PDA

View Full Version : Returning Fake racquets???

ForehandFiend
07-16-2009, 02:15 PM
:evil:

I bought a racquet from E B A Y, the seller had good feedback but his racquet turned out to be a fake (confirmed by local pro shop). He refunded me the full amount, i contacted him through **** under *How do i return an item and get a refund* but it said "This seller doesn't accept returns".

He emailed me separately though, asking me to send the fake racquet back and offering to cover the shipping costs.

Do you think i should send it back or keep it so that other people don't get scammed?

chilllaxin006
07-16-2009, 02:18 PM
keep it so he doesnt repeat it...

furyoku_tennis
07-16-2009, 02:39 PM
wait...so did you get your money back? if you've got your money back, then you could send it back. if you didn't get your money back yet, then don't send it in, because you'll have given away your only piece of evidence that he sold you a fake.

dr325i
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
wait...so did you get your money back? if you've got your money back, then you could send it back. if you didn't get your money back yet, then don't send it in, because you'll have given away your only piece of evidence that he sold you a fake.

Problems reading???
It clearly states the FULL amount was refunded!

To the OP.
Return the racket, does not belong to you and you paid NOTHING for it.

You should know by now that if it sounds too good to be true, it is probably a fake...

Hidious
07-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Problems reading???
Return the racket, does not belong to you and you paid NOTHING for it.

Exactly.

Il Mostro
07-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Only someone dead from the neck up would have to ask this question. No wait, I guess someone who would actually *buy* one of these obvious fakes is allowed... a lot of bandwidth being wasted with ******** questions lately.

canadave
07-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Only someone dead from the neck up would have to ask this question. No wait, I guess someone who would actually *buy* one of these obvious fakes is allowed... a lot of bandwidth being wasted with ******** questions lately.

There's also been a lot of bandwidth wasted lately putting posters down around here. Why is everyone so smug when answering simple questions?

It's not SO obvious that he should return it, refund or no. An argument could be made that by keeping the racquet, he might be teaching the seller a lesson in ethics ("you unethically sold a fake racquet, so I'm going to unethically get a refund from you AND keep your fake racquet.") Personally I'd return the racquet, but it's a legitimate question for someone to ask.

And as far as buying things off e**y goes, some people don't know any better...all they know is that e**y is a good place to buy things, so why would a racquet be any different? And then they post innocent questions like this, and people jump all over them....:?

Azzurri
07-16-2009, 04:56 PM

zapvor did basically the same thing...he got his money back from a bothced sale and kept the racquet...shame how these people live their lives.

chiru
07-16-2009, 05:55 PM
so before you guys jump all over me, i'm thinking of buying rackets on e-bay as well. the problem is this: they're far cheaper, without being insanely cheaper. it seems like the going price for a new kps88 is $159 which is a pretty significant chunk of change if you are actually on a tight budget (like for instance me...). I'm also mostly trying the racket out (i've demoed it, but didn't have a chance to customize it to my desired specs, without going through too much trouble for a racket that doesn't belong to me).

$160 bucks for a racket i just want to try seems okay. but two questions come up:
1) wha if it's a fake. we've actualy discussed this on the forums a number of times, so i think we're actually okay regarding that. quick check tho, do most pro shops have the ability to tell that easily? how does one go about knowing for sure barring obvious difference like completely different weight or such?

2) what if i have a warranty claim? wilson is really bad at handling warranty stuff when you go as a single person. TW, on the other hand is FANTASTIC (here's my plug) at warranty claims. They take care of all of that in a hurry and make sure you have a racket in no time if something is wrong with your racket. in fact, i almost think of the $40 dollar differential as a cost for warranty.

so yah, im' looking at a 160 e=bay racket, what do you guys think?

some6uy008
07-16-2009, 06:03 PM
I imagine if enough people kept their fake rackets, these sellers are going to stop giving refunds to their customers until they get the racket back. You'll be screwing people who unknowingly walk down the same steps as you did.

Lakers4Life
07-16-2009, 06:15 PM
Also be aware there are a lot of Fake racquets on Craigslist. I see them all the time, same guy posts the same ad every week.

BTW is there a FAQ on how to tell it's fake?

120mphBodyServe
07-16-2009, 06:35 PM
I imagine if enough people kept their fake rackets, these sellers are going to stop giving refunds to their customers until they get the racket back. You'll be screwing people who unknowingly walk down the same steps as you did.

KEEP THE DAMN FAKE!!!!!
Someone should make a website comparing fake racquets to the genuine article..
So this doesn't ever happen....

ForehandFiend
07-16-2009, 09:47 PM
Actually, i'm not even sure that the counterfeit merchant is going to cover the expenses of shipping them back, that process is not protected by paypal and i don't want to lose any money. Plus, his account said that returns weren't accepted.

Lakers4Life
07-16-2009, 10:23 PM
Actually, i'm not even sure that the counterfeit merchant is going to cover the expenses of shipping them back, that process is not protected by paypal and i don't want to lose any money. Plus, his account said that returns weren't accepted.

Well if his ad states "Genuine" and it turns out to be counterfeit. You are covered. If he's going to pay for shipping, he'll send you a return label. It's up to you if you want to send it back.

Did you leave neg feedback on his ID? You can also post in the traders group, so other may not fall for his junk.

Il Mostro
07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
There's also been a lot of bandwidth wasted lately putting posters down around here. Why is everyone so smug when answering simple questions?

It's not SO obvious that he should return it, refund or no. An argument could be made that by keeping the racquet, he might be teaching the seller a lesson in ethics ("you unethically sold a fake racquet, so I'm going to unethically get a refund from you AND keep your fake racquet.") Personally I'd return the racquet, but it's a legitimate question for someone to ask.

And as far as buying things off e**y goes, some people don't know any better...all they know is that e**y is a good place to buy things, so why would a racquet be any different? And then they post innocent questions like this, and people jump all over them....:?

Rationalize all you want. Get a refund; return the goods is SOP if one has a moral compass.

red7flag
07-17-2009, 08:44 AM
I question the "moral compass" comment. I think I would throw the racquet out or give it to needy kids to learn on before I would give it back so that another person can get swindled. The only moral compass issue for me would be if I actually used it after knowing it was a fake or returned it. That the seller does not accept returns is a strong indicator that I would not return it also.
Tony

dr325i
07-17-2009, 08:47 AM
so before you guys jump all over me, i'm thinking of buying rackets on e-bay as well. the problem is this: they're far cheaper, without being insanely cheaper. it seems like the going price for a new kps88 is $159 which is a pretty significant chunk of change if you are actually on a tight budget (like for instance me...). I'm also mostly trying the racket out (i've demoed it, but didn't have a chance to customize it to my desired specs, without going through too much trouble for a racket that doesn't belong to me).

$160 bucks for a racket i just want to try seems okay. but two questions come up:
1) wha if it's a fake. we've actualy discussed this on the forums a number of times, so i think we're actually okay regarding that. quick check tho, do most pro shops have the ability to tell that easily? how does one go about knowing for sure barring obvious difference like completely different weight or such?

2) what if i have a warranty claim? wilson is really bad at handling warranty stuff when you go as a single person. TW, on the other hand is FANTASTIC (here's my plug) at warranty claims. They take care of all of that in a hurry and make sure you have a racket in no time if something is wrong with your racket. in fact, i almost think of the $40 dollar differential as a cost for warranty.

so yah, im' looking at a 160 e=bay racket, what do you guys think?

$160 is not bad and probably the real deal. Check the references.
As previously mentioned, my local Pro shop sells them for less than that, so I would not be too concerned if they sell $40 off the retail...

dr325i
07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
KEEP THE DAMN FAKE!!!!!
Someone should make a website comparing fake racquets to the genuine article..
So this doesn't ever happen....

The fake IS worth something -- if you keep it, you should pay a few bucks for it, otherwise, you're stealing...
Legally, you could end up in Court, there is no proof that the seller "knew" it was fake, especially if his feedback was as good as OP mentioned...

DriveABC
07-17-2009, 10:39 AM
what kind of racket was it? and who?

ForehandFiend
07-17-2009, 12:27 PM
It was a Babolat Aeropro Drive Cortex. I'm waiting for him to send me a return label, otherwise i won't spend money on shipping since there is a chance he will not reimburse me because its not protected by paypal or ****. I won't say his name but its pretty obvious if you search for APDCs who is selling fakes.

Note:

* He did not give me a tracking number for the item in the first place
* "This seller does not accept returns"
* I could get into trouble for shipping a known counterfeit...

braves08
07-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Actually I bought a fake Head Microgel Extreme Pro from a Chinese website and it plays really well. I only got it for $50 so I cannot complain.

Lakers4Life
07-17-2009, 03:05 PM
There is a small tennis shop, run by a Korean guy near me. For some reason he has a ton of Babolat racquets. I don't if this guy makes any money, coz I never see anyone in his store, and he charges an arm and a leg for string. For example, Topspin Cyber Flash, $24.95 plus $15 stringing.

I'm just wondering if he's selling counterfeits, I want to know what a counterfeit looks like.

dadozen
07-17-2009, 03:24 PM
There is a small tennis shop, run by a Korean guy near me. For some reason he has a ton of Babolat racquets. I don't if this guy makes any money, coz I never see anyone in his store, and he charges an arm and a leg for string. For example, Topspin Cyber Flash, $24.95 plus $15 stringing.

I'm just wondering if he's selling counterfeits, I want to know what a counterfeit looks like.

Babolat racquets are the priority targets for faking nowadays simply because Nadal plays with one. If he has a larger number of Babolats than any other brand, then I'd have one step back with his store.

Also, if he is selling that many fake racquets, how would we know the source of his other gear?

dadozen
07-17-2009, 03:30 PM
Actually I bought a fake Head Microgel Extreme Pro from a Chinese website and it plays really well. I only got it for $50 so I cannot complain.

Seriously, but that's the reason chinese people keep making fake racquets. Because of people like you, who don't mind using a fake racquet, with unknown raw material, with unknown consequences to your body, just because you paid less for that.

Please, add to the final price of original products that they spend a lot of TIME and MONEY studying how a simple change would affect it, that's a thing called RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT. People study A LOT to get those jobs. And then people like you simply make their jobs and time spent worthless.

At least you got your racquet. Hooray!

dr325i
07-17-2009, 03:39 PM
Seriously, but that's the reason chinese people keep making fake racquets. Because of people like you, who don't mind using a fake racquet, with unknown raw material, with unknown consequences to your body, just because you paid less for that.

Please, add to the final price of original products that they spend a lot of TIME and MONEY studying how a simple change would affect it, that's a thing called RESEARCH & DEVELOPMENT. People study A LOT to get those jobs. And then people like you simply make their jobs and time spent worthless.

At least you got your racquet. Hooray!

Seriously....do you really believe that the Retail sticks are made of "quality" materials??? If you do, how do you explain me having trouble playing with the poly with the retail racket but absolutely no trouble when playing with the PT57?

johnkidd
07-17-2009, 07:14 PM
My friend bought a APD from here and a couple off the bay (from overseas). I strung the rackets up exactly the same for him and the fake is obvious I plays flexible as heck and feels dead. Pop the cover off the butt cap and you'll see the difference. The fakes have nothing to the inside of the handle and the grips aren't formed with foam. He filed a complaint with Pay Pal and had his funds returned.

I say keep the rackets even if you get a refund. If it drives these guys margins down they'll stop selling them.

Lakers4Life
07-17-2009, 07:17 PM
I was trying to find the fakes on fleabay. One listing kinda jumped out at me. $129 for a APDC, PRE STRUNG And get this, guy states why buy fakes when you can get genuine. Reverse psycology? Too good to be true.