PDA

View Full Version : what's your first serve percentage?

itracbui3
07-16-2009, 11:45 PM
title says it all

SystemicAnomaly
07-16-2009, 11:54 PM
About 70% or better. But then I play primarily doubles and I'm more interested in starting a rally rather than hitting service winners.

naylor
07-17-2009, 12:16 AM
About 70% or better. But then I play primarily doubles and I'm more interested in starting a rally...

Like you, I play doubles primarily, so I ease off on first serves and go for placement rather than pure pace. My first serve percentage is around 80%+ - I get through most of my service games serving first serves only. But also, I tend to win most of my service games to love or 15, either through service winners or 3-shot rallies - I much prefer short rallies! So far this winter season I have played 3 club doubles matches (each match is two 3-setters, one mens and one mixed doubles), and have only been broken once in 14 sets.

prattle128
07-17-2009, 12:22 AM
you guys are too lucky

itracbui3
07-17-2009, 12:45 AM
my first serves are mostly placement and aces. its around like 85mphish? so it goes in consistently i get like around 80% first serves in most of the time :D

SystemicAnomaly
07-17-2009, 01:01 AM
you guys are too lucky

Yeah, it must be luck.

Like you, I play doubles primarily, so I ease off on first serves and go for placement rather than pure pace. My first serve percentage is around 80%+ - I get through most of my service games serving first serves only. But also, I tend to win most of my service games to love or 15, either through service winners or 3-shot rallies - I much prefer short rallies! So far this winter season I have played 3 club doubles matches (each match is two 3-setters, one mens and one mixed doubles), and have only been broken once in 14 sets.

If I'm playing in cold weather, I'll make more of an effort to get 1st serves in and get some rallies going. These old joints have a difficult time in cold weather if points are short or too much time is spent on 2nd serves. When I put my mind to it, I'll sometimes serve 3 full games w/o having to resort to a 2nd serve.

If I'm playing with someone who is getting less than 1/3 on their 1st serves in, I'll throw down a challenge. I'll say, "ok I just served 2 games w/o using a 2nd serve, let's see what you can do". Sometimes that push will get them up to a more respectable percentage.

On the other hand, there are the occasional days when I'm playing when I'm sleep-deprived. On those days, my toss is all over the place and my 1st serve suffers -- 50% or worse.

SystemicAnomaly
07-17-2009, 01:14 AM
I recall watching Andre Agassi quite a while ago playing after coming back from a wrist injury. I'm fairly certain that he played & won an early round match without having to hit a single 2nd serve.

plasma
07-17-2009, 02:26 AM
depends on the opponet, doubles or singles, type of play, how my shoulder feels, the racquet I am using, and the wind blowing inexplicably on a continet far away...but generally in th 60's. My second serve is decent too so I don't have to be toooo acurate.

Element54
07-17-2009, 03:48 AM
My 1st serve % is so bad, I may as well do a 2nd serve instead.

Andres
07-17-2009, 08:30 AM
Singles? I must say 60-65% or so
Doubles? I try hitting it at 75+ , but it's not always the case.

Let's settle in 62% for singles and 74% for doubles :)

10nistennis
07-17-2009, 09:17 AM
For singles, my first serves are actually around 60%-65%. I don't go for an all out ace. I go for more placement, but still put a lot of pace on it.

Doubles, my first serves would be in the 70%-80%. This is because I mix up more kick serves into my first serves, therefore making my first serves more consistent.

dennis10is
07-17-2009, 09:19 AM
Zero,

I once lost a set in a tie-breaker.

Double faulted 24 in a row but I broke the guy 6 times so we went into tie-breaks.

So, for that set I was

Zero on the first
and zero on the second.

I was a kid and on vacation. It was a pickup game at the local park, so he guy, an adult, probably thought I was being a you know what.

SlapShot
07-17-2009, 09:22 AM
Much like a few of the posters here, my serve % varies by type of tennis - singles, I'll go for more and typically sit around 60%. In doubles, closer to 80%.

LeeD
07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Doesn't really matter if you have a real second serve.
Sometimes, in singles, less than 10%, but I still win my service. Usually, when I really need it, a little better. For me, better to intimidate and force the returner to shorten up and hope for a return rather than allow them to swing out on a forceful return.
Second, I can swing it wide, into the body, slice into the body, twist wide and into the body, so I can keep it away from their strongest shot should I need to.

ubermeyer
07-17-2009, 11:51 AM
my 1st serve % is probably around 99 since I am a pusher.
99% is actually pretty sad for a pushed serve

GuyClinch
07-17-2009, 07:56 PM
Heh. You shouldn't play doubles with me. My serve is pretty good but I double fault more then I should. I take that idea that you should swing harder on your second serve then your first seriously.

I believe that if you want to improve your game you need to try to hit tougher shots even though you might fail.

Pete

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
07-17-2009, 09:37 PM
well, it depends if i dont need to hit a bomb on my first serve.
if i can win the points with hitting a topspin-slice serve as my first serve, why not? its more consistent, i can put a crap load of spin on it so it kicks up differently each time.
sometimes it can be 90-95%