PDA

View Full Version : Home made Head MG handle modification?

GTI
07-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Hi,
Has any of you made "DoItYourself" modifications to head rectangular handle? Trying to make it to something like wilson shape, any approved tips?

Thanks,
GTI

Blade0324
07-17-2009, 06:33 AM
I have done this with my frames. Basically what I I did was remove the grip down to the pallet and then used my dremmel with a sanding drum to sand down the top and bottom bevel (if you are holding the racquet like you would hit with it). I mount the frame in a vise and then carefully shave down these 2 bevels. I keep the speed pretty slow on the dremmel and go slowly.
This will make those bevels slightly wider and also make the over all proportions more round. Works very well and I've had excellent success with this. Just go slow and take your time. Only takes about a half hour.

0d1n
07-17-2009, 06:44 AM
I think a better (and totally reversible) method is to add some material to the #3 and #6 bevels. I usually use head tape to do it. 2, 3 layers on each side will do it for me.
Since I use a 1hbh I only add 10 cm strips of tape starting from the buttcap. This keeps the mass down to a minimum.
If you want to get more technical then thin pieces of balsa wood glued in the same place would do it also.
I find the "head tape" method to be the cheapest and the fastest...and the tape already has glue on it ;).

Blade0324
07-17-2009, 06:55 AM
Od1n, that would work as well, I just prefer to make the size slightly smaller instead of bigger and not add the weight. Just different strokes I guess. Anyway good idea on your part too.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
07-17-2009, 07:14 AM
well balsa wood is veyr very light. it would not make a noticible difference in weight. but one thing is, since it is very light and brittle, you might put indents in it if your not careful

anirut
07-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Take a look here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=203400

Hope this helps.

dr325i
07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Take a look here: http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=203400

Hope this helps.

Although your post/thread was super helpful and to amazing detail, it does not address the OP question -- reshape it from Head-like to more wilson-like shape. Your description shows how to add the grip size keeping its original shape.

babar
07-17-2009, 11:42 AM
Very timely post on the MG Rad grip shape.

I recently tried a demo and played with the handle and grip to see how I could get it to round out more. I like using a contour grip, so the Head shape makes it really flat and wide. That shape is harder to use on my one-handed backhand grip. It is really nice for every other stroke for me.

So, I used duct tape to change the handle under the grip and obtain the desired shape for me. I had a little extra weight since I wrapped a few extra layers around the butt cap. I liked the new balance very much.

Good Luck.

anirut
07-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Although your post/thread was super helpful and to amazing detail, it does not address the OP question -- reshape it from Head-like to more wilson-like shape. Your description shows how to add the grip size keeping its original shape.

Read it carefully. It is meant to alter the grip SHAPE.

Yes, the method does increase the size too.

If you want to alter the shape ONLY while having it the same size, then, remould the grip. Or, use my method, and sand off some parts (and you could possibly screw up the whole pallet).

Weight you priorities well and work on them.

Fed Kennedy
07-17-2009, 06:01 PM
I second the head tape on top and bottom bevel method. It takes 5 min and is extremely comfortable

geesechops
07-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Buy Wilson shaped pallets. Or call RPNY to do it for you. Changeable pallets is one of the great benefits of HEAD racquets.

NLBwell
07-17-2009, 09:00 PM
I think a better (and totally reversible) method is to add some material to the #3 and #6 bevels. I usually use head tape to do it. 2, 3 layers on each side will do it for me.
Since I use a 1hbh I only add 10 cm strips of tape starting from the buttcap. This keeps the mass down to a minimum.
If you want to get more technical then thin pieces of balsa wood glued in the same place would do it also.
I find the "head tape" method to be the cheapest and the fastest...and the tape already has glue on it ;).

This is what I do (head tape) except since I am also trying to add weight to my racket I put the tape all the way up the pallet. (Then lead strips inside the tube under the pallet and some on the head.) Intentionally bought a size smaller grip than I want to play with so I could do this.

dr325i
07-18-2009, 04:55 AM
Buy Wilson shaped pallets. Or call RPNY to do it for you. Changeable pallets is one of the great benefits of HEAD racquets.

wheeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee???????? ???????????

star 5 15
07-18-2009, 12:19 PM
google RPNY and you'll see there website. thre phone number is actually (212)980-1555. They advertise on their website that they have prince/wilson homemade head pallets.

dr325i
07-19-2009, 07:43 AM
google RPNY and you'll see there website. thre phone number is actually (212)980-1555. They advertise on their website that they have prince/wilson homemade head pallets.

Blah...
Of course they do and they will NOT sell it to you. THe only way to get them is to send your racket to them for the customization. Fair? Yes, but expensive and takes some time...

GTI
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Thanks, I'm trying your tips! And had some success with added material on flatter sides. Result: better but not happy enough...

I have now head mg instinct and with added weight found it quite good for me. One thing still bothers and it's the grip shape. It has removable pallet but i'm not sure can I modify it? I mean can I remove the pallet and sand down the top and bottom bevel like Blade0324 told, will the old pallet still fit?

The best choice is if anyone knows shop in europe where I could order new wilson shape pallet. Help please?

Ps. I'm desperate because tried many rackets recently due to arm injury. MG instinct is quite near what I'm looking for. Last 10 months: babolat pure storm (stable but low powered) and PST (not enough manouverable for me), wilson kpro open (quite good with lead tape), yonex rds002 (too unstable at net), Kblade98 (nice but too head heavy), APDC (balls fly sometimes, lost my serve).

I think I'm finding racket like babolat pure storm with bit more power and little less flex frame. Around 320-330g and 4-7 HL. Dont know if it exists, mission impossible?? (I'm tall guy ~4 ntrp, need more control that power)...

Maybe instinct is coming close enough due to some grip mod. Thanks in advance for any help,
GTI

radical pro joe
08-01-2009, 01:06 PM
Two overgrips give it the perfect shape for me.

Gugafan
08-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I also find the rectangular grip shape, less then compromising for my sw forehand. Recently I purchased a head racket with a grip one size smaller then I'm used to. The smaller grip certainly makes the grip feel less rectangular, and with 1 or 2 overgrips you can maintain the required grip size.

I am currently using a grip 2 (babolat leather and 1 overgrip)...The 2 flatter bevels certainly feel less pronounced in my hand, then when I was using a grip 3.

AG100
08-01-2009, 05:00 PM
Just add two bevels of plastic (CD cover plastic) about 3 mm thick. Cut it to the length of about 12cm, by 1cm wide, and super glue it from the edge of the but cap at the bottom on the flat sides of the handle, and you will round off your grip. It also doesn't make the grip size larger. Just rounder. Then re-grip the leather and wallah...

AG100
08-01-2009, 05:01 PM
I have some new Dunlop frames arriving in the next few days. I will take pics of the process for you to see...