PDA

View Full Version : Spotting your target

SethIMcClaine
07-16-2009, 07:33 PM
Was playing net in double today and started noticing I had the tendency to volley right back to the opponents instead of to open space. Mid set I started making a concious decision of where I was going to return the ball if it came to me right before the oppent made a return (basically concentrating where the two players were and what would be my best lanes).

I was wondering if anyone could make suggestions to this strategy. Is it a good time to be looking since players will start moving after contact as the competition gets better? Tips/Suggestions?

plasma
07-17-2009, 02:04 AM
latest eye tracking software helps..I think I can download it at Seth is a genius.com, that's the best damn point I ever heard. I am a ceritfied pro coach and never considered that. Are you a grad student in an ivy league school or something???

fuzz nation
07-17-2009, 05:10 AM
You could consider the mild adjustment of hitting right back at your opponents, but just pop the ball down on their feet. Up at net, when we get a sitter that we can put away, we pretty much know it, right? If that garage door isn't there for us to hit through, there's always the option of giving the other guys a low ball that will force them to hit up. That will create opportunities for you and your partner to take points.

Better doubles teams understand positioning and will make a more consistent effort to deny your team many openings. If you can be the team that is hitting down across the net more than your opponents, you'll own the initiative in a lot more points. If the open court isn't there, remember to stay patient and keep the ball under the strike zone of the opposition.

SethIMcClaine
07-17-2009, 10:00 AM
latest eye tracking software helps..I think I can download it at Seth is a genius.com, that's the best damn point I ever heard. I am a ceritfied pro coach and never considered that. Are you a grad student in an ivy league school or something???

Ha ha thanks

LeeD
07-17-2009, 10:46 AM
No need to spot volleys in doubles....
Always hit directly up the middle, low, and just deeper than service line.
Once they clog the middle, most never do, go down the line or out wide.

SethIMcClaine
07-17-2009, 08:13 PM
No need to spot volleys in doubles....
Always hit directly up the middle, low, and just deeper than service line.
Once they clog the middle, most never do, go down the line or out wide.
You notice you just contradicted yourself right? How are you going to know when to go down the line or out wide vs up the middle without spotting the shot by noticing they have clogged the middle?

naylor
07-17-2009, 08:54 PM
Usually, placing the ball between both opponents is the best play, particularly when they're both level (both at net, or both at baseline). This is particularly so when they're both at the back but you've had to play a defensive volley - not so much because they may both leave it (but this happens, sometimes), but because it narrows their angles (here, you and your partner have to cover the obvious pass down the middle, between the two of you). If you play a defensive volley to one or other side, it's clear who of the two opponents will take it, and you also open up angles.

Playing between the opponents is also a good tactic when they're one back one front - the classic example is your partner serves wide and you volley the return into the gap (quite often, it doesn't have to be the most clinical put-away).

The one variant is when you pick up a weaker return (so your volley is a put-away). If both the opponents are at the back, then you can angle it away (here, I would suggest you keep it simple and simply punch it down from outside to in - i.e., for a forehand volley, you put it wide of the forehand of the opponent on the deuce court). But when one of your opponents is forward, it's quite appropriate to punch it down to his feet - get the ball past him and you've won the point; if you aim higher, you can overcook it and put it out, or you could end up placing it at his rackethead-height and he manages to play a quick reflex volley that puts your team in trouble.