PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop AG 100 vs. Microgel Prestige Mid

CBORNANCINI
07-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Ive been playing with Dunlop AG 100, but in the middle of a bad match, I put my AG 100 down and try the MG Prestige mid. Everything is change! Nice pop and feel, my slice come back, more power (?). I am very impressed with the Prestige mid. But the real surprise is the improvement in my game. There is no sense for this, in my opinion, but is a fact!
I used a hybrid setup, pro supex BA mains and maxin touch crosses.
Now Im thinking about my current racquet of choice... Any comments are welcome. :-?

Keifers
07-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Interesting situation...

Can you tell us more about what was happening in this bad match? what you were doing? what your opponent was doing? singles or doubles? etc.

Thanks.

jms007
07-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Ive been playing with Dunlop AG 100, but in the middle of a bad match, I put my AG 100 down and try the MG Prestige mid. Everything is change! Nice pop and feel, my slice come back, more power (?). I am very impressed with the Prestige mid. But the real surprise is the improvement in my game. There is no sense for this, in my opinion, but is a fact!
I used a hybrid setup, pro supex BA mains and maxin touch crosses.
Now Im thinking about my current racquet of choice... Any comments are welcome. :-?

Maybe just the fact that you weren't thinking about the racquet and not expecting anything made you play better. When people try to settle on a racquet, they usually expect some real improvement to their game and scrutinize every shot. Suddenly it's more about the racquet than your game, and disappointment and blaming the equipment inevitably follows. Maybe you were just having a bad day, so any change makes a difference.

CBORNANCINI
07-16-2009, 01:57 PM
Since I started to use a AG 100, I do not found my game; slice is killed and my forehand is no confident. This experience is not isolated, this happened in 3 matches before this. I play singles. My opponent moved me side by side of the court... A real nightmare, if you understand me. But I beats him after change the racquet in the middle of the game!
I think this racquets have almost the same specifications, so I dont understand how I could play so different with this two.
What you think?

jms007
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
Well I don't know, what were you using before AG100 and why did you switch?
Messing around with racquets too much affects your game, as you need an adjustment period for each racquet. I say play with the Prestige Mid a bunch of matches and if you get consistently good results...well then there you go. Otherwise it might not be a racquet problem.

furyoku_tennis
07-16-2009, 02:41 PM
it sounds more like a psychological thing than the racquet.

naylor
07-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Well, I went in the other direction, from the Prestige Mid to the AG100 (via a Redondo Mid).

My original rackets were n90s, which I enjoyed playing with. However, I did not like the new k90s as much - very good for hitting with, but because of the high swingweight (it actually went up from the n to the k) in matches I was regularly late on the forehand. So, I switched to the Prestige Mid - which on paper has similar weight / swingweight / balance characteristics to the n90. Still, somehow I found them a lot more mute than the n90s, with much less feel for the ball in the stringbed, and my lateness on the forehand was still there. So, I tried the Redondos (same weight, lower swingweight), and then the AG100s (fractionally less weight, lower swingweight again).

The AG100 suits my game. I play S&V singles, and lots of doubles, so I need an accurate stick for serving, low swingweight for quick volleying, and an open 16x19 frame that will help add extra spin on sliced backhand approaches and on deep forehand returns - and the AG100 does that perfectly.

By the same token, those characteristics make it less than ideal for matches spent mostly rallying side-to-side from the baseline, which sounds more like the game you were forced to play (possibly, on clay also?). For that kind of game, the extra mass and swingweight of the Prestige Mid helps put more weight on your ball, so your opponent finds it harder to play those than the relatively lighter ball coming out of the AG100. The answers are, simply, 1) stick to the Prestige Mid for such baseline rallying matches, or 2) add some lead to the AG100 (I suggest, at 9-3 or 10-2 to start with, to see how it feels) to add more stability to the rackethead and bring the mass and swingweight closer to that of the Prestige Mid.

Buona fortuna / buena suerte!

klementine
07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
That's the sweet, enticing allure of the PrestigeMid.....

She's definately a good one..... so much so, that I felt the need to write her a letter after months of neglect..... :)

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=274425

bad_call
07-16-2009, 02:48 PM
Well, I went in the other direction, from the Prestige Mid to the AG100 (via a Redondo Mid).

My original rackets were n90s, which I enjoyed playing with. However, I did not like the new k90s as much - very good for hitting with, but because of the high swingweight (it actually went up from the n to the k) in matches I was regularly late on the forehand. So, I switched to the Prestige Mid - which on paper has similar weight / swingweight / balance characteristics to the n90. Still, somehow I found them a lot more mute than the n90s, with much less feel for the ball in the stringbed, and my lateness on the forehand was still there. So, I tried the Redondos (same weight, lower swingweight), and then the AG100s (fractionally less weight, lower swingweight again).

The AG100 suits my game. I play S&V singles, and lots of doubles, so I need an accurate stick for serving, low swingweight for quick volleying, and an open 16x19 frame that will help add extra spin on sliced backhand approaches and on deep forehand returns - and the AG100 does that perfectly.

By the same token, those characteristics make it less than ideal for matches spent mostly rallying side-to-side from the baseline, which sounds more like the game you were forced to play (possibly, on clay also?). For that kind of game, the extra mass and swingweight of the Prestige Mid helps put more weight on your ball, so your opponent finds it harder to play those than the relatively lighter ball coming out of the AG100. The answers are, simply, 1) stick to the Prestige Mid for such baseline rallying matches, or 2) add some lead to the AG100 (I suggest, at 9-3 or 10-2 to start with, to see how it feels) to add more stability to the rackethead and bring the mass and swingweight closer to that of the Prestige Mid.

thoughtful post here. :) ciao.

dadozen
07-16-2009, 02:50 PM

Excellent points. And totally agree with the rallying issues. I guess the AG100 is better for players who like a more "front court" game, while the Prestige gives an edge for a baseline game, adding more "weight" to the ball. Maybe that's why you felt the difference.

But, cbor, I still can't believe you're switching your AG100s:(

samster
07-16-2009, 04:15 PM

I would say this assessment is right on.

CBORNANCINI
07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
Thank for all opinions, folks. I am a baseliner clay court player, so I agree with Naylors point of view.

Keifers
07-17-2009, 10:32 AM

Yes. Well said.

The AG100 is one of the most capable -- and fun -- sticks I've hit with in the last 15 years. That said, I've wished it had more weight when I've been up against people who hit very heavy topspin balls, even in the "shorter" doubles game. I've tried adding weight to the hoop, and installed leather grips, but have not added enough yet, apparently.

Ross K
07-17-2009, 02:32 PM

Wow, this says it all!...

I, too, think the AG 100 is a tremendous racket (especially in the areas of serve and maneuverability), but I have had very similar experiences and feelings to naylor and to the OP, and couldn't agree more that the AG isn't perhaps ideally suited to b-line rallying, etc (not stock anyway.) I also don't find it so amazing off the bh side as well tbh.

Post of the day there naylor!

R.

nn
07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
sometime heavier racquets helps in moments were you are swinging lighter racquet incorrectly. I mean with lighter racquet you have to wait little longer otherwise you might be too early or late because you wait little longer.

With heavy racquet even if you are not doing everything right sometime weight helps. One day you are not in great form you still able to get the ball back even if you swing slow but lighter racquet makes you work for that as well.

But any day form or racquet you have to swing right otherwise results will be same.

K90 makes it easy to hit but not fun for long matches. Also you find yourself late in bh when you are hitting with higher rank player.

I feel one should play with 12.1 or 12.2 static weight stick and 7-9 headlight balance with leather to combat both singles and doubles.

ShiroRm
07-17-2009, 11:10 PM
sometime heavier racquets helps in moments were you are swinging lighter racquet incorrectly. I mean with lighter racquet you have to wait little longer otherwise you might be too early or late because you wait little longer.

With heavy racquet even if you are not doing everything right sometime weight helps. One day you are not in great form you still able to get the ball back even if you swing slow but lighter racquet makes you work for that as well.

I agree. I started using the ag100 with added lead and the weight did the most part of the work. I used to hit flat and I had to make compact movements and to pay a lot of attention to the racquet face position to aim the shots and in general, to keep the ball in play.
Now, I play the ag100 in stock form (a part from a leather grip). I try to use a full swing, with a relaxed arm and a grip between eastern and western and pay more attention to the ball than to the racquet face position. As a result, I have more work to do now, but the balls seem to me heavier than before

goosala
07-17-2009, 11:17 PM
My friend that I play with uses the MG Prestige Mid and I use the AG100. I have leaded up my AG100 to 12.1 ounces strung. It plays IMHO very similar but with a little more feel than the MG Prestige. I have hit with his racquets many times so I can give a side by side comparison. The Prestige is just slightly stiffer where as the AG100 is just a little more flexible. The head shapes are very similar and the balances are similar as well. I would say the AG100 is Dunlop's version of the Prestige.

nn
07-18-2009, 12:36 AM
yes AG100 doesn't feel light with leather grip and no additional weight. If you want to add more weight it will come closer to K90 (12.5oz) which make little sense to choose AG100.

AG100 plays best close to stock form (mine has leather & comes to 12.1oz)

goosala
07-18-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow, adding just a leather grip will get you over 12 ounces? I added 12 grams total of lead tape to mine: 6 inches of 1/2 inch tape to the 3 and 9 plus 4 pieces of 1/2 inch tape that are 3 inches long to the grip.

nn
07-18-2009, 11:09 AM
11.3 unstrung = 320
add string 16 gauge weight anywhere from 10 to 14
I take lower side 10 = 320 + 10 = 330
wilson overgrip 4 = 330 +4 = 334
leather grip additional weight 6 = 334+ 6 = 340
dampener 2 = 340 + 2 + 1 (head covering tape) = FINAL 343

If you put 17 or 18 gauge it will vary but 16 has 14 gram of weight from what I know.

nn
07-18-2009, 11:12 AM
Wow, adding just a leather grip will get you over 12 ounces? I added 12 grams total of lead tape to mine: 6 inches of 1/2 inch tape to the 3 and 9 plus 4 pieces of 1/2 inch tape that are 3 inches long to the grip.

when you bought the racqurt did you check unstrung weight?? if it is off then otherwise it should around 11.3 or 11.2 unstrung. After you add string, overgrip, leather grip and dampener you come very close to 12oz