PDA

View Full Version : How the hell do I deal with the Lleyton Hewitt of my circuit?

flyinghippos101
07-16-2009, 09:07 PM
This annoying brat assumes the role of "l'il Agitator and acts like a Grade A
c*** (ala Lleyton Hewitt) He fist pumps on every single point (and when I mean every single point, I mean including unforced errors) He grunts ultra loud and when I tell him to shut up, he grunts even louder, and throws off my concentration. He ends every single game he wins with a loud "COME ON" and it's torture to play him. Anyone offer any kind of way to block out players like these? Assuming that these types of players are sparsly spread across tennis circuits around the world.

aimr75
07-16-2009, 09:09 PM
he probably wins as he gets under peoples skin.. and most people dont play well when they are angry.. block it out.. and one way to shut him up is to win

klementine79
07-16-2009, 09:13 PM
You give him compliments when he makes a good shot and clap your palm on your racquet. You be as cordial as can be when he is on.

When he hits an unforced error, you stay silent and don't even acknowledge his existence.

When you hit a good shot, don't make any reaction, as well as when you make an error.

Players like him strive for attention-- so when he deserves it -- give it to him. Otherwise--- nothing. Those players feed on emotions-- their own and yours. Act like you've been there before.

ohplease
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I like mocking mini-lleytons with my own COME-ON!!!s. Especially off stupid stuff like mishit winners.

3lowdown
07-16-2009, 09:15 PM
You give him compliments when he makes a good shot and clap your palm on your racquet. You be as cordial as can be when he is on.

When he hits an unforced error, you stay silent and don't even acknowledge his existence.

When you hit a good shot, don't make any reaction, as well as when you make an error.

Players like him strive for attention-- so when he deserves it -- give it to him. Otherwise--- nothing. Those players feed on emotions-- their own and yours. Act like you've been there before.

I do exactly that but even when they hit winners i dont acknowledge them. Why do you say you should complement their shot? :neutral:

klementine79
07-16-2009, 09:18 PM
I do exactly that but even when they hit winners i dont acknowledge them. Why do you say you should complement their shot? :neutral:

Because it throws them off and gets them to stop playing with anger or becoming emotional. They seem to have earned your respect and they start to calm-down and they are not used to being settled and calm. It's out of their element.

flyinghippos101
I really have no idea how today's pros contain themselves from beating the crap out of pro agitators

RoddickAce

I guess maybe it makes them feel bad for screaming really loud when you're making a kind gesture to them.

klementine79
07-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Also, if he likes to stay behind the base-line, wear him out early.

Throw him 'junk'- short balls, drop-shots and lobs.

Push him around. Make him run. Change the pace.

nfor304
07-16-2009, 10:15 PM
maybe every time he does it take as much time before the next point as possible...

tennisdad65
07-16-2009, 11:17 PM
If he acts like Hewitt, you should 'Federer' him. :)

Solat
07-16-2009, 11:20 PM
i kind of agree with the ethos of playing mr nice guy here, almost over the top. Try and talk with him between ends and compliment him as much as you can on his game, talk of how "envious" you are of his strokes. From his perspective he will find it harder to fight and get pumped up if he isn't in a battle, so if you can make him feel like there isn't much intrinsic reward for beating you then he has less to play for.

I know that I don't play as well against a tough opponent if they arent taking it as serious as I am, when I want a war and they want a chat.

imalil2gangsta4u
07-16-2009, 11:47 PM

Perfect post, explaining exactly how i would act. Ive had to play people were just plain idiots. Depending on how i feel that day, i can either go with the mr nice guy act and make them feel horrible, or walk to the other side of the net and try to tie their lips/hands together :D. Usually the first one.

Dgpsx7
07-17-2009, 12:11 AM
I have someone who I play who does many annoying things when we plays me like messing up the throw on his serve a few times per game. Making noises after he makes a good point. Hitting as hard as he can during the warm up so I cannot warm up because all his balls go into the net or go out. There is a possibility that he is not doing this stuff on purpose but it used to throw me off. The best thing to do imo is keep cool and do not show any disgust. Every time the person you are playing does something you don't like just pretend you are indifferent. This does not let the other guy know that he is getting to you which discourages the things he does.

A more advanced level of this which I only bring out when the other player is being ridiculous on court is I just start laughing at the things he does. Not a nervous or angry laugh but a true laugh of enjoyment. This makes the player who is trying to ruin your game lose confidence which helps a lot.

Luckily almost everyone who I play often has great court manner so I just get to focus on my game and nothing else. I have only met one person like this.

Nonentity
07-17-2009, 12:16 AM
He obviously is very emotional about tennis, but really, every one and their granma yells "COME ON!". Next time you hit a winner, shout "SHAZZAAAM!" or "SHAMONE!!" (grab groin).

federer_15
07-17-2009, 12:17 AM
You can always do the same back to him but that probably won't work.

I think the best thing is to annoy him and if you happen to get a netcord that drops on his side go "C'MON" back to him.

Or you go "VAMOS" or "ALLEZ" to confuse him as they are foreign languages.

Steady Eddy
07-17-2009, 12:40 AM
When you beat him in a match, (or even a game), throw your racquet over the fence, fall to your knees, and then jump over the net to shake his hand. Wave to the umpire, (well, where there would be an umpire), and maybe cry a little.

Maybe he'll think to himself, "This guy's a little out of perspective?", and that's the point.

Toxicmilk
07-17-2009, 01:17 AM
Start bouncing the ball, like, 10000000000 times. when he falls asleep and you ace him. yell COME ONNNNNNNN LOLOLOLOLOLOL (not laughing, actually say "lawllawlawletc" YOU SUCK

Djokovicfan4life
07-17-2009, 12:16 PM
You could always just not play with him, you know.

cesarmo03
07-17-2009, 11:39 PM
dude u have to watch some games of mario cilic that dude is cold i mean in wimbledon querrey-cilic match Mario was doing awful mistake but that doesnt mean he cant focus and win the match (he did it by the way). so dont loose your concentration, dont watch your opponent when you make a mistake. do a inter monologue explaining what u did wrong and what you have to do in the next point. and play point by point.

fattsoo
07-18-2009, 01:19 AM
I like mocking mini-lleytons with my own COME-ON!!!s. Especially off stupid stuff like mishit winners.

LOL, i like this one

prattle128
07-18-2009, 01:56 AM
This annoying brat assumes the role of "l'il Agitator and acts like a Grade A
c*** (ala Lleyton Hewitt) He fist pumps on every single point (and when I mean every single point, I mean including unforced errors) He grunts ultra loud and when I tell him to shut up, he grunts even louder, and throws off my concentration. He ends every single game he wins with a loud "COME ON" and it's torture to play him. Anyone offer any kind of way to block out players like these? Assuming that these types of players are sparsly spread across tennis circuits around the world.

hahaha that was so funny to read. well i dont really have any advice to offer you, other then try and not let all of his vocal outbursts bother you. he uses emotion to help himself play strong, and to make you play weak. just gotta fight through it.

nethawkwenatchee
07-18-2009, 10:11 PM
dude u have to watch some games of mario cilic that dude is cold i mean in wimbledon querrey-cilic match Mario was doing awful mistake but that doesnt mean he cant focus and win the match (he did it by the way). so dont loose your concentration, dont watch your opponent when you make a mistake. do a inter monologue explaining what u did wrong and what you have to do in the next point. and play point by point.

You make a very good point. A guy like Marin Cilic makes a bunch of mistakes but knows deep down that his mistakes are over with as soon as the point is over. You have to have a mindset that the next point is going to go your way. Block out you're own feelings about your opponent, about the last ball, about the set you are down, ETC. and keep the mindset that the next point is yours and you'll do what ever it takes.