PDA

View Full Version : How to hit sidespin when returning a ball with lots of pace?

ubermeyer
07-16-2009, 08:25 PM
I am trying to learn how to hit sidespin slices. I have had some success but only when hitting a ball that is flat and very slow (the kind of ball only my 7-year old brother gives me). I would like to learn how to hit sidespin when returning a fast ball such as a serve, or really when returning any ball with pace on it. I know a ball with sidespin can be a very confusing ball to return, so that's why I want to learn it.

pvaudio
07-16-2009, 08:35 PM
Outside of your serve, sidespin isn't a very valuable weapon. It's very easy to predict where the ball is going to bounce because of it's trajectory. Instead, develop a slice which will slow down the pace of the point and give you time to recover. Plus, most lower level players can't handle slice shots hit to them because they land deep, bounce low and ruin their rhythm from ripping topspin groundies.

edit: Sidespin as in hacking at the ball from side to side underneath, or on one side of the ball is what I'm talking about. A bit of sidespin on a dropshot isn't what I'm talking about.

ubermeyer
07-16-2009, 09:59 PM
Sound advice, pvaudio, but I already can do a regular slice. I would like to learn sidespin just to mix things up a few times, and I believe it would be a better rhythm-breaker than a normal slice.

Also, when I played with my lil' bro, I tried out some sidespin, and the only way you could tell which way it would bounce was by looking at my racket. It followed a relatively normal slice trajectory, but then bounced sharply to the right/left, depending on how I hit it. Of course, he was giving me easy balls since he's 7, but I was wondering how to replicate this if I am playing against a good player.

plasma
07-17-2009, 03:00 AM
you can't don't try, against lousy club players you can give 90% of the people on public courts a headache with a bit of sidespin...
try watching steffi graff, she was a master at slace and mixed in an occasional side carve.
With the max 200g's and ps 85's they used it was easier. Your a fool to try sidespin against a 5.0-5.5 with a babolat pure drive or aeropro. Better to conterpunch with perfect pace and let them overhit themselves out of position.
I do it in boxing too, knock yourself out and take a haymaker desperate approach technically. Super beginners like to play with slice, then sidespin, then topspin...eventually hopefully the find leverage, internal motion, and perfect athletic mechanics beyond tennis...
but first it's 15 years of bs spins and tricks....I miss those days of experimentation when the court was a 9-5 phase 3 lab, now it's just a plush lounge...

featherlight
07-17-2009, 04:49 AM
try to hit the side of the ball
thus creating short angles

SupremeV
07-17-2009, 05:28 AM
I think you are making this a bit complicated. Fill in the blank....

How do you hit topspin? By Hitting from low to high. How do you hit underspin? By hitting from high to low. How do you hit side spin? ________

If you can do a normal slice consistently, it should be pretty straight forward. For a normal slice, you are pushing through the ball more resulting in a low-pentrating ball. If you want more side spin, same concept except you want to exagerate a " \ " direction. I'm sure others can provide a better analogy. Honestly for best results, just head to to the tennis court with a friend and practice that kind of motion.

PS: someone said about hitting the side of the ball which is incorrect enless you want the ball to fly to an adjacent court.