PDA

View Full Version : Returning tension knocb to zero

drop shot
04-07-2004, 08:40 PM
My pro advised me to return my tension indicator knob on my Gamma 5003 to zero after I finish string a racquet. I asked why and he said something about getting better, more accurate results if I did this rather than leaving it 67 lbs or whatever tension I last strung at. Is there any truth to this?

Gaines Hillix
04-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Yes, the tension adjustment knob on a crank machine should be returned to zero after you're done using it. Leaving the knob set to 60 lbs. or whatever keeps the tension head spring under that much tension. If kept under tension like that the spring will relax a little and the next time you use it the tension will not be accurate. I also believe if it's kept under tension constantly the spring will weaken.

rich s
04-08-2004, 06:57 PM
Gaines is correct. When springs are left under load for long periods of time/on a consistant basis they will lose their stiffness. as a result your tension will be lower than indicated by the machine setting.

10usstring
04-11-2004, 06:55 AM
I agree. I always reset the tension head.

Rick (MRT)

brtennis
04-11-2004, 07:16 AM
I understand this is good practice for machine but I wonder how many people actually do it. For most machines, this means turn the tensioning knob 20 revolutions, if it was set at 60 lb(3 lb per revolution).

perfmode
04-29-2004, 03:11 PM
I understand this is good practice for machine but I wonder how many people actually do it. For most machines, this means turn the tensioning knob 20 revolutions, if it was set at 60 lb(3 lb per revolution).

That only takes a minute or two. Protect your investment!

matchpoints
04-29-2004, 10:06 PM
doesnt even take but 30 seconds max.