PDA

View Full Version : Rate my serve part 4583579843

NickH87
07-16-2009, 08:15 PM
Okay so heres the skinny, I am two summers into tennis and I shot this video a couple days ago. I am kind of rusty because I hadnt been practicing serves for about a week and didnt play at all either.

http://vimeo.com/5635685

Music for your enjoyment

itracbui3
07-16-2009, 09:14 PM
if you want to increase your serve speed, try increase the racket speed by swinging faster. and for your flat serve, try throwing the ball just a bit more infront of you. i also noticed at the last serve, you attempted to do a kick. if you want to do a kick serve then just throw the ball slightly behind you and brush the racket up from 7-1. (imagine the ball is a clock). i also played tennis for 2 years and i have developed a decent speed flat serve and a nice kick serve by watching the pros do it and look at fuzzyyellowballs.com

NickH87
07-16-2009, 09:21 PM
if you want to increase your serve speed, try increase the racket speed by swinging faster. and for your flat serve, try throwing the ball just a bit more infront of you. i also noticed at the last serve, you attempted to do a kick. if you want to do a kick serve then just throw the ball slightly behind you and brush the racket up from 7-1. (imagine the ball is a clock). i also played tennis for 2 years and i have developed a decent speed flat serve and a nice kick serve by watching the pros do it and look at fuzzyyellowballs.com

I am uploading another video as we speak, I found a longer video and condensed the decent serves and cut out the crappy stuff...balls were dead...with freshies my serves have a lot more pace, I was surprised as to how slow it seemed.

NickH87
07-16-2009, 10:00 PM
Okay I updated it with a longer better video....critique me and tear me a new hole!

Nonentity
07-16-2009, 11:27 PM
-you need to toss more ahead of you, and explode forward, landing a few steps inside the baseline after you serve. Your right foot should end up going forward, not hang out to the side.

-some people say lifting your left toes up before the serve is a bad habit, so you might want to change that.

- close your shoulders more before the serve, and rotate them as you swing.

-before you serve, stop all movement. start your serves from a completely still position, concentrate for a moment, then serve.

plasma
07-17-2009, 02:13 AM
stop serving so hard. Do it 50% for a few weeks and learn proper form. More of a backhand grip, looser motion.,..loose as a goose baby.
You can bench twice as much as me but are blown away by my service pace because it's a snap, whip, swing, weight of the racquet, mometum, behinds the back thing....capisco??? BIg guys like you blessed with strong backs and shoulders can't stop friggin using them, my fighters with your body type are no different.
Relax the arm work before you hurt yourself and start using the core,
stop frying panning the ball, this is why you need lessons people!!! To learn the smooth shoulder turn back and forward....
if you were a woman I'd tear you a new one and make them both one, most I can do for a guy though is give you some tips but good luck with that request ..hope you enjoyed the technichal critique though...

pvaudio
07-17-2009, 03:59 AM
Oh my Christ, stop. My wrist is dying just seeing that eastern grip serve. Learn continental grip serving STAT, otherwise you are going to grind your wrist into dust.

NickH87
07-17-2009, 07:57 AM
stop serving so hard. Do it 50% for a few weeks and learn proper form. More of a backhand grip, looser motion.,..loose as a goose baby.
You can bench twice as much as me but are blown away by my service pace because it's a snap, whip, swing, weight of the racquet, mometum, behinds the back thing....capisco??? BIg guys like you blessed with strong backs and shoulders can't stop friggin using them, my fighters with your body type are no different.
Relax the arm work before you hurt yourself and start using the core,
stop frying panning the ball, this is why you need lessons people!!! To learn the smooth shoulder turn back and forward....
if you were a woman I'd tear you a new one and make them both one, most I can do for a guy though is give you some tips but good luck with that request ..hope you enjoyed the technichal critique though...

Lol you know im not very strong, Ive had bad shoulder injuries when I was young so I never worked out up until about a year ago, I can only bench 90lbs and I weigh 155. I see what you are talking about though about trying to muscle through the serve, I am not going to pay for lessons though, I have a way of getting a coach to help me out for free so I will try to work it out that way. I dont have money to spend on things like that.

Thank you for the critique, i will keep everything in mind.

NickH87
07-17-2009, 07:59 AM
-you need to toss more ahead of you, and explode forward, landing a few steps inside the baseline after you serve. Your right foot should end up going forward, not hang out to the side.

-some people say lifting your left toes up before the serve is a bad habit, so you might want to change that.

- close your shoulders more before the serve, and rotate them as you swing.

-before you serve, stop all movement. start your serves from a completely still position, concentrate for a moment, then serve.

Will do, I noticed the left foot thing watching myself before I uploaded it. I used to toss the ball in court, but I stopped for whatever reason, I had a lot more success doing it, I will go back to it.

ubermeyer
07-17-2009, 10:47 AM
that's pretty nice for 2 summers, i have played for 2 summers also

volusiano
07-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Oh my Christ, stop. My wrist is dying just seeing that eastern grip serve. Learn continental grip serving STAT, otherwise you are going to grind your wrist into dust.

Ditto here. The first thing you need to learn/fix on your serve is to switch over to the continental grip.

NickH87
07-18-2009, 08:49 AM
Ditto here. The first thing you need to learn/fix on your serve is to switch over to the continental grip.

I am going to look at the service videos on fuzzyyellowballs and see what you guys are talking about. I am not too familiar with all of the grips, like I know the names but I dont know on what bevels to hold the racquet and what not.

pvaudio
07-18-2009, 09:51 AM
These are the two grips that we're discussing here:

Eastern: put the racquet flat on the ground, grab the handle, and pick it up. The racquet face should still be parallel to the ground. If so, you're holding an eastern forehand grip. Also called the pancake grip because your palm is flat on the widest bevel (the side in line with the racquet face). Can also be found by placing your hand flat on the face of the strings, and then sliding them down to the grip and grasping it. This is what you're currently using. Stop it. This is one of the two traditional forehand grips along with semi-western.

Semi-western: is found by doing the same approach as finding the eastern grip, but instead of just picking up the racquet off the ground as it lies, pick up the grip as though it's the handle of a frying pan.

Continental: Balance the racquet on it's edge on a table, and pick up the racquet by the grip again, making sure the racquet face is perpendicular to the ground. You are now holding a continental grip. Also called the hand-shake grip or hammer grip because it can be found by either "shaking hands" with the racquet or picking it up like you'd pick up a hammer. This is the standard serve, volley and slice grip to use. It's the most versatile grip in all of tennis, so learn it immediately.

yoh4u
07-18-2009, 04:45 PM
once you switch to continental grip you will wonder how you ever used any other grip