PDA

View Full Version : Babolat Aeropro Drive Cortex (standard) Review

Topspin24
07-16-2009, 11:08 PM
I was interested in this racket and i was wondering what were player's experience with this stick. What were the pros and cons, what strings worked for them, and their NTRP.

viva la rafa
07-17-2009, 12:19 AM
this racket is great for a topspin baseline player..
i play with a western grip with alot of topspin and i use luxilon big banger ALU power rough and the spin is enormous with this string..
i also like PHT on the apdc it plays great but loses tension quick like any poly
i have never played any usta tournaments so idk my ntrp but i am #1 singles on the #1 team in our high school division so i would guess a low 4.0

rlau
07-17-2009, 12:46 AM
I assume you already read this:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/reviews/BAPDC/BAPDCReview.html

boilerfan
07-17-2009, 07:03 AM
I used the racquet for a season. It took a little while to get grooved with it, but it was a really nice racquet and it was arm friendly. It is the type of racquet that you really need to fit your game around though. The ball tends to fly some with it, so you really need to hit topspin on everything. I never found a groove with my flat backhand or a slice backhand. I also never found a groove on the serve, which is my biggest weapon. If you have solid topspin groundies on both sides, it would probably fit you really well. If you like to pick up a racquet and automatically play great with it, it might not be for you. For me at least, it needed an adjustment period, but once you got grooved with it, it would feel nice. Basically I altered my game to where I would run around my backhand and hit heavy inside-out forehands all match. I won some matches doing that, but I am too old for that style now, so I switched racquets :) I am a fairly high 4.5 player

Oh yeah, it also volleyed surprisingly well. I didn't expect it to be solid at the net, but it was.

The strings also made a difference when trying to control the amount of "flying" since control can be an issue with the racquet. I personally played better when it was strung tightly with all poly, but you need to experiment to find the sweet spot for you. This is one of those racquets where you will string it one way, hit with it and say "This thing sucks, I can't control anything"..then change string setups and feel like you can't miss with it. There was very little middle ground for me.

Rhinosaur
07-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I'm demoing one of these next week, I'll let you know how I find it. I'm about a 3.0-3.5 that mixes a two-handed topspin backhand and a heavy slice backhand and a relatively flat forehand.

DownTheLine
07-17-2009, 10:04 AM
I am about a 4.5 player. I use this stick I like it but it looks like you could break it, it doesn't have that "stiff" look. It's hard to explain kind of...

It hits with heavy top spin and has a fair amount of power.

Power Player
07-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Don't string it tight with poly. Use more spin and keep the poly around 54-58#s. It will be better on your arm.