PDA

View Full Version : How much do you spend on tennis (not equipment) ?

firstblud
07-16-2009, 12:29 PM
e.g. lessons, membership, etc

i spent about $1500 on lessons and gorup classes 2 years ago when i started to get into tennis and have really just been playing occasionally with friends since then. after the economy started hitting the pooper, I pulled back on spending on lessons, but now i'm feeling the itch to spend again.

just curious to know how much people pay to improve their tennis? i've been getting a feel for the rates, and they haven't really dropped in this down economy (~$40/hr).

mtommer
07-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Not a dime besides equipment. It is simply too expensive for me.

[osu]ilovecows
07-16-2009, 12:42 PM
same. only money i've spent is on equipment. i have many great players in the area willing to hit with me or give me tips.

user92626
07-16-2009, 01:01 PM
I just spend on gas and car to drive long distances to courts, sport drinks, electricity to surf the web for tips and clips, and a few extra bucks for Tennis Channel, 10 bucks to the group every 4months or so for balls.

tennisdad65
07-16-2009, 02:17 PM
per year:
2 Barricade V's + 2 Superfeet per year ~ $220
Driving to the courts and back = $500
public courts yearly fee = $125
Racquets: I have all I need = $0
Strings .. 5-6 sets of tonic+ natural gut a year = $150 .. now switching to Global gut :)
balls ~35-40 cans per year = $75
Apparel: socks/clothes = $100
fitness/therapy/bandages/ice packs = $50

Total = $1100
Fun - Priceless

fattsoo
07-16-2009, 03:00 PM
Only on tennis equiptments, and sometimes (maybe 2x a year) on indoor court fees

Double bagel
07-16-2009, 04:11 PM
The money I save by not hiring some dummy who will just tell you "...ya know like Federer does it," now goes towards string and apparel...mainly halfway-decent shoes.

Dgpsx7
07-16-2009, 05:07 PM
I have actually never taken a lesson but because of the fact that I look at a players weakness when I play them and I am a lefty who is pretty fast I do ok. Equipment isn't cheap especially because I love rackets but now that I found the racket for me(KPS88) the only real expense is time.
Tennis may be the best game to play your whole life.

MomentumGT
07-16-2009, 05:14 PM
$70 a month for club membership, sports drinks, $40 for a gym membership to get back to my college tennis days, or at least I hope so. Throw in gas on top of that as well.

-Jon

SethIMcClaine
07-16-2009, 06:26 PM
$5 in gas each trip to the courts tuesdays and thursdays (Lifted jeep about 13mpg)
$15 for club dues, plenty of people there willing to give advice and play ball machine :-P

nfor304
07-16-2009, 06:31 PM
nothing except tournament entry fees, travel expenses and equipment

itracbui3
07-16-2009, 08:54 PM
like 10 dollars on waterbottle and rackets and thats pretty much it. i bike to the courts so i save money on gas and i refill water from my house. theres alot of good people that goes to the courts and i just watch them play and they give me advices when i play them. some of them are coaches so i save money on lessons

Nonentity
07-16-2009, 09:09 PM
per month: about 40 for strings( 2 restrings / mo), 10 for balls( 3-4 cans), + gas to get to the court 5 mins away. I buy a new racket and new shoes every year or so...

eyeball
07-16-2009, 09:11 PM
I'm lucky to have three courts outside the building I live in that are free to use for residence. I've been coached by my father and play/practice with my brother and other local residence. not much cost for me other then tennis gear.

NickH87
07-16-2009, 09:29 PM
I always buy tennis balls because I hate playing with deads, so around $13 or so for a 6pack every 2-3 weeks. Gas to the court, I saved a bunch of money on instructors because every monday and wednesday one coach sticks around the courts after he drills the kids and hits around with 3-4 of us. Gives us free tips and advice, cant beat it, he just wants to play with people old enough to hold a rally and is more than welcome to give us a few drills and ways to improve. I just started playing with a new guy who is far more experienced, but wants to help me, so I probably have a good instructor to help me work out the kinks.

Bungalo Bill
07-16-2009, 09:57 PM
The money I save by not hiring some dummy who will just tell you "...ya know like Federer does it," now goes towards string and apparel...mainly halfway-decent shoes.

hahaha, sounds like someone here that we know. :)

"Just do it like they do it."

"Don't worry, you don't need that technical jargon, it will just come naturally, like the pros."

CHOcobo
07-16-2009, 10:10 PM
for lessons and memberships....none. i only buy equipments and shoes. i think it's pretty stupid to pay $20/hr to play tennis while others are free. paying for lessons, i understand why but otherwise it's too much for me to pay as well.