PDA

View Full Version : Thumb position on forehand?

hoodjem
07-16-2009, 08:12 AM
I believe I've figured out the cause of my recent bout of TE.

I changed my forehand grip this past spring to try and get more topspin: I had moved my thumb to the second bevel (considering the top bevel as the first), trying to push my grip around to the right (I am right-handed) toward a Western grip.

Unfortunately, this meant I was essentially gripping the racquet by pinching between the upper pad of my thumb and my index finger. Also unfortunately, it meant there was a lot of air or space in my grip--I wasn't truly gripping the racquet very fully, just pinching like a pencil grip.

Also, my other three fingers weren't doing very much because they were not fully gripping the racquet.

The bottom line was that I was trying to hit forehands with about 1 1/2 fingers doing all the work. This forced me to squeeze my grip really hard.

Last night hitting with my hitting partner I tried wrapping my thumb all the way around in more of a fist-like grip, barely touching my middle finger. Everything suddenly felt much more solid. And the grip-hand interface seemd much more secure and tighter.

Where do you put your thumb on your forehand grip?

Double bagel
07-16-2009, 10:24 AM
On my sw my thumb knuckle is on top bevel whil the nail is on the 8th bever...in line with my index finger, which is separated from the other three fingers (trigger grip) by like a 1/3 inch. The tip of the thumb is barely over the 7th bevel.

This is how I've always hit it and I was wondering if most people find that the thumb under the index finger is more practical. I might have to adjust as well.