View Full Version : Federer Footwork Training

jasonbourne
07-17-2009, 10:17 AM
http://www.tennis-tube.net/play.php?vid=1047

Bungalo Bill
07-17-2009, 10:49 AM

Nice! Love it!!

Footwork training is a must for every player and it does NOT come naturally. You got to work at it.

I liked that Federer kept his feet apart predominatly throughout the training. Very important.

1. Jump rope.

2. Butt kicks.

3. Sprints.

4. Footwork drills.

5. Plyos.

6. Hand-eye-foot coordination

Puts to shame all those people that provide advice here telling everyone it all comes "natural' or "just do what the pros do".

Yeah, get it on!

btangel
07-17-2009, 11:01 AM
wow those are some cool exercises

jrod
07-17-2009, 11:17 AM
Puts to shame all those people that provide advice here telling everyone it all comes "natural' or "just do what the pros do".

Exactly BB. It's laughable to think all these hackers sitting at their keyboards espousing about how they are naturally gifted when it comes to footwork. I think it's pretty clear that Federer has more natural talent than the collective sum of all posters here on TT and yet he still works his ***** off on footwork drills.

Beautiful stuff.

Bungalo Bill
07-17-2009, 11:24 AM
Exactly BB. It's laughable to think all these hackers sitting at their keyboards espousing about how they are naturally gifted when it comes to footwork. I think it's pretty clear that Federer has more natural talent than the collective sum of all posters here on TT and yet he still works his ***** off on footwork drills.

Beautiful stuff.

Yup, I agree.

dman72
07-17-2009, 11:38 AM
That video appears to be really old. However, it does prove the point that the guy isn't where he's at just from hitting a lot of tennis balls. He trains hard in all areas.

It also helps that he has access to that kind of training and coaching. $$

scotus
07-17-2009, 11:46 AM
Can anyone tell me the purpose behind practicing serves standing on an aerobic stepper?

Topaz
07-17-2009, 11:50 AM
He uses a platform stance...using the step would help him practice balance during his serve IMO.

Bungalo Bill
07-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Now watch this and note how Rodger hits the ball in such a way so that he can recover and close the court off as soon as possible.

http://www.tennis-tube.net/play.php?vid=311

Footwork. Shot selection. Movement.

Mike Cottrill
07-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Will,
You see that cheep plastic stepper lol

topher.juan
07-17-2009, 02:32 PM
Nice video. I like the drill where the coach throws three balls at once.
How much weight is he benching? 95lbs? incl. bar, obviously reps are key.

rk_sports
07-17-2009, 03:15 PM
very nice.. thanks for sharing..

looked like those drills are so much fun as well... apart from being hard work

funny how Fed looks back then .. btw, who's the other guy there?

Bungalo Bill
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
very nice.. thanks for sharing..

looked like those drills are so much fun as well... apart from being hard work

funny how Fed looks back then .. btw, who's the other guy there?

Love Fed's racquet. :) Racquet I used to play with.

user92626
07-17-2009, 04:11 PM
I don't ever dream to play or have footwork like Fed,

but does anyone know a good drill / exercise to prevent rolling an ankle, twisting a leg or tripping on your own foot? I love playing tennis hard but I still need to be mindful that it's only a hobby to me.

VaBeachTennis
07-17-2009, 08:16 PM

Thanks for posting this goldmine of information regarding training techniques. Nice!

VaBeachTennis
07-17-2009, 08:19 PM
He uses a platform stance...using the step would help him practice balance during his serve IMO.

Yeah, I think that it would help with balance and recovery................

VaBeachTennis
07-17-2009, 08:21 PM
That video appears to be really old. However, it does prove the point that the guy isn't where he's at just from hitting a lot of tennis balls. He trains hard in all areas.

It also helps that he has access to that kind of training and coaching. $$

What's great about that video, is that it gives people great training ideas minus the $$$$$$$$$$

fattsoo
07-18-2009, 01:27 AM
never thought I would enjoy watching someone else's workout as much as this vid

Nadal_R
07-18-2009, 04:04 AM
In the first video, 00:45. What is that thing in their feet? And what is that in 00:28->00:37?

GuyClinch
07-18-2009, 06:10 AM

I think this attitude is fostered by the tennis teaching community - who will often dumb things down for students and blow smoke up their collective.. The USTA tennis 1-2-3 for example makes tennis seem like something easy that you just "learn" with a bit of knowledge.

This is opposed to something like martial arts which people generally percieve as something that is drilled into you. A guy like Robert Lansdorp or BB is the exception not the rule.

As for "natural talent." Well if you have been called "talented" at anything you know that often its the result of hard work not really talent. We don't actually know how talented Federer really is. Once you get good enough at anything so it looks easy people will write it off as talent.

Its more convient to believe in talent rather then to believe you might be lazy.

Pete

tennisnut16
07-18-2009, 10:21 AM
What is it that he is using at 1:14? A racquet with some sort of bag on it? Looks interesting.

tennisnut16
07-18-2009, 10:29 AM
In the first video, 00:45. What is that thing in their feet? And what is that in 00:28->00:37?

Lateral Resistor
http://http://www.oncourtoffcourt.com/pc-80-30-lateral-resistor.aspx

I'm not positive on this one, but by the description it may be it.
http://http://www.oncourtoffcourt.com/pc-131-37-doubles-tandem.aspx

Hidious
07-18-2009, 10:44 AM
tennis-tube dot net? Cool.

nethawkwenatchee
07-18-2009, 09:59 PM
I don't ever dream to play or have footwork like Fed,

but does anyone know a good drill / exercise to prevent rolling an ankle, twisting a leg or tripping on your own foot? I love playing tennis hard but I still need to be mindful that it's only a hobby to me.

Braiding (Physical Therapy)

Braiding on a line ~ Cross left foot over right foot. Step right foot out to side. Cross left
foot behind right. Step right foot out to side, Repeat to opposite side. Good for balance and stability on you’re feet.

The more coordinated your legs/feet become the faster you will be able to repeat these steps.

There are also a number of ankle stability exercises that will decrease the likelyhood of injury... Let me know if you would like me to pass some along to you.

Good Luck!

bee
07-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks for the video link.

Good for players to see he using light weights.

Bee

Bungalo Bill
07-20-2009, 09:20 AM
I think this attitude is fostered by the tennis teaching community - who will often dumb things down for students and blow smoke up their collective.. The USTA tennis 1-2-3 for example makes tennis seem like something easy that you just "learn" with a bit of knowledge.

I am in soooooooo much agreement with this. For many, tennis has been watered down to appease people's interest instead of a challenge which requires effort and dedication.

I remember when Triathlons started in San Diego. Ludicrous distances to be covered through human effort and only a hand full of nuts attempting to do it. Nowadays, there are many many people seeing if they can complete something incredibly difficult. Why is that not in tennis!!??

Also, technical training in sports like Little League, Football, bowling, cycling, running, track and field, mountain biking, motocross, x-games, skiiing, snowboarding, and on and on all require technical knowledge in their sport to perform better and are constantly practiced! But what about tennis!!!! Some only focus on an arm swing, while some say, "just go learn it naturally." What?

If a mountain biker only worked on how to guide the front tire through the course but never worked on the lower bodies efficiency and effectivness in pushing the peddals, how long do you think they would last in the sport?

This is opposed to something like martial arts which people generally percieve as something that is drilled into you. A guy like Robert Lansdorp or BB is the exception not the rule.

I would never make a lesson so hard that you couldn't complete it and give up on tennis. In other words, I walk a fine line in encouragement and discouragement. Discouragement is not what I want. Encouragement and for the player to keep digging a little deeper is what I want.

There is nothing more satisfying that seeing someone accomplish a drill that was once difficult if ot impossible to do for them a few weeks back.

I have taught lessons for free recently since I left thr profession just because I love the feeling of seeing the smile on a person's face when they know they did it. When their confidence swells up inside them, and they realize, not just think, they realize they have come a long way.

That is worth more than money to me and is a large reason why I do not let up on the qaulity of training and don't charge for the lesson. My payback is the smile on that person's face when they know the won - they beat the drill. (geeez, that just gave me chills).

As for "natural talent." Well if you have been called "talented" at anything you know that often its the result of hard work not really talent. We don't actually know how talented Federer really is. Once you get good enough at anything so it looks easy people will write it off as talent.

Its more convient to believe in talent rather then to believe you might be lazy.

And a lot of times "talented" people are lazy. I know I am in certain areas of my life. Things that come easy are approached in the same manner.

user92626
07-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Braiding (Physical Therapy)

Braiding on a line ~ Cross left foot over right foot. Step right foot out to side. Cross left
foot behind right. Step right foot out to side, Repeat to opposite side. Good for balance and stability on you’re feet.

The more coordinated your legs/feet become the faster you will be able to repeat these steps.

There are also a number of ankle stability exercises that will decrease the likelyhood of injury... Let me know if you would like me to pass some along to you.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips. Of course I do want to know about ankle stability exercise. I notice that alot of time I have to reduce spinning/jerking my body hard when hitting a fh or bh so not to lift up and have to land. Basically maintain a more solid base but less power.

millenium
07-20-2009, 01:49 PM
Great video. Does anybody know if there is any dvd available which just show all these exercises for footwork trainning. But as good as these ones.

yellowoctopus
07-20-2009, 02:17 PM
Great video. Does anybody know if there is any dvd available which just show all these exercises for footwork trainning. But as good as these ones.

Try this

http://www.ekmpowershop1.com/ekmps/shops/tennis4everyone/tennis-movement-training-by-jez-green-101-p.asp

He currently trains Murray

eagle
07-20-2009, 04:07 PM
Yep. Footwork. I keep emphasizing that .... ahh never mind. :)

Great vid find.

Quick question. Who is that asian guy in the video? Is he an ATP player? He and his Mom (I think) can be seen in Fed's box most of the time. Just curious.

r,
eagle

150mph_
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
he needs to bench and lift heavier weights...

JMS
07-21-2009, 05:18 PM
he needs to bench and lift heavier weights...

Obviously he does not with the 15 grand slam titles to his name.

150mph_
07-21-2009, 06:17 PM
Obviously he does not with the 15 grand slam titles to his name.

do you fancy looking like a fecking stick?
:confused:

supertrex
07-21-2009, 08:59 PM
nice find here, he really does like the Pro staff, it dont look like 85 tho more like 90.

I knew he have some training for footwork and hand/eye coordination of some sort.

Whats the purpose of that racquet with red plastic bag on it?

tennisfever8181
07-21-2009, 09:23 PM
:confused:

Look at his legs..... and yeah i wouldnt mind... If i had all the titles and what not he owns

kimbahpnam
07-21-2009, 09:29 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=274947

jevonclyde
07-21-2009, 11:14 PM

What a great find! Thanks for sharing.

GuyClinch
07-22-2009, 05:41 AM

Actually studies show that chicks dig the ripped but thin look that alot of pro tennis players have. So yeah I fancy that. Attraction is pretty sophisticated. Women are likely able to distinguish between largely useless vanity muscles and a build that would maximize athletic performance.

Pete

150mph_
07-27-2009, 04:47 AM
Actually studies show that chicks dig the ripped but thin look that alot of pro tennis players have. So yeah I fancy that. Attraction is pretty sophisticated. Women are likely able to distinguish between largely useless vanity muscles and a build that would maximize athletic performance.

Pete

girls want to be lifted up ... i dont think rogelio can lift up mirka without having a fork lift...

dozu
07-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Now watch this and note how Rodger hits the ball in such a way so that he can recover and close the court off as soon as possible.

http://www.tennis-tube.net/play.php?vid=311

Footwork. Shot selection. Movement.

but he lost that point !

Bungalo Bill
07-27-2009, 08:23 AM
but he lost that point !

I couldnt tell if he did or not. Does it matter? LOL

GuyClinch
07-28-2009, 03:58 AM
girls want to be lifted up ... i dont think rogelio can lift up mirka without having a fork lift...

Yeah keep dreaming. Roger could lift a girl to a standing position. Chicks dig tennis player type bodies. A good example is Beckham who is even skinnier then most tennis players, IMHO.