal that included both one handed and two handed forehands and backhands. This could be the future?
One fantastic backhand is > two decent backhands. Federer and Sampras would have used a two hander as well as their 1H if what you were saying was really true, and Nalbandian, Hewitt and Safin would all be cracking 1HBH shots in contrast.

klementine79
07-16-2009, 07:20 PM
There is definately more power with a 1hbh and it is definately more versatile, especially when the ball is higher than the comfort zone.

But a 2hbh is more consistent and reliable, and easier to control direction.

I like to switch between the two during play and practice both.

If I stay loose and step into it, my 2hbh is just as powerful, deep and has just as much topspin as my 1hbh.

But if that ball is sitting right there and I'm in position, I love to rip 1hbh's...

It also throws off your opponent, changes the pace, if you can hit both during play.

So I say, practice both and use whatever the situation calls for.

split-step
07-16-2009, 07:21 PM
No, it's definitely different, believe me. I was taught a two-hander and was pretty damn good with it. I only switched to a 1H because i wanted to disguise my slice which not many club players can even hit. It has a completely different feel to it, one that unless you have been taught both, you really can't appreciate.

My post was in jest.
I actually hit a one handed backhand.

split-step
07-16-2009, 07:25 PM
One fantastic backhand is > two decent backhands.

Not really sure what you are saying.

One fantastic 1hbh > two decent 2hbhs?
or
a fantastic 1hbh > a decent 2hbh?

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 07:31 PM
Not really sure what you are saying.

One fantastic 1hbh > two decent 2hbhs?
or
a fantastic 1hbh > a decent 2hbh?

One great backhand, whether it's one or two handed is > trying to hit 2HBH and 1HBH depending on the situation. If you were to focus on one of the two, you wouldn't find that there is a situation that you need that other shot. If you like a 1HBH, then ONLY use it. Take that shot, and develop it, and forget about the 2HBH. If you like a 2HBH, then ONLY use that and develop it. Don't use two mediocre shots because you haven't dedicated enough time to the stroke mechanics of the backhand.

GuyClinch
07-16-2009, 07:35 PM
The footwork is not easier on the 2HBH, you just can get away with being out of position a lot more. The disadvantages of the 1HBH are mainly difficulty in learning and dealing with high balls. That's it. The advantages are far greater than they are for a 2HBH. You have much more shot variety available, and have a bigger reach for shots. Plus, you can easily disguise a slice or a drop shot off the backhand side since you normally just use one hand anyway.

Umm yes it is. Modern tennis is about the recovery and speed to react to the balls. The 2HBH is hit easily from both an open or closed stance. Whereas the one hander is hit from a closed stance.

So where you step out with your left or pivot if you prefer on the two hander -on the one hander you have to step out and then take an additional step to close off your stance. This hurts both your set up speed and your recovery speed. The two-hander is flat out the better shot. It sets up faster and puts you in a better recovery position when hit right.

Pete

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Umm yes it is. Modern tennis is about the recovery and speed to react to the balls. The 2HBH is hit easily from both an open or closed stance. Whereas the one hander is hit from a closed stance.

So where you step out with your left or pivot if you prefer on the two hander -on the one hander you have to step out and then take an additional step to close off your stance. This hurts both your set up speed and your recovery speed. The two-hander is flat out the better shot. It sets up faster and puts you in a better recovery position when hit right.

Pete
I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. The shot is better for the player if that's what they like to hit. Sampras had a one hander, Agassi had a two hander. Federer has a one hander, Nadal has a two hander. Pete learned the 2HBH and his coach switched it in his early teens to the 1HBH. Were you correct in saying that the 1HBH puts you out of position, then all the great backhands: Haas, Gasquet, Gaudio, Federer, Henin, etc. would all be out of position a lot. Unfortunately for the last two particularly, they are NEVER out of position, so what are you on about?

klementine79
07-16-2009, 07:51 PM
I'm sorry, but you're just wrong. The shot is better for the player if that's what they like to hit. Sampras had a one hander, Agassi had a two hander. Federer has a one hander, Nadal has a two hander. Pete learned the 2HBH and his coach switched it in his early teens to the 1HBH. Were you correct in saying that the 1HBH puts you out of position, then all the great backhands: Haas, Gasquet, Gaudio, Federer, Henin, etc. would all be out of position a lot. Unfortunately for the last two particularly, they are NEVER out of position, so what are you on about?

It's hard to argue with you when you bring the pros into the picture. Besides, I believe this has more to do with footwork than which method is more efficient. The pros are world-class players, even the last-ranked player in the world would wipe the floor with any of us with one hand tied behind his back, a wal-mart racquet and some flip-flops. Drawing any comparisons between what we do and what works for us and the results of a pro are simply illogical.

Even though I agree with you.

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 07:58 PM
It's hard to argue with you when you bring the pros into the picture. Besides, I believe this has more to do with footwork than which method is more efficient. The pros are world-class players, even the last-ranked player in the world would wipe the floor with any of us with one hand tied behind his back, a wal-mart racquet and some flip-flops. Drawing any comparisons between what we do and what works for us and the results of a pro are simply illogical.

Even though I agree with you.
It isn't illogical in the slightest. At some point in their career, they were at your or my level. They had to be, it's not possible to somehow come out with flawless strokes. They might have been 9 years old, but they were still at the same technique level. A 1HBH is not an "advanced" stroke, it's just a way of hitting one of groundstrokes. If you're taught it starting out, you'll easily get it. If you're taught the 2HBH, then you'll easily get that. It just depends on what feels natural to you and how well you can develop that stroke.

klementine79
07-16-2009, 08:02 PM
It isn't illogical in the slightest. At some point in their career, they were at your or my level. They had to be, it's not possible to somehow come out with flawless strokes. They might have been 9 years old, but they were still at the same technique level. A 1HBH is not an "advanced" stroke, it's just a way of hitting one of groundstrokes. If you're taught it starting out, you'll easily get it. If you're taught the 2HBH, then you'll easily get that. It just depends on what feels natural to you and how well you can develop that stroke.

Which is my point-- it's not about what method they use, with how much spin they hit or if they hit with spin at all, if they have a compact swing or long, fast , loopy swing or what kind of grip they use-- none of that matters, because it's all preference.

The pros are pros because they put their body in position (footwork) and can find the sweetspot at high swing speeds 110% of the time. Now whether they don't do these things correctly all the time, is a testament to their opponnent and not their level of skill or whether one method is better than the other.

federer_15
07-16-2009, 08:12 PM
I think a 2hbh looks just as good when it is hit down the line. Unless you are Federer 1hbh is just unbelievable. Federer seems to effortless when he hits his and what I find funny is how Federer shuts his eyes when he hits the ball.

Although there are some 2hbh players like Nadal that are very muscular and use there strength more to hit the backhand.

flyinghippos101
07-16-2009, 08:24 PM

Yikes, I sense serious ignorance in this one...

PS I'm going to quote this for my signature

Syfo-Dias
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I didn't mean to start a flame war here. I don't think either BH is better than the other. I've just never been happy with MY particular 2 HBH and wanted to switch eventually. That's why I've been working on it so much by drilling with people and hitting thousands of balls from ball machines. It's just recently that it's started to finally come together. It's definitely a stroke that takes a lot of time and practice to develop.

GuyClinch
07-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Do you actually understand the difference between a closed and open stance? If you didn't you wouldn't be responding with such drivel. The footwork IS EASIER with the two hander.. my god.

http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/video-tennis-lessons/backhand/one-handed-backhand-fundamentals/step-into-the-court/

YOU STEP ACROSS YOUR BODY WITH YOUR INSIDE FOOT.

You do not have to do this with a two hander. So its faster to set up. <g> You can just load up and swing from an open stance.

So you don't hit from the open stance - and when you finish you facing the wrong way for recovery. Its slower at setting up and recovery. Yes Henin and Federer hit some nice one handed backhands. its still an inferior shot and that's why its leaving the game.

Pete

Sublime
07-17-2009, 05:03 AM
its still an inferior shot and that's why its leaving the game.

11 of the last 19 grand slams on the men's side have been won by 1HBHs. You can go back further but then you'll get into the Kuerten/Sampras years and it gets even worse.

Its not an inferior shot, its not a superior shot. Kids are learning the game and being heavily trained younger and younger. A 10 year old boy is going to have more success with a 2 hander than a 1 hander. Its a matter of strength in the shoulder and forearm. By the time he's 15 or 16 there's too much pressure to win for him to do something drastic like switch to a 1 hander ever if it would be a better shot for him. That's why there's more 2 handers out there today.

GuyClinch
07-17-2009, 05:24 AM
11 of the last 19 grand slams on the men's side have been won by 1HBHs. You can go back further but then you'll get into the Kuerten/Sampras years and it gets even worse.

That proves nothing. The tour is mostly using two handers - despite it being seen as a women's stroke a few years ago. All the best defensive players use it - Nadal, Hewitt, Murray. Your recover better with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGlGEGv2KCg

Watch Murray hit from the open stance. Its a better shot. The younger #2 and #3 players (Nadal, Murray) both use it. Tennis pros finally get the advantage of the open stance and are now teaching this shot.

The return of serve is where it really pays off for most players its just a pivot and smash for a two-hander. Its why Agassi had such a stellar return of serve.

Sublime
07-17-2009, 06:07 AM
The return of serve is where it really pays off for most players its just a pivot and smash for a two-hander. Its why Agassi had such a stellar return of serve.

I agree... that was the key reason for Roddick returning serve so much better than Federer a Wimbledon... ohh wait.

mlp
07-18-2009, 06:03 AM
I think a 2hbh looks just as good when it is hit down the line. Unless you are Federer 1hbh is just unbelievable. Federer seems to effortless when he hits his and what I find funny is how Federer shuts his eyes when he hits the ball.

Although there are some 2hbh players like Nadal that are very muscular and use there strength more to hit the backhand.

Lol he shuts his eyes because he's having an orgasm!

doctor dennis
07-19-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm currently going to change from a 2hbh to 1hbh. Mine isn't really through choice though, I've got a wrist injury whereby I won't be able to use my left wrist for at least 6 months. I can hit fairly decent one handers when messing around but I'm interested to know if I can get it to the standard of my two hander in such little time. I don't think either backhand is better than the other, whatever you can play best with is what counts. For me, if I gain full use of my hand again I'll have to make a decision on what suits me best and I perform better with. It's going to be an interesting time learning it properly and I'm lookin forward to the challenge.

pvaudio
07-19-2009, 03:06 PM
Well, not to burst your bubble, but you absolutely need both hands for a 1HBH as well. YOu need to hold the racquet on the takeback, it sets up your balance. Without it, you will just end up smacking the ball somewhere, shanking it or missing it altogether.

aimr75
07-19-2009, 03:30 PM
^^ theres a pretty big difference between just using the left hand (for a righty) just as a guide and balance versus using it as a dominant arm in the 2hbh which stays with the stroke in its entirety..

defrule
07-20-2009, 01:22 AM
When I play with my midplus, I can go 2HBH and play a very grindy tennis. Pretty interesting sometimes.

doctor dennis
07-20-2009, 02:05 AM
^^ theres a pretty big difference between just using the left hand (for a righty) just as a guide and balance versus using it as a dominant arm in the 2hbh which stays with the stroke in its entirety..

Totally agree. I'm more worried about the impact from the ball on the 2hbh. Guiding the racket into position will be fine for a 1hbh, my left wrist won't be troubled.