PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Fake Racquets?

revelation
07-16-2009, 02:32 PM
I posted before that I bought two fake APDC's (got the acronym right this time) from 3bay. The seller refunded my money but didn't even ask me to return the racquets, so now I've got these two counterfeits going to waste.

I have no plans to use them for anything competitive, but I've been considering using some lead tape, a new grip, and new strings to try to get them close to authentic specs. Currently they weigh about 10 oz strung and are definitely a few points head-heavy--so adding some weight to the handle might get their overall weight and balance back in line.

Has anyone had any success modifying a counterfeit racquet like this? I know many counterfeits from China are made somewhat close to Babolat's real specifications, so it might not take too much to get these fakes into decent playing shape.

Or are they most likely made from crap material that'll crack or warp soon, and this would just be a waste of money and time?

ckledzepplin
07-16-2009, 02:35 PM
i say just hang them up on the wall for show.

furyoku_tennis
07-16-2009, 02:36 PM
try it out and let us know how it goes. you can also use it to practice custom paint jobs on it.

Zielmann
07-16-2009, 07:35 PM
I think that it's more the materials they're made of that's the problem. Not the specs. I would never trust to string up and try a fake frame, no matter what I did with it. (wait, they're likely hollow, you could try filling them with concrete... that might do something).

So yeah, keep them as a momento. Or like the guy above me said, try your hand a paint-jobbing them.